Re: [softrock40] Re: Ensemble RX

  • junius fox
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 18, 2012
    Steve I am attaching a .pdf document on the construction of the Ensemble II receiver.

    This has everything you need.  Look the document over before you begin,  it will save e you a bunch of trouble.

    Junius W5HIR
    Message 2 of 27 , Nov 18, 2012
      Finally fixed.
      I plugged the Ensemble RX into the XYL's laptop running xp and it immediately popped up with the correct message and accepted the driver. This told me the thing is working. I then crawled behind my desktop and unhooked all USB attached gear, plugged in the RX and it too worked. I had read about trying this but was reluctant. I've been running it with HDSDR/CFGSDR and it works.
      Ok...Having crossed that bridge I'm going to pass this along to someone else.
      Ensemble RX II and Km5H case $85 for both. PayPal.

      Thanks to all who offered suggestions.
      I received plenty of hate mail too!
      steve N4LQ

      Message 3 of 27 , Nov 18, 2012
        Subject: [softrock40] Re: Ensemble RX and case now for sale

        > Finally fixed.
        > . I then crawled behind my desktop and unhooked all USB attached gear, plugged in the RX and it too worked. I had read about
        > trying this but was reluctant. I've been running it with HDSDR/CFGSDR and it works.

        steve

        That's about the most common reason.
        But I wonder why you ignore what people say.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • John Greusel
        Message 4 of 27 , Nov 18, 2012
          Steve wait....
          Now that you've got the drivers installed you need to try the RXTX. :-)
          Why don't you offer your receiver to a local club member that hasn't experienced SDR- you know how to set it up now.

          John
          KC9OJV

          I plugged the Ensemble RX into the XYL's laptop running xp and it immediately popped up with the correct message and accepted the driver. This told me the thing is working. I then crawled behind my desktop and unhooked all USB attached gear, plugged in the RX and it too worked. I had read about trying this but was reluctant. I've been running it with HDSDR/CFGSDR and it works.
          Ok...Having crossed that bridge I'm going to pass this along to someone else.
          Ensemble RX II and Km5H case $85 for both. PayPal.

          Thanks to all who offered suggestions.
          I received plenty of hate mail too!
          steve N4LQ

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Mark Mansfield <mwmansfield2@...> wrote:

          > Have you took the time to look at the fivedash.com website and followed the
          > links to obtain information on how to build them and set up the software
          > correctly?
          >
          > All the links are there for excellent building instructions and how to set
          > up the software on numerous platforms and how to get them working. Also,
          > this forum is a excellent place to ask for help if you are having trouble
          > getting your kit working.
          >
          > I think if you go about asking for help in the right manner, you would find
          > that there are plenty of people here more than willing to help you out with
          > any problem you might be having.
          >
          > Blasting the product and it's support system that is in place to help you
          > is probably not a good way to start off if you are having a problem with
          > something that many hundred, if not thousands have built and are using
          > daily, I might add, without the first problem. I have built at least 6 of
          > his different receivers without so much as a single problem.
          >
          > Maybe try again, with a different attitude, and you might find out what a
          > gem of a product you have!
          >
          > I'm very happy with everything I've purchased and use regularly without any
          > problems whatsoever.
          >
          > Mark
          >
          > On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 10:19 PM, David Meye <kl7qw@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > I agree I have 2 TX-RX and four Ensembles and have had no problems The
          > > software is where most people have problems.
          > >

          > > ------------------------------

        • John Greusel
          Message 5 of 27 , Nov 18, 2012
            Steve,

            Perhaps one last hurdle- you're running HDSDR without needing to control the frequency with CFGSDR right?
            ExtIO is a driver that needs to be in the folder with HDSDR to allow frequency control. CFGSDR is only for setup and diagnostics not for control within a program. Maybe you've already done that?

            John
            KC9OJV

            I plugged the Ensemble RX into the XYL's laptop running xp and it immediately popped up with the correct message and accepted the driver. This told me the thing is working. I then crawled behind my desktop and unhooked all USB attached gear, plugged in the RX and it too worked. I had read about trying this but was reluctant. I've been running it with HDSDR/CFGSDR and it works.
            Ok...Having crossed that bridge I'm going to pass this along to someone else.
            Ensemble RX II and Km5H case $85 for both. PayPal.

