Re: [softrock40] Ensemble RX

  • junius fox
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 17, 2012
      Steve,
          I have built the Ensemble II. It is a great receiver. The only problem I had was I had the wrong resistor installed .
       Go to the page for HDSDR and you will see all of the information you require to get the receiver going.  If you will download the CFGSR,
      It will contain the driver you will need.  Install this in the HDSDR folder.  When bringing the HDSDR program to life, you will select the type of radio.
      Note the EXTIO will be lighted. You're in business.

      Junius
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 17, 2012
        Subject: Re: [softrock40] Ensemble RX

        >is there an easy way to provide a single down laod
        containing all the software needed such that people can easily move from a
        built receiver to a working receiver on their W7 machine?

        Tony,

        For Steve it was, I think, relatively easy just the USB driver gets an experienced SDR user going.
        And good to hear from Fred that proper installers are on the way.

        But for someone who has no experience there may be a great deal to learn.
        I made a summary here http://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/configuring-a-softrock-sdr
        I think just a simple download would be far from simple if it were to cater for everyone.

        Rocky seems to be a problem with many, SDRSharp is a good start but needs some computer knowledge for installing as do many of the
        programs.
        Then more computer knowledge on soundcards and configuration.
        A beginner may find SDR programs difficult, many have no proper help files. The centre spike and maybe ground loops cause concern.
        And RX IQ setting and calibration.
        Then, if a TXRX, an understanding of where to look for the signal and image and setting rejection.

        Most constructors who follow Robby's pages will have a good start, someone getting a constructed SDR may have no start.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • Steve
        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 17, 2012
          Junius fox

          I read your post and have no idea what you said. Where is HDSDR and what is it and what would I do with CFGSR if I had it?
          This product is being sold as for "Entry Level" . You buy the hardware then you are launched into the unknown with no direction.
          Five-Dash has no link or reference to anything. And  van Fred Pe0 is way my head.
          I'm being told to eliminate all my USB hardware! Well the first thing to go is my mouse and keyboard. Boy that makes sense doesn't it???
          Maybe there is a way to add a rotary switch to change bands?
          steve

        • junius fox
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 17, 2012
            Steve.
                Some years ago, a program was developed by an Italian amateur called WinRadio133,  The program "HDSDR" is a spinoff of that program.
            There are several program that one can use with hour radio, they are SDR-Radio, HDSDR, Rocky, Power SDR, SDRSharp, and WinRad.
                I have found that the program HDSDR is one that I like.  You can download this program to your computer.  Once it is installed,you can find instructions there to make your Ensemble II  compatible with your PC and the program HDSDR.
                If you are still in the dark, look me up in the call book or email me your number, and I will walk you through it.

            Junius  W5HIR ('37)

            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 17, 2012
              Steve,
              This is all very confounding, frustrating and confusing.
              Nearly everyone of us has knocked their heads on the wall trying to sort out these drivers and SDR software packages. I hadn't thought about it until today but one of the 'products" Flex provides is an installation setup and good documentation. Softrocks were intended for builders and experimenters and as such there is some pain involved in sorting out the configuation. I'm in the US and perhaps a phone call would help speed you through this process so if you'd like to call me to go over these issues send me an email directly and I'll send you my phone #. After you jump this hurtle it will all seem fairly tame and easier.

              John
              KC9OJV

              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 17, 2012
                Alan
                Well really there isn't much to getting a built unit running. The problem is 2 fold.
                1.There are no ...zero...directions of any kind on the sales page for the receiver. These are even being sold on Ebay now with no means of support.
                That is really bad marketing.

                2. The driver simply will not install on my XP machine as you can see. No one person seems to know why.

                I suggest that a warning be put on Ebay and fivedash.com that these things are purely experimental and may not work.

