Re: Using Softrock Rx Ensmble II with Rocky 3.7

  • warrenallgyer
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 22, 2012
      PowerSDR does not work for me because of limitations I have put on my operation. I will only use the cheapest netbook I can find and PowerSDR, as great as it is does not adapt its' GUI to the limited netbook screen.

      Rocky's value to me is its' integrated BPSK31, its' noise floor adaption, and some of the tools like the integrated two tone test generator, not to mention it is an incredible VNA with a minor mod to the RXTX. All of these functions are available using a netbook with Win 7 32 and a USB card. It also works great with WSPR in this configuration. But you will not be happy with it for CW or for general listening on Win 7. For that you will need to revert to XP. I have had email exchanges with Alex about this and I don't hold out hope for it changing.

      I would love to go the PowerSDR route but, until the screen is adapted and some digital modes integrated I am staying with HDSDR for those needs that Rocky and WSPR do not satisfy.

      My two cents...... as usual it turned into at least a nickel.

      Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

    • kr5rk@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 22, 2012
        Just had to add my 2 cents worth here, defending Rocky!

        Yes, Rocky can be annoying, but.....

        Using Rocky with a barefoot 30/20/17 RXTX, into carefully tuned dipoles, I have worked 48 states and 27 countries, many at 6,000+ miles, on a combination of CW and PSK31. OUTSTANDING receiver!

        Old HP Compaq d530, EMU 0202 with internal SoundMax audio, XP/SP3, Rocky 3.7 - - straight key and iambic. I've also got it to work on HP Compaq d510s, a Gateway, and a Dell d620 laptop with docking station -- all XP/SP3.

        Real pain to get setup, and keep working. Sometimes get that stuttering breakup of audio and waterfall print - CPU maxed out. But, in my opinion, no other software is close to Rocky's beautiful waterfall presentation! I can "see" and copy signals with this combo that I can't hear with my FT-817.

        Have an Ensemble II receiving really well with HDSDR on a Dell E4300 laptop and the EMU 0202; CPU running less than 40%. Rocky is a no go with this combo - barely works in spectrum mode, hardly at all with the waterfall. Task Manager says CPU is at 80-100% with nothing else running.

        I see that the RXTX will work with HDSDR - but I'm unwilling to invest the time right now.

        BTW, it's Thanks Giving, so must say many thanks to Tony, Alan, Robby, and really, all of you, for getting me interested and back into this wonderful hobby after a 40 year absence.

        73, de JB kr5rr *~*~*

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "nealmartini" <nealmartini@...> wrote:

        > I can successfully use my Rx Ensemble II with the following receivers/controllers:
        >
        > PowerSDR V1.9.0
        > HDSDR
        > SDR-Radio V1.5
        > Softrock Configuration Tool PE0FKO
        > SI570-USB Controller DG8SAQ
        >
        > I am NOT ABLE to get the Ensemble II working with Rocky 3.7 or SDRadio v1.00.
        >
        > Any suggestions anyone?????
        >
        > Neal

      • John Greusel
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 22, 2012
          Warren,

          I too use a netbook (Acer Aspire One) but I use the higher resolution display moving function to create a functionally larger screen and PSDR fits fine. I do however have the "jumbo" sized 10" screen. :-)

          John
          KC9OJV

          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 22, 2012
            Amen to that!

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kr5rk@..." <kr5rk.j@...> wrote:

            > BTW, it's Thanks Giving, so must say many thanks to Tony, Alan, Robby, and really, all of you, for getting me interested and back into this wonderful hobby after a 40 year absence.
            >
            > 73, de JB kr5rr *~*~*
          • Jose Bonanca
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 23, 2012
              Hi Ulf,
              I am using a 32 bit win 7.
              I also use XP (limited) and D44. it seems I prefer the configurattion of win7.
              Thank you
              73

              On 22 November 2012 22:54, Ulf Holt Gmail <ulf.holt@...> wrote:

              Are you running 32 or 64 bit version of Win 7? Have tried Rocky 3.7, but will not see my sound card (internal) or radio. PowerSDR-iq works as a dream?

              73 de LA2SL

              Ulf

              Den 22. nov. 2012 kl. 23:40 skrev Jabct1aos <jabct1aos@...>:

              Hi ...

              I am using ROCKY7 and winnie 7 and find it very easy and usefull. SB xifi cteative ... Not a single problem .
              73

              Enviado de Samsung Mobile

              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 23, 2012
                AGREED