            Thanks to all who offered suggestions.
            I received plenty of hate mail too!
            steve N4LQ

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Mark Mansfield <mwmansfield2@...> wrote:

            > Have you took the time to look at the fivedash.com website and followed the
            > links to obtain information on how to build them and set up the software
            > correctly?
            >
            > All the links are there for excellent building instructions and how to set
            > up the software on numerous platforms and how to get them working. Also,
            > this forum is a excellent place to ask for help if you are having trouble
            > getting your kit working.
            >
            > I think if you go about asking for help in the right manner, you would find
            > that there are plenty of people here more than willing to help you out with
            > any problem you might be having.
            >
            > Blasting the product and it's support system that is in place to help you
            > is probably not a good way to start off if you are having a problem with
            > something that many hundred, if not thousands have built and are using
            > daily, I might add, without the first problem. I have built at least 6 of
            > his different receivers without so much as a single problem.
            >
            > Maybe try again, with a different attitude, and you might find out what a
            > gem of a product you have!
            >
            > I'm very happy with everything I've purchased and use regularly without any
            > problems whatsoever.
            >
            > Mark
            >
            > On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 10:19 PM, David Meye <kl7qw@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > I agree I have 2 TX-RX and four Ensembles and have had no problems The
            > > software is where most people have problems.
            > >

            > > ------------------------------

          • n4lq
            Message 6 of 27 , Nov 18, 2012
              John
              Yes it did put the ExtIO file in the HDSDR folder and indeed you can control the frequency that way. The band switch arrangement is a bit fuzzy however. I do have some BCB breakthrough on some bands. 20 meters was very unsensitive but 40 was fairly decent.
              I'm not using my EMU0202. I reserve that for my LP-PAN and K3. I'm using a creative ext. USB card. Not the best but fair.
              steve

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, John Greusel <greusel@...> wrote:

              > Steve,
              >
              > Perhaps one last hurdle- you're running HDSDR without needing to control the frequency with CFGSDR right?
              > ExtIO is a driver that needs to be in the folder with HDSDR to allow frequency control. CFGSDR is only for setup and diagnostics not for control within a program. Maybe you've already done that?
              >
              > John
              > KC9OJV
              >

              > ________________________________

            • John Greusel
              Message 7 of 27 , Nov 18, 2012
                Steve,

                I have a properly working Ensemble II RX  but I'm using my RXTX 40,30,20 so often I don't pull the receiver out to use much. I don't have a lot of other equipment to compare the softrock to but I do have an older Kenwood transceiver TS-440S and the Softrock beats it hands down on quality of sound and the ability to discern low signals down in the noise. Antennas and propagation seem to effect variances in band sensitivity more than differences in the Softrock itself although I do think 40 is a tad better (sensitivity wise) than 20 on my RXTX. As far as the USB soundblaster- that's what I use and I think it works fine- particularly after doing the cap mod to it. I have almost no center spike at all now. You should download Christos' version of PowerSDR  2.4  and try that out before you say bon voyage to your receiver- it's really a nice version of PSDR to put a softrock through it's paces.

                John
                KC9OJV

                Yes it did put the ExtIO file in the HDSDR folder and indeed you can control the frequency that way. The band switch arrangement is a bit fuzzy however. I do have some BCB breakthrough on some bands. 20 meters was very unsensitive but 40 was fairly decent.
                I'm not using my EMU0202. I reserve that for my LP-PAN and K3. I'm using a creative ext. USB card. Not the best but fair.
                steve

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, John Greusel <greusel@...> wrote:

                > Steve,
                >
                > Perhaps one last hurdle- you're running HDSDR without needing to control the frequency with CFGSDR right?
                > ExtIO is a driver that needs to be in the folder with HDSDR to allow frequency control. CFGSDR is only for setup and diagnostics not for control within a program. Maybe you've already done that?
                >
                > John
                > KC9OJV
                >

                > ________________________________

              • n4lq
                Message 8 of 27 , Nov 18, 2012
                  Is 2.4 the same version on Flex's web site or is there a Christos version? I'll give it a try.
                  I'm not sure why I have so much BC band breakthru. The antenna system is resonant. Are you changing filters in the sdr manually? I read something somewhere about a "file" for the filters. Maybe I missed something.

                • John Greusel
                  Message 9 of 27 , Nov 18, 2012
                    Steve,
                    The rx has selectable bandpass filters that autoselect as you change frequency. Make sure you have that configured to function via CFSDR. That function has to be disabled in an RXTX. You'll have to google to find Christos version of PSDR. It has some special files that have to be moved into the folder to simulate a Flex1000 from the Softrock. It's a pretty clever route to running a Softrock via PSDR. One really interesting aspects to Softrocks is besides PSDR there are quite a few other software packages that will run them and there is concurrent development of said software albeit that much is being developed in people's spare time. Simon Brown of Ham Radio Deluxe fame has a program that supports them and posts fairly frequently to this group. I just remarked to him the other day that someone should take their SDR software to the support point on Flex transceivers. It would probably drive Flex crazy but the customers would like having new options in software.

                    John
                    KC9OJV

                    Sent from John's Ipod