                Steve N4LQ

              • DU1MGA
                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 17, 2012
                  Hi I can only say that the products that are coming from Tony Parks are working for 100%. If you now what you are doing you will not have any problem. I have assembled several RXTX und Rx-II. It is a pleasure to build them. When you follow the description carefully you always will becoming a good working quality product.
                  I was working easy the whole world with this little radio's and a simple Windom-Antenna.

                  By the way it is normal in eBay when you buy a product that you will not receive a description.

                  vy73 de Erwin DU1MGA

                  P.S. this kits are a result of long experience. The not experimental und will work for 100%.

                  Well really there isn't much to getting a built unit running. The problem is 2 fold.
                  1.There are no ...zero...directions of any kind on the sales page for the receiver. These are even being sold on Ebay now with no means of support.
                  That is really bad marketing.

                  2. The driver simply will not install on my XP machine as you can see. No one person seems to know why.

                  I suggest that a warning be put on Ebay and fivedash.com that these things are purely experimental and may not work.

                  Steve N4LQ

                • David Meye
                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 17, 2012
                    I agree I have 2 TX-RX and four Ensembles and have had no problems   The software is where most people have problems.

                    Message 9 of 27 , Nov 18, 2012
                      Have you took the time to look at the fivedash.com website and followed the links to obtain information on how to build them and set up the software correctly?

                      All the links are there for excellent building instructions and how to set up the software on numerous platforms and how to get them working. Also, this forum is a excellent place to ask for help if you are having trouble getting your kit working.

                      I think if you go about asking for help in the right manner, you would find that there are plenty of people here more than willing to help you out with any problem you might be having.

                      Blasting the product and it's support system that is in place to help you is probably not a good way to start off if you are having a problem with something that many hundred, if not thousands have built and are using daily, I might add, without the first problem. I have built at least 6 of his different receivers without so much as a single problem.

                      Maybe try again, with a different attitude, and you might find out what a gem of a product you have!

                      I'm very happy with everything I've purchased and use regularly without any problems whatsoever.

                      Mark

                      Message 10 of 27 , Nov 18, 2012
                      Steve I am attaching a .pdf document on the construction of the Ensemble II receiver.

                      This has everything you need.  Look the document over before you begin,  it will save e you a bunch of trouble.

                      Junius W5HIR

                      Message 11 of 27 , Nov 18, 2012
                        Finally fixed.
                        I plugged the Ensemble RX into the XYL's laptop running xp and it immediately popped up with the correct message and accepted the driver. This told me the thing is working. I then crawled behind my desktop and unhooked all USB attached gear, plugged in the RX and it too worked. I had read about trying this but was reluctant. I've been running it with HDSDR/CFGSDR and it works.
                        Ok...Having crossed that bridge I'm going to pass this along to someone else.
                        Ensemble RX II and Km5H case $85 for both. PayPal.

                        Thanks to all who offered suggestions.
                        I received plenty of hate mail too!
                        steve N4LQ

                        Message 12 of 27 , Nov 18, 2012
                          Subject: [softrock40] Re: Ensemble RX and case now for sale

                          > Finally fixed.
                          > . I then crawled behind my desktop and unhooked all USB attached gear, plugged in the RX and it too worked. I had read about
                          > trying this but was reluctant. I've been running it with HDSDR/CFGSDR and it works.

                          steve

                          That's about the most common reason.
                          But I wonder why you ignore what people say.

                          73 Alan G4ZFQ
                        • John Greusel
                          Message 13 of 27 , Nov 18, 2012
                            Steve wait....
                            Now that you've got the drivers installed you need to try the RXTX. :-)
                            Why don't you offer your receiver to a local club member that hasn't experienced SDR- you know how to set it up now.

                            John
                            KC9OJV

                            I plugged the Ensemble RX into the XYL's laptop running xp and it immediately popped up with the correct message and accepted the driver. This told me the thing is working. I then crawled behind my desktop and unhooked all USB attached gear, plugged in the RX and it too worked. I had read about trying this but was reluctant. I've been running it with HDSDR/CFGSDR and it works.
                            Ok...Having crossed that bridge I'm going to pass this along to someone else.
                            Ensemble RX II and Km5H case $85 for both. PayPal.

