Just ordered a rig...

  • Dave Cole
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 20, 2012
      Hi all,

      I just ordered a Ensemble II, pre-built kit. I am not going to try SMD
      stuff quite yet...

      Any pre start up suggestions? I should have the rig in about three
      days... Got shipping notification about three hours ago.

      I have downloaded all of the drivers, and software, and will wait to
      install them until the rig is here...

      I have been wanting to do SDR for a number of years...

      --
      73's and Thanks,
      Dave
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 20, 2012
        > I just ordered a Ensemble II, pre-built kit. I am not going to try SMD
        > stuff quite yet...
        >
        > Any pre start up suggestions? I should have the rig in about three
        > days... Got shipping notification about three hours ago.
        >
        > I have downloaded all of the drivers, and software, and will wait to
        > install them until the rig is here...

        Dave

        Pity, the Softrocks are a good introduction to SMD.
        I've got pages here https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/home?pli=1 for beginners.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • Dave Cole
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 20, 2012
          Hi,

          My eyes are not what they used to be, and I would rather not kludge up
          the PCB...

          I'll look at it when it arrives, if it looks like something I can do,
          then I'll order a second, and build it... Want to set up two stations
          and do some DFing...

          --

          On Tue, 2012-11-20 at 21:23 +0000, Alan wrote:
> [...]
        • Julio Jimenez
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 20, 2012
            On Tuesday, November 20, 2012, Alan wrote:

            > I just ordered a Ensemble II, pre-built kit. I am not going to try SMD
            > stuff quite yet...
            >
            > Any pre start up suggestions? I should have the rig in about three
            > days... Got shipping notification about three hours ago.
            >
            > I have downloaded all of the drivers, and software, and will wait to
            > install them until the rig is here...

            Dave

            Pity, the Softrocks are a good introduction to SMD.
            I've got pages here home | g4zfqradio for beginners.

            73 Alan G4ZFQ

          • Kevin Kleinfelter
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 20, 2012
              Speaking as someone who isn't terribly skillful with his hands:
              * The SoftRocks are superb kits.  Good boards.  Good doc.  Astonishing support from the list.
              * Get the right equipment.  A temp-controlled iron, magnifying lamp, loupe, good solder, rosin pen.
              * Definitely buy a built one first.  Having a well-built reference would have made my first SoftRock so much easier.  Getting the software working with a known-good board will help too.

              SMT isn't as hard as I thought it would be. Brace your elbow and/or forearm and/or hand, to minimize tremble.  Once you get it down to just moving your fingers and looking through a big magnifying lamp, it goes pretty fast.  By the time I finished my RXTX, I could put dots of solder on all the pins of an SMT IC faster than I could solder and trim an equivalent number of axial components.  And I'll happily solder SMT all day long before I ever wind another coil.  (I wind the *ugliest* coils I've ever seen!)

              In other words, once you get to know your built SoftRock would be a great time to kit one.

              The SoftRocks are such well done kits, that I've been disappointed by the three other kits I've built since then, by comparison.

              Kevin / K4KPK

              On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 5:08 PM, Dave Cole <dave@...> wrote:

              Hi,

              My eyes are not what they used to be, and I would rather not kludge up
              the PCB...

              I'll look at it when it arrives, if it looks like something I can do,
              then I'll order a second, and build it... Want to set up two stations
              and do some DFing...

            • Guy Johnson
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 20, 2012
                Hi All,
                Where and how do I get a pre-assembled
                rxtx board??
                How much for assembly??

                Guy Johnson/N4DEL

                West Volusia Amateur Radio Society
                DeLand Racing Pigeon Club
                Mid-Florida Pigeon Racing Combine
                Veggie zone 9A/9B
                http://bellsouthpwp2.net/n/4/n4gmu/

                "When all else fails"

                Everything will be fine in the end....
                If it is not fine, it is not the end...

                Some people confuse being healed, with being perfect.......

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 21, 2012
                  Hi,

                  Five Dash had one... I suspect I got the last one... It showed on
                  their web site as built boards, I ordered it, and then it showed as no
                  product... I'd watch the web site...

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 21, 2012
                    Kevin,

                    Have you built anything from Xtal Set Society? I was impressed with
                    their kits... Feels much like the old Heathkits... I built the
                    Ultrasonic RFI locator they have... Was an easy build, and the
                    instructions impressed me greatly.

                    --

                    On Tue, 2012-11-20 at 18:39 -0500, Kevin Kleinfelter wrote:

                    > Speaking as someone who isn't terribly skillful with his hands:
                    > * The SoftRocks are superb kits. Good boards. Good doc. Astonishing
                    > support from the list.
                    > * Get the right equipment. A temp-controlled iron, magnifying lamp,
                    > loupe, good solder, rosin pen.
                    > * Definitely buy a built one first. Having a well-built reference
                    > would have made my first SoftRock so much easier. Getting the
                    > software working with a known-good board will help too.
                    >

                    > SMT isn't as hard as I thought it would be. Brace your elbow and/or
                    > forearm and/or hand, to minimize tremble. Once you get it down to
                    > just moving your fingers and looking through a big magnifying lamp, it
                    > goes pretty fast. By the time I finished my RXTX, I could put dots of
                    > solder on all the pins of an SMT IC faster than I could solder and
                    > trim an equivalent number of axial components. And I'll happily
                    > solder SMT all day long before I ever wind another coil. (I wind the
                    > *ugliest* coils I've ever seen!)
                    >

                    > In other words, once you get to know your built SoftRock would be a
                    > great time to kit one.
                    >

                    > The SoftRocks are such well done kits, that I've been disappointed by
                    > the three other kits I've built since then, by comparison.
                    >

                    > Kevin / K4KPK
                    >
                    > On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 5:08 PM, Dave Cole <dave@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > My eyes are not what they used to be, and I would rather not
                    > kludge up
                    > the PCB...
                    >
                    > I'll look at it when it arrives, if it looks like something I
                    > can do,
                    > then I'll order a second, and build it... Want to set up two
                    > stations
                    > and do some DFing...

                  • Dave Cole
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 21, 2012
                      Hello Alan,

                      Nice site, and thank you for putting it up! I expect that I will be
                      using it quite a bit soon...

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 21, 2012
                        Tnx
                        My kit building days are waining.