Re: [softrock40] Did I kill my Si570?

  • Jasmine Strong
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 25, 2012

      Since the ATtiny in the Softrock is not intended for use with USB and has no slew-rate limiting or pulse-forming hardware, you should always use high quality, well-shielded USB cables with the Softrock, and will not likely have this problem with them.

      I wish the Softrock used an ATmega16u2 instead;  it has a real USB cell, so it'd be more reliable with random USB hosts, we'd be able to reflash them at home without special tools, and they would have enough pins to support all the features of every radio without needing complicated setup.

      -J.

      On 25 Nov 2012, at 12:14, Dave Matthews <n36078@...> wrote:

      I have had the thin wires in the usb cable break loose before and give me fits.
      Dave
      KB2YWT

      On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 3:11 PM, Nick <m6bvj@...> wrote:

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          softrock40-digest@yahoogroups.com
          softrock40-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Chris Wilson
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 25, 2012

        > Since the ATtiny in the Softrock is not intended for use with USB
        > and has no slew-rate limiting or pulse-forming hardware, you should
        > always use high quality, well-shielded USB cables with the Softrock,
        > and will not likely have this problem with them.

        > I wish the Softrock used an ATmega16u2 instead; it has a real USB
        > cell, so it'd be more reliable with random USB hosts, we'd be able
        > to reflash them at home without special tools, and they would have
        > enough pins to support all the features of every radio without needing complicated setup.

        > -J.

        25/11/2012 20:51

        I sometimes (well often, actually) have trouble with RF in the PC on
        10 meters, via USB cables. Could RF kill the chip? I had one die
        seemingly randomly after many months of normal operation, and have
        seen the same on a chip in a friend's RX Ensemble that I built for him
        as he has "the shakes" (not booze, or at least he denies that's the
        cause... ;)) That one also died after about 7 months, but he has no
        HF transmitting gear, only microwave stuff.

        --
        Best Regards,
        Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 25, 2012
          Chris:
          I doubt that RF would kill the Si570. It might kill the Attiny as
          that is what is connected to the outside world.
          With power applied and the USB NOT connected, what freq. do you see at
          the Si570 output? When power is first applied, the Si570 outputs its
          default freq.(probably 56.32 MHz). Then the Attiny will program it to
          the start frequency(28.2 MHz ??). If your seeing a lot of 50 Hz then
          perhaps a ground connection is missing.

          Dave - WB6DHW
          <http://wb6dhw.com>

          On 11/25/2012 12:54 PM, Chris Wilson wrote:

          >> Since the ATtiny in the Softrock is not intended for use with USB
          >> and has no slew-rate limiting or pulse-forming hardware, you should
          >> always use high quality, well-shielded USB cables with the Softrock,
          >> and will not likely have this problem with them.
          >> I wish the Softrock used an ATmega16u2 instead; it has a real USB
          >> cell, so it'd be more reliable with random USB hosts, we'd be able
          >> to reflash them at home without special tools, and they would have
          >> enough pins to support all the features of every radio without needing complicated setup.
          >> -J.
          >

          > 25/11/2012 20:51
          >
          > I sometimes (well often, actually) have trouble with RF in the PC on
          > 10 meters, via USB cables. Could RF kill the chip? I had one die
          > seemingly randomly after many months of normal operation, and have
          > seen the same on a chip in a friend's RX Ensemble that I built for him
          > as he has "the shakes" (not booze, or at least he denies that's the
          > cause... ;)) That one also died after about 7 months, but he has no
          > HF transmitting gear, only microwave stuff.

        • John
          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 25, 2012
            Yes more I/O lines so no need to double up on pin functions.  Ten control lines for switchable BPF's for all HF bands would also be handy.

            John G3UGY

            Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2012 8:39 PM
            Subject: Re: [softrock40] Did I kill my Si570?

            Since the ATtiny in the Softrock is not intended for use with USB and has no slew-rate limiting or pulse-forming hardware, you should always use high quality, well-shielded USB cables with the Softrock, and will not likely have this problem with them.

            I wish the Softrock used an ATmega16u2 instead;  it has a real USB cell, so it'd be more reliable with random USB hosts, we'd be able to reflash them at home without special tools, and they would have enough pins to support all the features of every radio without needing complicated setup.

            -J.
          • MIKE DURKIN
            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 25, 2012
              Pull the AVR ... take it out of the equation. With power only to the Si570 it should oscillate at its default freq ... check with scope ... both input data lines should be high.

              Mike KC7NOA

              To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
              From: m6bvj@...
              Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 19:28:56 +0000
              Subject: [softrock40] Re: Did I kill my Si570?

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, MIKE DURKIN <Patriot121@...> wrote:

              > Re-flow the si570

              Done - twice

              >remove most of the solder and recheck...

              Yup,

              >might be a solder bridge ...

              Don't think so

              >or wrong startup freq.

              Well it appears to be OK 28.2MHz

              > Got a scope? See if it has output on the output pins(pin if Cmos)

              Yes, and no in that order :-( well there might be fleeting bits of signal as the xo jumps to a 'sensible' value than the off again.

