Using Softrock Rx Ensmble II with Rocky 3.7

  • nealmartini
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 21, 2012
      I can successfully use my Rx Ensemble II with the following receivers/controllers:

      PowerSDR V1.9.0
      HDSDR
      SDR-Radio V1.5
      Softrock Configuration Tool PE0FKO
      SI570-USB Controller DG8SAQ

      I am NOT ABLE to get the Ensemble II working with Rocky 3.7 or SDRadio v1.00.

      Any suggestions anyone?????

      Neal
    • John Greusel
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 21, 2012
        Try PowerSDR 2.4 (special version from Christos) SDR# and WSPR forget Rocky and the earlier version of SDR Radio.

        John
        KC9OJV

        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 21, 2012
          That's good to know... I have a rig I will have powered up shortly, and
          was going to go the Rocky route... Is the PowerSDR 2.4 the one from
          Flex Radio?
          --
          73's and Thanks,
          Dave

          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 21, 2012

            > That's good to know... I have a rig I will have powered up shortly, and
            > was going to go the Rocky route... Is the PowerSDR 2.4 the one from
            > Flex Radio?
            > --

            Dave

          • Dave Cole
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 22, 2012
              Thanks Alan! Just got it... I expect my rig today or tomorrow!
              --

              On Thu, 2012-11-22 at 06:16 +0000, Alan wrote:
> [...]
            • John Greusel
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 22, 2012
                Rocky is actually a very good program but it just doesn't run well on newer systems.
                It has a very good scheme for IQ balancing and is a good PSK31 interface, cw too I think but I never used that feature.

                John
                KC9OJV

                That's good to know... I have a rig I will have powered up shortly, and
                was going to go the Rocky route... Is the PowerSDR 2.4 the one from
                Flex Radio?
                --
                73's and Thanks,
                Dave
                http://www.nk7z.net for equipment reviews, propagation, and more...

                On Wed, 2012-11-21 at 17:55 -0800, John Greusel wrote:

                > Try PowerSDR 2.4 (special version from Christos) SDR# and WSPR forget
                > Rocky and the earlier version of SDR Radio.
                >

                > John
                > KC9OJV

              • Brent G DeWitt
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 22, 2012

                  I don’t really understand the Rocky bashing I hear so often.  I use it daily with an RXTX Ensemble on CW or PSK31 and it works very well.  Best to date is 8400 miles/watt with a long wire.

                  73,

                  Brent, AB1LF

                  Milford, MA

                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 22, 2012

                    >I don’t really understand the Rocky bashing I hear so often. I use it daily with an RXTX Ensemble on CW or PSK31 and it works very
                    >well.

                    Brent,

                    What platform do you use?
                    Many find it will not run on Windows 7.

                    From what I've read I think it IS possible but may need some perseverance with USB audio.

                    73 Alan G4ZFQ
                  • Brent G DeWitt
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 22, 2012

                      I’m a dinosaur using XP, so I haven’t run into that problem yet.  Seems to also work using WINE under Ubuntu Linux on my laptop.

                      - Brent, AB1LF

                      Milford, MA

                      >I don’t really understand the Rocky bashing I hear so often. I use it daily with an RXTX Ensemble on CW or PSK31 and it works very
                      >well.

                      Brent,

                      What platform do you use?
                      Many find it will not run on Windows 7.

                      From what I've read I think it IS possible but may need some perseverance with USB audio.

                      73 Alan G4ZFQ

                    • John Greusel
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 22, 2012
                        Brent,
                        You mileage varies from my experience.
                        I can use it but it requires that I stop using my USB soundcard and only use the internal card on my laptop.
                        Alternatively, I find that Fldigi and HDSDR make a great combination for digital modes and a modest computer.
                        It does require the virtual audio cable and virtual serial interface (which I'll admit is a nightmare to configure) but once it's configured it's really a great digital mode combination. I'm not a CW op so that option in Rocky isn't a help to me.
                        Rocky is a good program but it's so demanding of soundcard requirements as to be impractical for many.

                        John
                        KC9OJV

                        >I don’t really understand the Rocky bashing I hear so often. I use it daily with an RXTX Ensemble on CW or PSK31 and it works very
                        >well.

                        Brent,

                        What platform do you use?
                        Many find it will not run on Windows 7.

                        From what I've read I think it IS possible but may need some perseverance with USB audio.

                        73 Alan G4ZFQ

                      • Brent G DeWitt
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 22, 2012

                          Interesting.  I’ve used Rocky with external USB SoundBlaster Extigy and now xFi under XP with no problems.  Haven’t tried the xFi under Ubuntu yet.

                          I have tried the fldigi/HDSDR combo using the virtual connections and it worked well, but the latency on my computer made sending CW impossible for me.  I do like having the multiple streams of PSK decode going on though.

                          Brent, AB1LF

                          Milford, MA

                          >I don’t really understand the Rocky bashing I hear so often. I use it daily with an RXTX Ensemble on CW or PSK31 and it works very
                          >well.

                          Brent,

                          What platform do you use?
                          Many find it will not run on Windows 7.

                          From what I've read I think it IS possible but may need some perseverance with USB audio.

                          73 Alan G4ZFQ

                        • Jabct1aos
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 22, 2012
                            Hi ...
                            I am using ROCKY7 and winnie 7 and find it very easy and usefull. SB xifi cteative ... Not a single problem .
                            73

                            Enviado de Samsung Mobile

                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 22, 2012
                              I had to jump in here to say that for CW use Rocky is just unbeatable for its panaoramic display of signals and simplicity
                              of use  - the pick out of QRP signals is far superior to my TS570 alongside it.
                              I have a Tx/Rx 3.2 and an Ensemble both working fine with XP and W7 64bit  on a 7 year old Compaq laptop
                              with soundcard Soundblaster 24bit external USB.
                              With W7 however it may be necessary on the first run of Rocky software to switch back to the view settings box
                               a couple of times  to elimate noise spikes. Then no problem.
                              Bi way I read every email and pick out so much useful interesting info. from you regular contributors - you
                              know who you are and my thanks for all your knowledge and tips.

                              Ken Hardy M0XBK

                              That's good to know... I have a rig I will have powered up shortly, and
                              was going to go the Rocky route... Is the PowerSDR 2.4 the one from
                              Flex Radio?
                              --
                              73's and Thanks,
                              Dave
                              http://www.nk7z.net for equipment reviews, propagation, and more...

                              On Wed, 2012-11-21 at 17:55 -0800, John Greusel wrote:

                              > Try PowerSDR 2.4 (special version from Christos) SDR# and WSPR forget
                              > Rocky and the earlier version of SDR Radio.
                              >

                              > John
                              > KC9OJV

                            • John Greusel
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 22, 2012
                                Keep up the good work Brent.
                                Maybe you can write a howto on using Rocky with newer systems and external soundcards.

                                John
                                KC9OJV

                                >I don’t really understand the Rocky bashing I hear so often. I use it daily with an RXTX Ensemble on CW or PSK31 and it works very
                                >well.

                                Brent,

                                What platform do you use?
                                Many find it will not run on Windows 7.

                                From what I've read I think it IS possible but may need some perseverance with USB audio.

                                73 Alan G4ZFQ

                              • nealmartini
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 22, 2012
                                  I tried using Rocky 7 on both Win7 and XP2000 platforms without any luck.
                                  Neal

                                  > Subject: RE: [softrock40] Using Softrock Rx Ensmble II with Rocky 3.7
                                  >

                                  > >I don’t really understand the Rocky bashing I hear so often. I use it daily with an RXTX Ensemble on CW or PSK31 and it works very
                                  > >well.
                                  >
                                  > Brent,
                                  >
                                  > What platform do you use?
                                  > Many find it will not run on Windows 7.
                                  >
                                  > From what I've read I think it IS possible but may need some perseverance with USB audio.
                                  >
                                  > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                                • Ulf Holt Gmail

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 22, 2012
                                      PowerSDR does not work for me because of limitations I have put on my operation. I will only use the cheapest netbook I can find and PowerSDR, as great as it is does not adapt its' GUI to the limited netbook screen.

                                      Rocky's value to me is its' integrated BPSK31, its' noise floor adaption, and some of the tools like the integrated two tone test generator, not to mention it is an incredible VNA with a minor mod to the RXTX. All of these functions are available using a netbook with Win 7 32 and a USB card. It also works great with WSPR in this configuration. But you will not be happy with it for CW or for general listening on Win 7. For that you will need to revert to XP. I have had email exchanges with Alex about this and I don't hold out hope for it changing.

                                      I would love to go the PowerSDR route but, until the screen is adapted and some digital modes integrated I am staying with HDSDR for those needs that Rocky and WSPR do not satisfy.

                                      My two cents...... as usual it turned into at least a nickel.

                                      Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

                                    • kr5rk@ymail.com
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Nov 22, 2012
                                        Just had to add my 2 cents worth here, defending Rocky!

