Re: [softrock40] Just ordered a rig...

  • Guy Johnson
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 20, 2012
      Hi All,
      Where and how do I get a pre-assembled
      rxtx board??
      How much for assembly??

      Guy Johnson/N4DEL

      West Volusia Amateur Radio Society
      DeLand Racing Pigeon Club
      Mid-Florida Pigeon Racing Combine
      Veggie zone 9A/9B
      http://bellsouthpwp2.net/n/4/n4gmu/

      "When all else fails"

      Everything will be fine in the end....
      If it is not fine, it is not the end...

      Some people confuse being healed, with being perfect.......

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 21, 2012
        Hi,

        Five Dash had one... I suspect I got the last one... It showed on
        their web site as built boards, I ordered it, and then it showed as no
        product... I'd watch the web site...

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 21, 2012
          Kevin,

          Have you built anything from Xtal Set Society? I was impressed with
          their kits... Feels much like the old Heathkits... I built the
          Ultrasonic RFI locator they have... Was an easy build, and the
          instructions impressed me greatly.

          --

          On Tue, 2012-11-20 at 18:39 -0500, Kevin Kleinfelter wrote:

          > Speaking as someone who isn't terribly skillful with his hands:
          > * The SoftRocks are superb kits. Good boards. Good doc. Astonishing
          > support from the list.
          > * Get the right equipment. A temp-controlled iron, magnifying lamp,
          > loupe, good solder, rosin pen.
          > * Definitely buy a built one first. Having a well-built reference
          > would have made my first SoftRock so much easier. Getting the
          > software working with a known-good board will help too.
          >

          > SMT isn't as hard as I thought it would be. Brace your elbow and/or
          > forearm and/or hand, to minimize tremble. Once you get it down to
          > just moving your fingers and looking through a big magnifying lamp, it
          > goes pretty fast. By the time I finished my RXTX, I could put dots of
          > solder on all the pins of an SMT IC faster than I could solder and
          > trim an equivalent number of axial components. And I'll happily
          > solder SMT all day long before I ever wind another coil. (I wind the
          > *ugliest* coils I've ever seen!)
          >

          > In other words, once you get to know your built SoftRock would be a
          > great time to kit one.
          >

          > The SoftRocks are such well done kits, that I've been disappointed by
          > the three other kits I've built since then, by comparison.
          >

          > Kevin / K4KPK
          >
          > On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 5:08 PM, Dave Cole <dave@...> wrote:
          >
          > Hi,
          >
          > My eyes are not what they used to be, and I would rather not
          > kludge up
          > the PCB...
          >
          > I'll look at it when it arrives, if it looks like something I
          > can do,
          > then I'll order a second, and build it... Want to set up two
          > stations
          > and do some DFing...

        • Dave Cole
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 21, 2012
            Hello Alan,

            Nice site, and thank you for putting it up! I expect that I will be
            using it quite a bit soon...
            --

            On Tue, 2012-11-20 at 21:23 +0000, Alan wrote:
> [...]
          • Guy Johnson
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 21, 2012
              Tnx
              My kit building days are waining.