Re: [softrock40] Did I kill my Si570?

  • Chris Wilson
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 25, 2012

      > Since the ATtiny in the Softrock is not intended for use with USB
      > and has no slew-rate limiting or pulse-forming hardware, you should
      > always use high quality, well-shielded USB cables with the Softrock,
      > and will not likely have this problem with them.

      > I wish the Softrock used an ATmega16u2 instead; it has a real USB
      > cell, so it'd be more reliable with random USB hosts, we'd be able
      > to reflash them at home without special tools, and they would have
      > enough pins to support all the features of every radio without needing complicated setup.

      > -J.

      25/11/2012 20:51

      I sometimes (well often, actually) have trouble with RF in the PC on
      10 meters, via USB cables. Could RF kill the chip? I had one die
      seemingly randomly after many months of normal operation, and have
      seen the same on a chip in a friend's RX Ensemble that I built for him
      as he has "the shakes" (not booze, or at least he denies that's the
      cause... ;)) That one also died after about 7 months, but he has no
      HF transmitting gear, only microwave stuff.

      --
      Best Regards,
      Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 25, 2012
        Chris:
        I doubt that RF would kill the Si570. It might kill the Attiny as
        that is what is connected to the outside world.
        With power applied and the USB NOT connected, what freq. do you see at
        the Si570 output? When power is first applied, the Si570 outputs its
        default freq.(probably 56.32 MHz). Then the Attiny will program it to
        the start frequency(28.2 MHz ??). If your seeing a lot of 50 Hz then
        perhaps a ground connection is missing.

        Dave - WB6DHW
        <http://wb6dhw.com>

        On 11/25/2012 12:54 PM, Chris Wilson wrote:

        >> Since the ATtiny in the Softrock is not intended for use with USB
        >> and has no slew-rate limiting or pulse-forming hardware, you should
        >> always use high quality, well-shielded USB cables with the Softrock,
        >> and will not likely have this problem with them.
        >> I wish the Softrock used an ATmega16u2 instead; it has a real USB
        >> cell, so it'd be more reliable with random USB hosts, we'd be able
        >> to reflash them at home without special tools, and they would have
        >> enough pins to support all the features of every radio without needing complicated setup.
        >> -J.
        >

        > 25/11/2012 20:51
        >
        > I sometimes (well often, actually) have trouble with RF in the PC on
        > 10 meters, via USB cables. Could RF kill the chip? I had one die
        > seemingly randomly after many months of normal operation, and have
        > seen the same on a chip in a friend's RX Ensemble that I built for him
        > as he has "the shakes" (not booze, or at least he denies that's the
        > cause... ;)) That one also died after about 7 months, but he has no
        > HF transmitting gear, only microwave stuff.

      • John
        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 25, 2012
          Yes more I/O lines so no need to double up on pin functions.  Ten control lines for switchable BPF's for all HF bands would also be handy.

          John G3UGY

          Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2012 8:39 PM
          Subject: Re: [softrock40] Did I kill my Si570?

          Since the ATtiny in the Softrock is not intended for use with USB and has no slew-rate limiting or pulse-forming hardware, you should always use high quality, well-shielded USB cables with the Softrock, and will not likely have this problem with them.

          I wish the Softrock used an ATmega16u2 instead;  it has a real USB cell, so it'd be more reliable with random USB hosts, we'd be able to reflash them at home without special tools, and they would have enough pins to support all the features of every radio without needing complicated setup.

          -J.
        • MIKE DURKIN
          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 25, 2012
            Pull the AVR ... take it out of the equation. With power only to the Si570 it should oscillate at its default freq ... check with scope ... both input data lines should be high.

            Mike KC7NOA

            To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
            From: m6bvj@...
            Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 19:28:56 +0000
            Subject: [softrock40] Re: Did I kill my Si570?

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, MIKE DURKIN <Patriot121@...> wrote:

            > Re-flow the si570

            Done - twice

            >remove most of the solder and recheck...

            Yup,

            >might be a solder bridge ...

            Don't think so

            >or wrong startup freq.

            Well it appears to be OK 28.2MHz

            > Got a scope? See if it has output on the output pins(pin if Cmos)

            Yes, and no in that order :-( well there might be fleeting bits of signal as the xo jumps to a 'sensible' value than the off again.

            Nick

          • Nick

            Afternoon all (well here in UK)

            Had a play, just before I toddle off for a night shift, and with no
            AVR I get the attached view on the 'scope. Time base set at 10mS/div.
            sorry it is out of focus but ... (will also put in files area if I can)

            So looks like I have an ill Si570

            Oh well will order a new one (and a new AVR as well in case it is the
            guilty party in this).

