QRP2000 USB-Controlled Synthesizer kit with CMOS

  • bxyza
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 15, 2012
      Can someone educate me on what the Synthesizer kits are used for? What does it do and to what kit is it likely to be used for? Is this strictly for TX or for RX? Will this work on a PeaBerry or just the SoftRock boards? I have reviewed the web site of SDRkits.net for information but after reading that description I can see how this would be useful but I do not fully comprehend the information.

      73,
      KD8IGK
      Bill
    • Jasmine Strong

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 15, 2012
          Subject: [softrock40] QRP2000 USB-Controlled Synthesizer kit with CMOS

          > Can someone educate me on what the Synthesizer kits are used for? What does it do and to what kit is it likely to be used for? Is
          > this strictly for TX or for RX? Will this work on a PeaBerry or just the SoftRock boards?

          Bill,

          They can add the Si570 to older Softrocks.
          Or act as a stand-alone generator.

          But they have no use in current Softrocks or Peaberry.

          73 Alan G4ZFQ
        • jhemby@knology.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 15, 2012
            The USB-controlled synthesizer  is an oscillator or signal generator that has a reference oscillator with other stages to allow generation  of a selectable  output frequency.  The USB control allows a PC to select the desired frequency.

            There are several methods of frequency synthesis.   One of the earlier types of synthesizers used banks of crystals to mix and generate desired frequency steps. Phase lock loops are another method of synthesis.

            Most of the newer rigs have a synthesizer to allow tuning. Older rigs had to have crystals for each frequency or channel.

            The Si570 is a great chip and is used in the Ensemble packages.  However it is hard to solder it properly due to its small size and peculiar lead arrangement.  This chip data can be found at Silabs.com

            Check  www.qsl.net/k5bcq/Kits/Kits.html    (or try a search on k5bcq kits,  this link may not work)
              I have the Frequency Controller Generator kit #2

            Jack

          • Chris Wilson
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 15, 2012

              > Can someone educate me on what the Synthesizer kits are used for?
              > What does it do and to what kit is it likely to be used for? Is this
              > strictly for TX or for RX? Will this work on a PeaBerry or just the
              > SoftRock boards? I have reviewed the web site of SDRkits.net for
              > information but after reading that description I can see how this
              > would be useful but I do not fully comprehend the information.

              > 73,
              > KD8IGK
              > Bill

              16/11/2012 00:03

              I bought this of Ebay the other week :
              http://www.ebay.com/itm/Transceiver-SDR-Softrock-RXTX-v6-2-160m-KIT-Software-Defined-Radio-/300811927846?pt=US_Ham_Radio_Transceivers&hash=item4609c9c126

              As it's the older RXTX it is crystal controlled, not tunable like the
              current kits. However, there's an add on kit to use the synthesizer
              tuning, which I will get, then it's effectively the same as a curent
              RXTX Ensemble. I fancied a 160 meter version and made an impulsive
              purchase.

              --
              Best Regards,
              Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY