Re: [softrock40] Newbie Question regarding inductor wire.

  • Chris Wilson
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 23, 2012

      > Building a lite II kit and I'm wondering if the red wire Tony
      > supplies for the inductors is "heat strippable"?

      > Found the surface mount stuff to be less difficult than I thought.
      > Use a small tip, lots of magnification and lots of light. Small
      > diameter solder, and be on the slightly more stingy side with it.

      > Found the toroid winding so far to be quite easy, but I haven't
      > tackled the bifilar xfmr yet. That's my last bit to do before I can
      > call the construction phase complete.

      > 73, Craig - N7OR

      23/11/2012 21:24

      If you have a variable temperature control soldering iron wind it up
      full and put a blob of cored solder on the tip at the same time as the
      enamelled wire. When it gives off eye smarting acrid smoke the job is
      done and you should have a stripped and tinned end. I use an old bit
      in the iron, although I am sure it won't really do much harm to a mint
      bit. I find it much the best way, scraping can damage the copper and
      make the already fragile "tails" more prone to breakage when you
      prettify the coil orientation, and it's far quicker. With a bit of
      practice you can judge to a millimeter or two how far the tinning will
      reach up the wire.

      --
      Best Regards,
      Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 23, 2012
        Thanks. The stripping went okay, as did all of the voltage, current draw, continuity and resistance tests.

        Results of on air tests are one dead rx so far. I've gone about as far as I can without bringing my scope home from work. Feel fairly confident of my SW setup and I do have a true stereo line-in port, but I see/hear nothing but noise and it doesn't change at all if I unplug from the line in port or power off the softrock.

        If I can't get this simple thing to work, I may have an ensemble rx new in package for sale soon.

        73 - N7OR

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Chris Wilson <chris@...> wrote:

        > > Building a lite II kit and I'm wondering if the red wire Tony
        > > supplies for the inductors is "heat strippable"?
        >
        > > Found the surface mount stuff to be less difficult than I thought.
        > > Use a small tip, lots of magnification and lots of light. Small
        > > diameter solder, and be on the slightly more stingy side with it.
        >
        > > Found the toroid winding so far to be quite easy, but I haven't
        > > tackled the bifilar xfmr yet. That's my last bit to do before I can
        > > call the construction phase complete.
        >
        > > 73, Craig - N7OR
        >

        > 23/11/2012 21:24
        >
        > If you have a variable temperature control soldering iron wind it up
        > full and put a blob of cored solder on the tip at the same time as the
        > enamelled wire. When it gives off eye smarting acrid smoke the job is
        > done and you should have a stripped and tinned end. I use an old bit
        > in the iron, although I am sure it won't really do much harm to a mint
        > bit. I find it much the best way, scraping can damage the copper and
        > make the already fragile "tails" more prone to breakage when you
        > prettify the coil orientation, and it's far quicker. With a bit of
        > practice you can judge to a millimeter or two how far the tinning will
        > reach up the wire.
        >
        > --
        > Best Regards,
        > Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY

      • Roger Critchlow
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 23, 2012

          What antenna?  There's no RF gain at all, need two wires to ant in.

          -- rec --

          On Nov 23, 2012 9:06 PM, "n7or" <craig.n7or@...> wrote:

          Thanks. The stripping went okay, as did all of the voltage, current draw, continuity and resistance tests.

          Results of on air tests are one dead rx so far. I've gone about as far as I can without bringing my scope home from work. Feel fairly confident of my SW setup and I do have a true stereo line-in port, but I see/hear nothing but noise and it doesn't change at all if I unplug from the line in port or power off the softrock.

          If I can't get this simple thing to work, I may have an ensemble rx new in package for sale soon.

          73 - N7OR

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Chris Wilson <chris@...> wrote:

          > > Building a lite II kit and I'm wondering if the red wire Tony
          > > supplies for the inductors is "heat strippable"?
          >
          > > Found the surface mount stuff to be less difficult than I thought.
          > > Use a small tip, lots of magnification and lots of light. Small
          > > diameter solder, and be on the slightly more stingy side with it.
          >
          > > Found the toroid winding so far to be quite easy, but I haven't
          > > tackled the bifilar xfmr yet. That's my last bit to do before I can
          > > call the construction phase complete.
          >
          > > 73, Craig - N7OR
          >