              Nick

            • Nick

              Afternoon all (well here in UK)

              Had a play, just before I toddle off for a night shift, and with no
              AVR I get the attached view on the 'scope. Time base set at 10mS/div.
              sorry it is out of focus but ... (will also put in files area if I can)

              So looks like I have an ill Si570

              Oh well will order a new one (and a new AVR as well in case it is the
              guilty party in this).

              Thanks for all the help

              73

              Nick

              - --
              I always thought Detritus would be good at: "I bet
              you're wondrin' how many time I fired dis crossbow
              - --"

              (alt.fan.pratchett)
              16:00:01 up 4 days, 2:18, 6 users, load average: 0.53, 0.46, 0.50
            • MIKE DURKIN
              Message 7 of 24 , Nov 26, 2012
                Yea ... that's odd looking ....

                Least the Cmos Si570 and aTtiny85 AVR are fairly cheap ...

                I put mine in backwards .... you can guess the out come ...
                I bought a replacement and 2 spares ...
                Hi hi .....

                KC7NOA

                Message 8 of 24 , Nov 26, 2012

                  >that's odd looking ....

                  A few years back we had a batch that might have been like that.
                  I do not remember if anyone posted a scope shot but it was described as pulsing.

                  73 Alan G4ZFQ
                • Tom Hoflich
                  Message 9 of 24 , Nov 26, 2012
                    For the record.... not one of those got shipped to anyone.
                    Tony discovered this and all in the batch were returned for new ones.

                    73, Tom

                    A few years back we had a batch that might have been like that.
                    I do not remember if anyone posted a scope shot but it was described as pulsing.

                    73 Alan G4ZFQ

                  • nick_norman2002
                    Message 10 of 24 , Nov 26, 2012
                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tom Hoflich <km5h@...> wrote:

                      > For the record.... not one of those got shipped to anyone.
                      > Tony discovered this and all in the batch were returned for new ones.
                      >
                      > 73, Tom
                      >
                      > http://km5h.softrockradio.org

                      Well in that case I killed mine or the firmware has gotten corrupted and has written some way funny stuff into the Si570.

                      Either way new ones on the way - and hope to do better next time :-)

                      On a related topic, is a hot-air gun OK to solder these beasts? - I'll need to use one to get the old one off I think.

                      Nick
                      Message 11 of 24 , Nov 26, 2012

                        > For the record.... not one of those got shipped to anyone.

                        Actually some were. Several had bad ones then Tony started testing them.

                        >a hot-air gun OK to solder these beasts? - I'll need to use one to get the old one off I think.

                        Nick,

                        Yes, ideal.
                        Cover everything else with foil.
                        They have normally proved very tough, one person did that 3 times.

                        73 Alan G4ZFQ
                      • MIKE DURKIN
                        Message 12 of 24 , Nov 26, 2012
                          I used a soldering gun ... made a solderblob out of it ... still worked after I cleaned it off with wick .... if you're trying to be careful with the board traces ... the Si570 should be fine (specially if it was ok before removal)...

                          Just my Horror Story ... I use a embossing hot air wand now...

                          KC7NOA

                          To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                          From: alan4alan@...
                          Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 21:33:13 +0000
                          Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: Did I kill my Si570?

                          Message 13 of 24 , Nov 26, 2012

                            > >a hot-air gun OK to solder these beasts? - I'll need to use one to get the old one off I think.
                            >
                            > Nick,
                            >
                            > Yes, ideal.
                            > Cover everything else with foil.
                            > They have normally proved very tough, one person did that 3 times.
                            >
                            > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                            OK Good to know - may even use it to attach all the other SMD stuff - seemed to work OK for my 1090MHz receiver ...

                            Nick
                          • Nick
                            • Nick Norman
                              Message 15 of 24 , Feb 20, 2013
                                On 26/11/12 22:42, nick_norman2002 wrote:

                                > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" <alan4alan@...> wrote:
                                >

                                >>> a hot-air gun OK to solder these beasts? - I'll need to use one to get the old one off I think.
                                >>
                                >> Nick,

                                OK all,

                                A follow up:

                                The original Si570 was broken

                                The replacement is 100%, Finally got round to finished the assembly and
                                it works in RX mode - not tried TX yet as I need to sort out adapters to
                                BNC.

                                Struggling a bit with the various software but - hey that's part of the
                                fun, also struggling with windows (not my native environment).

                                Just thought i let the group know the final outcome.

                                Regards

                                Nick

                                M0HGU

                                --
                                I WAS AT A PARTY, he added, a shade reproachfully.
                                -- Death is summoned by the Wizards
                                Message 16 of 24 , Feb 20, 2013
                                  On 20 Feb 2013, at 07:54, Nick Norman <m6bvj@...> wrote:

                                  > Struggling a bit with the various software but - hey that's part of the
                                  > fun, also struggling with windows (not my native environment).

                                  You don't have to use Windows! I use a Mac exclusively for my SoftRock, it works perfectly with DSP Radio once the calibration has been set up (for which I did use Windows).

                                  I haven't tried it in Linux, but there are several pieces of software that support SoftRock there too.

                                  -J.