                            Thanks to all who offered suggestions.
                            I received plenty of hate mail too!
                            steve N4LQ

                            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Mark Mansfield <mwmansfield2@...> wrote:

                            > Have you took the time to look at the fivedash.com website and followed the
                            > links to obtain information on how to build them and set up the software
                            > correctly?
                            >
                            > All the links are there for excellent building instructions and how to set
                            > up the software on numerous platforms and how to get them working. Also,
                            > this forum is a excellent place to ask for help if you are having trouble
                            > getting your kit working.
                            >
                            > I think if you go about asking for help in the right manner, you would find
                            > that there are plenty of people here more than willing to help you out with
                            > any problem you might be having.
                            >
                            > Blasting the product and it's support system that is in place to help you
                            > is probably not a good way to start off if you are having a problem with
                            > something that many hundred, if not thousands have built and are using
                            > daily, I might add, without the first problem. I have built at least 6 of
                            > his different receivers without so much as a single problem.
                            >
                            > Maybe try again, with a different attitude, and you might find out what a
                            > gem of a product you have!
                            >
                            > I'm very happy with everything I've purchased and use regularly without any
                            > problems whatsoever.
                            >
                            > Mark
                            >
                            > On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 10:19 PM, David Meye <kl7qw@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > **
                            > >

                            > > I agree I have 2 TX-RX and four Ensembles and have had no problems The
                            > > software is where most people have problems.
                            > >

                            > > ------------------------------

                          • John Greusel
                            Message 14 of 27 , Nov 18, 2012
                              Steve,

                              Perhaps one last hurdle- you're running HDSDR without needing to control the frequency with CFGSDR right?
                              ExtIO is a driver that needs to be in the folder with HDSDR to allow frequency control. CFGSDR is only for setup and diagnostics not for control within a program. Maybe you've already done that?

                              John
                              KC9OJV

                              I plugged the Ensemble RX into the XYL's laptop running xp and it immediately popped up with the correct message and accepted the driver. This told me the thing is working. I then crawled behind my desktop and unhooked all USB attached gear, plugged in the RX and it too worked. I had read about trying this but was reluctant. I've been running it with HDSDR/CFGSDR and it works.
                              Ok...Having crossed that bridge I'm going to pass this along to someone else.
                              Ensemble RX II and Km5H case $85 for both. PayPal.

                              Thanks to all who offered suggestions.
                              I received plenty of hate mail too!
                              steve N4LQ

                              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Mark Mansfield <mwmansfield2@...> wrote:

                              > Have you took the time to look at the fivedash.com website and followed the
                              > links to obtain information on how to build them and set up the software
                              > correctly?
                              >
                              > All the links are there for excellent building instructions and how to set
                              > up the software on numerous platforms and how to get them working. Also,
                              > this forum is a excellent place to ask for help if you are having trouble
                              > getting your kit working.
                              >
                              > I think if you go about asking for help in the right manner, you would find
                              > that there are plenty of people here more than willing to help you out with
                              > any problem you might be having.
                              >
                              > Blasting the product and it's support system that is in place to help you
                              > is probably not a good way to start off if you are having a problem with
                              > something that many hundred, if not thousands have built and are using
                              > daily, I might add, without the first problem. I have built at least 6 of
                              > his different receivers without so much as a single problem.
                              >
                              > Maybe try again, with a different attitude, and you might find out what a
                              > gem of a product you have!
                              >
                              > I'm very happy with everything I've purchased and use regularly without any
                              > problems whatsoever.
                              >
                              > Mark
                              >
                              > On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 10:19 PM, David Meye <kl7qw@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > **
                              > >

                              > > I agree I have 2 TX-RX and four Ensembles and have had no problems The
                              > > software is where most people have problems.
                              > >

