Re: RxTx Ensemble no problem!

  • g8ajm
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 19, 2012
      Hi Tim

      We have some common valve history. I have to own up to a 6V6 start, although in those days 80m CW was not exactly on offer to me. I just hope enough water has flowed under the bridge now to safely make that admission! RX was also an R1155 followed by a Hallicrafters SX24.

      I ordered my RXTX a couple of months ago and stared at it for about 6 weeks. This weekend I got to the stage where I can receive on 40/30/20 and I'm just delighted with it. The magnifier you mention is a must and I found making the whole build on a tray very handy, as those little components often seem to make a bid for freedom; I don't remember the 6V6 ever doing that.

      I have found the build notes faultless and the test-as-you-go regime appears to guarantee a happy ending (well, half way in my case so far) and the support here just underscores the guarantee.

      It sounds like we might hit the ether at about the same time, so I wish you luck in the build and will look out for you if we have a band in common.

      73
      Chris
      G8AJM (1965 vintage)

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Tim G3PJD" <jet.noise@...> wrote:

      > Hi Tony
      >
      > Nice to hear from you. I don't know that particular Hallicrafters. I started on a loaned R.1155 which was a WWll rx used in Lancaster bombers. Tx was home brew, of course, and CW as I couldn't afford a mod transformer or mic. At 15 money is a bit tight as you obviously know.
      >
      > My G3P call is 1961 vintage - G3R is 1962, and so on. UK calls don't follow a year by year pattern now, but they did then! My US Extra Class was obtained here in London, and I am an ARRL Accredited VE, despite only one brief trip to the US where my rig died on my first day!
      >
      > I followed the group for a while before ordering, but as most people are asking for help after experiencing problems I found it rather discouraging, so I ordered it anyway, and will find my own way. I am a little concerned by the lack of a specific kit building guide, but I know that such things take time and can cost money to produce. I am sure that my usual procedures will be fine.
      >
      > I thought it would make a change to post something upbeat, even if it is early days for me, so will keep my problem posts to a minimum!
      >
      > 73
      >
      > Tim
      >
      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Parks, Tony" <kb9yig@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Tim,
      > >
      > > Yes, I too started with 6V6s and 807s back in the early 50s. My first
      > > receiver was a five tube S38C that I worked two months delivering
      > > newspapers to buy.
      > >
      > > I will be 72 years old next month and have built a total of more than 100
      > > RXTX and RX Ensemble kits this year.
      > >
      > > Hope the kit build goes well for you and I hope you have fun with the
      > > little SDR transceiver.
      > >
      > > 73,
      > > Tony KB9YIG

    • Tim G3PJD
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 22, 2012
        Hi Chris

        Nice to hear from you. I missed your posting because of the way my copy of Thunderbird is configured.

        We should indeed be QRV together soon, although I find that if I hit the ether I just go to sleep.

        I am building for 15/12/10 mostly because I have an as yet unused Elecraft 6 metre transverter that I would like to try. Unfortunately we don't share any bands with our Softrocks, but I do have conventional tx rx capabilities

        73

        Tim
        G3PJD