          > 23/11/2012 21:24
          >
          > If you have a variable temperature control soldering iron wind it up
          > full and put a blob of cored solder on the tip at the same time as the
          > enamelled wire. When it gives off eye smarting acrid smoke the job is
          > done and you should have a stripped and tinned end. I use an old bit
          > in the iron, although I am sure it won't really do much harm to a mint
          > bit. I find it much the best way, scraping can damage the copper and
          > make the already fragile "tails" more prone to breakage when you
          > prettify the coil orientation, and it's far quicker. With a bit of
          > practice you can judge to a millimeter or two how far the tinning will
          > reach up the wire.
          >
          > --
          > Best Regards,
          > Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY

        • Jasmine Strong
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 23, 2012

            If you see no change at all when you unplug the line input cable, either you have the wrong audio input selected, input muted, or you have the plugs in the wrong holes on the Softrock (the one silkscreened Line In goes to the Line In on the PC-  confusing, I know.)

            On 23 Nov 2012, at 20:17, Roger Critchlow <rec@...> wrote:

            What antenna?  There's no RF gain at all, need two wires to ant in.

            -- rec --

            On Nov 23, 2012 9:06 PM, "n7or" <craig.n7or@...> wrote:

            Thanks. The stripping went okay, as did all of the voltage, current draw, continuity and resistance tests.

            Results of on air tests are one dead rx so far. I've gone about as far as I can without bringing my scope home from work. Feel fairly confident of my SW setup and I do have a true stereo line-in port, but I see/hear nothing but noise and it doesn't change at all if I unplug from the line in port or power off the softrock.

            If I can't get this simple thing to work, I may have an ensemble rx new in package for sale soon.

            73 - N7OR

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Chris Wilson <chris@...> wrote:

            > > Building a lite II kit and I'm wondering if the red wire Tony
            > > supplies for the inductors is "heat strippable"?
            >
            > > Found the surface mount stuff to be less difficult than I thought.
            > > Use a small tip, lots of magnification and lots of light. Small
            > > diameter solder, and be on the slightly more stingy side with it.
            >
            > > Found the toroid winding so far to be quite easy, but I haven't
            > > tackled the bifilar xfmr yet. That's my last bit to do before I can
            > > call the construction phase complete.
            >
            > > 73, Craig - N7OR
            >

            > 23/11/2012 21:24
            >
            > If you have a variable temperature control soldering iron wind it up
            > full and put a blob of cored solder on the tip at the same time as the
            > enamelled wire. When it gives off eye smarting acrid smoke the job is
            > done and you should have a stripped and tinned end. I use an old bit
            > in the iron, although I am sure it won't really do much harm to a mint
            > bit. I find it much the best way, scraping can damage the copper and
            > make the already fragile "tails" more prone to breakage when you
            > prettify the coil orientation, and it's far quicker. With a bit of
            > practice you can judge to a millimeter or two how far the tinning will
            > reach up the wire.
            >
            > --
            > Best Regards,
            > Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY

          • n7or
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 23, 2012
              This is a lite II, so it is silkscreened "tip gnd ring". Think I got that right. Going to give an actual coax fed dipole a go tomorrow. I admit, I was trying a random length of wire laying around the shop but NO RETURN! If I see zilch still, I'll bring my service monitor and scope home and get to signal tracing.

              Thinking I boneheaded the antenna test at this point.

              Thanks! 73, N7OR.

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 23, 2012
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 24, 2012
                  I haven't seen enough to tell whether this is your first SDR.  Just in case it is, it would be a good idea to demonstrate which side of the audio cable the problem lies on.  (I spent more time going around in circles because of PC issues than I did debugging hardware issues.)

                  Unplug your Softrock from your PC.  Connect an audio source to the same jack on your PC.  Run your SDR software.  Generate audio from your audio source.  You'll see activity (noise) on your spectrum display, if your PC is configured correctly.  Prove this side is working before you worry about the radio.

                  Kevin / K4KPK

                • scott jacobs
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 24, 2012
                    I had the same issues with my Lite II also.  Found out I had wound the transformer wrong.
                    So I bit the bullet and rewound both L1 and T1.

                    I am using mine as a panadapter for my IC761.  The only trouble I seem to be having now

                    is configuring the software correctly(HDSDR).