                                        Yes, Rocky can be annoying, but.....

                                        Using Rocky with a barefoot 30/20/17 RXTX, into carefully tuned dipoles, I have worked 48 states and 27 countries, many at 6,000+ miles, on a combination of CW and PSK31. OUTSTANDING receiver!

                                        Old HP Compaq d530, EMU 0202 with internal SoundMax audio, XP/SP3, Rocky 3.7 - - straight key and iambic. I've also got it to work on HP Compaq d510s, a Gateway, and a Dell d620 laptop with docking station -- all XP/SP3.

                                        Real pain to get setup, and keep working. Sometimes get that stuttering breakup of audio and waterfall print - CPU maxed out. But, in my opinion, no other software is close to Rocky's beautiful waterfall presentation! I can "see" and copy signals with this combo that I can't hear with my FT-817.

                                        Have an Ensemble II receiving really well with HDSDR on a Dell E4300 laptop and the EMU 0202; CPU running less than 40%. Rocky is a no go with this combo - barely works in spectrum mode, hardly at all with the waterfall. Task Manager says CPU is at 80-100% with nothing else running.

                                        I see that the RXTX will work with HDSDR - but I'm unwilling to invest the time right now.

                                        BTW, it's Thanks Giving, so must say many thanks to Tony, Alan, Robby, and really, all of you, for getting me interested and back into this wonderful hobby after a 40 year absence.

                                        73, de JB kr5rr *~*~*

                                        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "nealmartini" <nealmartini@...> wrote:

                                        > I can successfully use my Rx Ensemble II with the following receivers/controllers:
                                        >
                                        > PowerSDR V1.9.0
                                        > HDSDR
                                        > SDR-Radio V1.5
                                        > Softrock Configuration Tool PE0FKO
                                        > SI570-USB Controller DG8SAQ
                                        >
                                        > I am NOT ABLE to get the Ensemble II working with Rocky 3.7 or SDRadio v1.00.
                                        >
                                        > Any suggestions anyone?????
                                        >
                                        > Neal

                                      • John Greusel
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Nov 22, 2012
                                          Warren,

                                          I too use a netbook (Acer Aspire One) but I use the higher resolution display moving function to create a functionally larger screen and PSDR fits fine. I do however have the "jumbo" sized 10" screen. :-)

                                          John
                                          KC9OJV

                                          PowerSDR does not work for me because of limitations I have put on my operation. I will only use the cheapest netbook I can find and PowerSDR, as great as it is does not adapt its' GUI to the limited netbook screen.

                                          Rocky's value to me is its' integrated BPSK31, its' noise floor adaption, and some of the tools like the integrated two tone test generator, not to mention it is an incredible VNA with a minor mod to the RXTX. All of these functions are available using a netbook with Win 7 32 and a USB card. It also works great with WSPR in this configuration. But you will not be happy with it for CW or for general listening on Win 7. For that you will need to revert to XP. I have had email exchanges with Alex about this and I don't hold out hope for it changing.

                                          I would love to go the PowerSDR route but, until the screen is adapted and some digital modes integrated I am staying with HDSDR for those needs that Rocky and WSPR do not satisfy.

                                          My two cents...... as usual it turned into at least a nickel.

                                          Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

                                          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Ulf Holt Gmail <ulf.holt@...> wrote:

                                          > Are you running 32 or 64 bit version of Win 7? Have tried Rocky 3.7, but will not see my sound card (internal) or radio. PowerSDR-iq works as a dream?

                                        • warrenallgyer
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Nov 22, 2012
                                            Amen to that!

                                            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kr5rk@..." <kr5rk.j@...> wrote:

                                            > BTW, it's Thanks Giving, so must say many thanks to Tony, Alan, Robby, and really, all of you, for getting me interested and back into this wonderful hobby after a 40 year absence.
                                            >
                                            > 73, de JB kr5rr *~*~*
                                          • Jose Bonanca
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Nov 23, 2012
                                              Hi Ulf,
                                              I am using a 32 bit win 7.
                                              I also use XP (limited) and D44. it seems I prefer the configurattion of win7.
                                              Thank you
                                              73

                                              Alan <alan4alan@...> escreveu:

                                              >I don’t really understand the Rocky bashing I hear so often. I use it daily with an RXTX Ensemble on CW or PSK31 and it works very
                                              >well.

                                              Brent,

                                              What platform do you use?
                                              Many find it will not run on Windows 7.