Ensemble RXTX Local Oscillator Stage - T1 Curious

  • N2BHA
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 25, 2012
      I was wondering, for T1 with two turns, what should I be seeing
      at the secondary. The primary was about 1.8V P-P and the secondary was around 5.7V P-P. Just Curious as to what it should be?

      Many Thanks es 73,
      Vaughn N2BHA
    • Taka Sugi
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 25, 2012
        Hello@Vaughn

        How did you measure@T1 Output?
        How about your probe of the oscilloscope.
        Signal : R12 (the other side of GND)
        GND : (ex) Pin#3 of U4 (GND)
        GND of the probe should be located on R12 side,not on Si-570
        side.
        (please note, PCB GND pattern of USB/Si-570 side and Local
        Oscillater side is separated !)

        JA1TLH/Taka

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 25, 2012
          Subject: [softrock40] Ensemble RXTX Local Oscillator Stage - T1 Curious

          > I was wondering, for T1 with two turns, what should I be seeing
          > at the secondary. The primary was about 1.8V P-P and the secondary was around 5.7V P-P. Just Curious as to what it should be?

          Vaughn,

          There is not really an answer for that. Of thousands of constructors you are the only one to ask.
          Most do not even have a scope. Robby's checks are just basic yes/no.
          I'd suggest yes in your case.

          73 Alan G4ZFQ
        • N2BHA
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 26, 2012
            Hi Taka,

            I am at work so I don't have the schematic in front of me. I now realize that messed up the 1.8V measurement as ground for this should have been taken as USB ground. I used circuit ground. The schematic showed the ground on the secondary side to be on the "other side" hi hi. That is to say, the non USB ground side of things (from memory I think that it was R10 hairpin?) so I used that for the 5.7V P-P measurement. Also, I noticed that the waveform was much more distorted on the secondary than depicted in WB5RVZ's documentation for the section. Can see an overshoot and distortion. I can post the image if you are interested.

            Take Care es 73,
            Vaughn N2BHA

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Taka Sugi" <taka_sugi1206@...> wrote:

            > Hello@Vaughn
            >
            > How did you measure@T1 Output?
            > How about your probe of the oscilloscope.
            > Signal : R12 (the other side of GND)
            > GND : (ex) Pin#3 of U4 (GND)
            > GND of the probe should be located on R12 side,not on Si-570
            > side.
            > (please note, PCB GND pattern of USB/Si-570 side and Local
            > Oscillater side is separated !)
            >
            > JA1TLH/Taka
            >

            > > I was wondering, for T1 with two turns, what should I be seeing
            > > at the secondary. The primary was about 1.8V P-P and the secondary was around 5.7V P-P. Just Curious as to what it should be?
            > >
            > > Many Thanks es 73,
            > > Vaughn N2BHA

          • Taka Sugi
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 26, 2012
              Hello Vaughn

              I think you may measure the signal as peak-to-peak of over/under shoot.
              Generally, probe input capacitance affects wave form and cause gover/under shooth.
              If you observe more correctly, special jack is required. The probe head
              is inserted directly to the jack and signal/GND should be connected as
              short as possible to the points.

              I am using gAgilent 500MHz probe(x10, 10Meg-ohm/8pF), but over/under-
              shoot is observed when using 2inch GND line to the point.

              My Ensemble RXTX T1 secondary output is about 2.5Vpp(atgHh,hLh flat
              level).

              JA1TLH/Taka
            • N2BHA
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 27, 2012
                Many thanks again Taka. I must admit that I relied on the Rigol's (1102 100MHZ 1MΩ 15pF) measurement of 5.7V P-P (a bit lazy of me). This seemed a bit high to me. I will measure on the flats with cursor and see what that yields. Not sure what the Rigol measures. It may indeed be getting the values at the peaks of the over shoot + and -.