                    --- In mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com, Jasmine Strong <modulararithmetic@...> wrote:

                    > If you see no change at all when you unplug the line input cable, either you have the wrong audio input selected, input muted, or you have the plugs in the wrong holes on the Softrock (the one silkscreened Line In goes to the Line In on the PC- confusing, I know.)
                    >
                    > On 23 Nov 2012, at 20:17, Roger Critchlow <rec@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > > What antenna? There's no RF gain at all, need two wires to ant in.
                    > >
                    > > -- rec --
                    > >
                    > > On Nov 23, 2012 9:06 PM, "n7or" <craig.n7or@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Thanks. The stripping went okay, as did all of the voltage, current draw, continuity and resistance tests.
                    > >
                    > > Results of on air tests are one dead rx so far. I've gone about as far as I can without bringing my scope home from work. Feel fairly confident of my SW setup and I do have a true stereo line-in port, but I see/hear nothing but noise and it doesn't change at all if I unplug from the line in port or power off the softrock.
                    > >
                    > > If I can't get this simple thing to work, I may have an ensemble rx new in package for sale soon.
                    > >
                    > > 73 - N7OR

                    > > > 23/11/2012 21:24
                    > > >
                    > > > If you have a variable temperature control soldering iron wind it up
                    > > > full and put a blob of cored solder on the tip at the same time as the
                    > > > enamelled wire. When it gives off eye smarting acrid smoke the job is
                    > > > done and you should have a stripped and tinned end. I use an old bit
                    > > > in the iron, although I am sure it won't really do much harm to a mint
                    > > > bit. I find it much the best way, scraping can damage the copper and
                    > > > make the already fragile "tails" more prone to breakage when you
                    > > > prettify the coil orientation, and it's far quicker. With a bit of
                    > > > practice you can judge to a millimeter or two how far the tinning will
                    > > > reach up the wire.
                    > > >
                    > > > --
                    > > > Best Regards,
                    > > > Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY

                  • n7or
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 24, 2012
                      It is my first SDR, yes. I did what you said with the line input a day or two ago, and that appears to be good. I see it (music) in HDSDR, Rocky and SDR Sharp.

                      I still need to test with an actual antenna before I blame the radio.

                      And yep, I may very well have a T-1 issue, but I will try a better antenna first, then if I have zilch I can inject a known signal and start tracing.

                      Thanks all!

                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Kleinfelter <kleinfelter.groups@...> wrote:

                      > I haven't seen enough to tell whether this is your first SDR. Just in case
                      > it is, it would be a good idea to demonstrate which side of the audio cable
                      > the problem lies on. (I spent more time going around in circles because of
                      > PC issues than I did debugging hardware issues.)
                      >
                      > Unplug your Softrock from your PC. Connect an audio source to the same
                      > jack on your PC. Run your SDR software. Generate audio from your audio
                      > source. You'll see activity (noise) on your spectrum display, if your PC
                      > is configured correctly. Prove this side is working before you worry about
                      > the radio.
                      >
                      > Kevin / K4KPK

                    • scott jacobs
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 24, 2012
                        I injected a signal too that is how I found it was an t1 issue.
                        I resulted to a trick an elmer showed me about stripping enamled wire...a lighter.
                        then a little light sandpaper and then tin...works every time.

                        --- In mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com, Kevin Kleinfelter <kleinfelter.groups@...> wrote:

                        > I haven't seen enough to tell whether this is your first SDR. Just in case
                        > it is, it would be a good idea to demonstrate which side of the audio cable
                        > the problem lies on. (I spent more time going around in circles because of
                        > PC issues than I did debugging hardware issues.)
                        >
                        > Unplug your Softrock from your PC. Connect an audio source to the same
                        > jack on your PC. Run your SDR software. Generate audio from your audio
                        > source. You'll see activity (noise) on your spectrum display, if your PC
                        > is configured correctly. Prove this side is working before you worry about
                        > the radio.
                        >
                        > Kevin / K4KPK

                      • n7or
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 24, 2012
                          This morning I ran audio out of a source into my line-in, and when I was satisfied that was functioning (HDSDR) I put the output of the Softrock in the same jack. Instead of a random length of wire, I threw about a 10 foot loop onto the floor of the computer room and looped it back into the antenna return. Crude, but I was soon copying several West coast stations working the contest on 40! Success! I heard a VE7, a W6, a W9 and a very faint signal that I could not copy that I determined was a JA! Not bad for the worst antenna ever. I am confident now in my soldering and toroidal skills. If I hear this much with basically a dummy load, I probably built this thing right. I will string up a proper antenna this afternoon and the band should be quite busy again tonight.

                          I just built this thing to see if I could. I have as ensemble RX here for next Winter project.

                          Thanks all!