                              > > ------------------------------

                            • n4lq
                              Message 15 of 27 , Nov 18, 2012
                                John
                                Yes it did put the ExtIO file in the HDSDR folder and indeed you can control the frequency that way. The band switch arrangement is a bit fuzzy however. I do have some BCB breakthrough on some bands. 20 meters was very unsensitive but 40 was fairly decent.
                                I'm not using my EMU0202. I reserve that for my LP-PAN and K3. I'm using a creative ext. USB card. Not the best but fair.
                                steve

                                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, John Greusel <greusel@...> wrote:

                                > Steve,
                                >
                                > Perhaps one last hurdle- you're running HDSDR without needing to control the frequency with CFGSDR right?
                                > ExtIO is a driver that needs to be in the folder with HDSDR to allow frequency control. CFGSDR is only for setup and diagnostics not for control within a program. Maybe you've already done that?
                                >
                                > John
                                > KC9OJV
                                >

                                > ________________________________

                              • John Greusel
                                Message 16 of 27 , Nov 18, 2012
                                  Steve,

                                  I have a properly working Ensemble II RX  but I'm using my RXTX 40,30,20 so often I don't pull the receiver out to use much. I don't have a lot of other equipment to compare the softrock to but I do have an older Kenwood transceiver TS-440S and the Softrock beats it hands down on quality of sound and the ability to discern low signals down in the noise. Antennas and propagation seem to effect variances in band sensitivity more than differences in the Softrock itself although I do think 40 is a tad better (sensitivity wise) than 20 on my RXTX. As far as the USB soundblaster- that's what I use and I think it works fine- particularly after doing the cap mod to it. I have almost no center spike at all now. You should download Christos' version of PowerSDR  2.4  and try that out before you say bon voyage to your receiver- it's really a nice version of PSDR to put a softrock through it's paces.

                                  John
                                  KC9OJV

                                  Yes it did put the ExtIO file in the HDSDR folder and indeed you can control the frequency that way. The band switch arrangement is a bit fuzzy however. I do have some BCB breakthrough on some bands. 20 meters was very unsensitive but 40 was fairly decent.
                                  I'm not using my EMU0202. I reserve that for my LP-PAN and K3. I'm using a creative ext. USB card. Not the best but fair.
                                  steve

                                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, John Greusel <greusel@...> wrote:

                                  > Steve,
                                  >
                                  > Perhaps one last hurdle- you're running HDSDR without needing to control the frequency with CFGSDR right?
                                  > ExtIO is a driver that needs to be in the folder with HDSDR to allow frequency control. CFGSDR is only for setup and diagnostics not for control within a program. Maybe you've already done that?
                                  >
                                  > John
                                  > KC9OJV
                                  >

                                  > ________________________________

                                • n4lq
                                  Message 17 of 27 , Nov 18, 2012
                                    Is 2.4 the same version on Flex's web site or is there a Christos version? I'll give it a try.
                                    I'm not sure why I have so much BC band breakthru. The antenna system is resonant. Are you changing filters in the sdr manually? I read something somewhere about a "file" for the filters. Maybe I missed something.

                                  • John Greusel
                                    Message 18 of 27 , Nov 18, 2012
                                      Steve,
                                      The rx has selectable bandpass filters that autoselect as you change frequency. Make sure you have that configured to function via CFSDR. That function has to be disabled in an RXTX. You'll have to google to find Christos version of PSDR. It has some special files that have to be moved into the folder to simulate a Flex1000 from the Softrock. It's a pretty clever route to running a Softrock via PSDR. One really interesting aspects to Softrocks is besides PSDR there are quite a few other software packages that will run them and there is concurrent development of said software albeit that much is being developed in people's spare time. Simon Brown of Ham Radio Deluxe fame has a program that supports them and posts fairly frequently to this group. I just remarked to him the other day that someone should take their SDR software to the support point on Flex transceivers. It would probably drive Flex crazy but the customers would like having new options in software.

                                      John
                                      KC9OJV

                                      Sent from John's Ipod