            Thanks for all the help

            73

            Nick

            - --
            I always thought Detritus would be good at: "I bet
            you're wondrin' how many time I fired dis crossbow
            - --"

            (alt.fan.pratchett)
            16:00:01 up 4 days, 2:18, 6 users, load average: 0.53, 0.46, 0.50
          • MIKE DURKIN
            Message 6 of 24 , Nov 26, 2012
              Yea ... that's odd looking ....

              Least the Cmos Si570 and aTtiny85 AVR are fairly cheap ...

              I put mine in backwards .... you can guess the out come ...
              I bought a replacement and 2 spares ...
              Hi hi .....

              KC7NOA

              Message 7 of 24 , Nov 26, 2012
                Message 8 of 24 , Nov 26, 2012
                  For the record.... not one of those got shipped to anyone.
                  Tony discovered this and all in the batch were returned for new ones.

                  73, Tom

                  A few years back we had a batch that might have been like that.
                  I do not remember if anyone posted a scope shot but it was described as pulsing.

                  73 Alan G4ZFQ

                • nick_norman2002
                  Message 9 of 24 , Nov 26, 2012
                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tom Hoflich <km5h@...> wrote:

                    > For the record.... not one of those got shipped to anyone.
                    > Tony discovered this and all in the batch were returned for new ones.
                    >
                    > 73, Tom
                    >
                    > http://km5h.softrockradio.org

                    Well in that case I killed mine or the firmware has gotten corrupted and has written some way funny stuff into the Si570.

                    Either way new ones on the way - and hope to do better next time :-)

                    On a related topic, is a hot-air gun OK to solder these beasts? - I'll need to use one to get the old one off I think.

                    Nick
                    Message 10 of 24 , Nov 26, 2012
                      Message 11 of 24 , Nov 26, 2012
                        I used a soldering gun ... made a solderblob out of it ... still worked after I cleaned it off with wick .... if you're trying to be careful with the board traces ... the Si570 should be fine (specially if it was ok before removal)...

                        Just my Horror Story ... I use a embossing hot air wand now...

                        KC7NOA

                        To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                        From: alan4alan@...
                        Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 21:33:13 +0000
                        Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: Did I kill my Si570?

                        Message 12 of 24 , Nov 26, 2012

                          > >a hot-air gun OK to solder these beasts? - I'll need to use one to get the old one off I think.
                          >
                          > Nick,
                          >
                          > Yes, ideal.
                          > Cover everything else with foil.
                          > They have normally proved very tough, one person did that 3 times.
                          >
                          > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                          OK Good to know - may even use it to attach all the other SMD stuff - seemed to work OK for my 1090MHz receiver ...

                          Nick
                        • Nick

                            Well, not sure I can answer that question but ...

                            I finally got a few hours yesterday (night shift cancelled when I got
                            there) and replaced the Si570 & the AVR - now no funny readings and
                            all seems OK.

                            Many thanks to you all

                            Nick

                            Was M6BVJ, then 2E0CQE & now M0HGU

                            - --
                            Not only did I wipe Lemmings from my hard disc, I overwrote
                            it so's I couldn't get it back.
                            (alt.fan.pratchett)
                            13:15:01 up 2 days, 22:27, 6 users, load average: 0.27, 0.37, 0.43
                          • Nick Norman
                            Message 14 of 24 , Feb 20, 2013
                              On 26/11/12 22:42, nick_norman2002 wrote:

                              > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" <alan4alan@...> wrote:
                              >

                              >>> a hot-air gun OK to solder these beasts? - I'll need to use one to get the old one off I think.
                              >>
                              >> Nick,

                              OK all,

                              A follow up:

                              The original Si570 was broken

                              The replacement is 100%, Finally got round to finished the assembly and
                              it works in RX mode - not tried TX yet as I need to sort out adapters to
                              BNC.

                              Struggling a bit with the various software but - hey that's part of the
                              fun, also struggling with windows (not my native environment).

                              Just thought i let the group know the final outcome.

                              Regards

                              Nick

                              M0HGU

                              --
                              I WAS AT A PARTY, he added, a shade reproachfully.
                              -- Death is summoned by the Wizards
                              Message 15 of 24 , Feb 20, 2013
                                On 20 Feb 2013, at 07:54, Nick Norman <m6bvj@...> wrote:

                                > Struggling a bit with the various software but - hey that's part of the
                                > fun, also struggling with windows (not my native environment).

                                You don't have to use Windows! I use a Mac exclusively for my SoftRock, it works perfectly with DSP Radio once the calibration has been set up (for which I did use Windows).

                                I haven't tried it in Linux, but there are several pieces of software that support SoftRock there too.

                                -J.