Re: [softrock40] Ensemble RXTX- RX Mixer stage test

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 15, 2012
      Subject: [softrock40] Ensemble RXTX- RX Mixer stage test

      > Refering to RX Mixer (QSD)stage Testing on the building notes, it says "run Rocky (to send ptt signal). Should it read run CFGSR
      > ?

      Paul

      Either, that may have been written before CFGSR had the option.

      73 Alan G4ZFQ
    • Malti
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 15, 2012
        I had a word with Robby about it.  He said you can use Rocky in USB. mode.
        I thought that to use Rocky, you have to go throu the in and outs of the soundcard ?

        Paul

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 15, 2012
          Subject: Re: [softrock40] Ensemble RXTX- RX Mixer stage test

          > He said you can use Rocky in USB. mode.

          Not for TX. Rocky does CW/PSK TX.

          >I thought that to use Rocky, you have to go throu the in and outs of the
          soundcard ?

          Yes.

          73 Alan G4ZFQ
        • Malti
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 16, 2012
            Yep, I should have read the  instructions first !
            In Rocky settings, you have to enable - use SI570 -USB on the DSP tab !

            Thanks

            Paul

            On 15 November 2012 21:44, Alan <alan4alan@...> wrote:

            >I thought that to use Rocky, you have to go throu the in and outs of the
            soundcard ?

            Yes.

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                softrock40-digest@yahoogroups.com
                softrock40-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Lawrence Galea
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 16, 2012
              I wonder if this is of any use to the group.
              http://www.elektor.com/news/hardware-tip-from-elektor-usb-isolator.2311030.lynkx?utm_source=UK&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news&cat=elektor
              Hardware Tip from Elektor: USB Isolator
              Avoid interference and earth loops

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 16, 2012

                >I wonder if this is of any use to the group.
                http://www.elektor.com/news/hardware-tip-from-elektor-usb-isolator.2311030.lynkx?utm_source=UK&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news&cat=elektor
                Hardware Tip from Elektor: USB Isolator
                Avoid interference and earth loops

                Maybe. But isolation is built-in on the Ensembles. (Provided the constructor keeps it that way).
                And a similar system might be incorporated in earlier models when adding a Si570.
                62 UKP is a lot for a transformer and one or two optoisolators.

                73 Alan G4ZFQ
              • Lawrence Galea
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 16, 2012
                  If that's what its got then it certainly is expensive Alan.
                  Regards
                  Lawrence

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 16, 2012

                    >If that's what its got then it certainly is expensive Alan.

                    Lawrence

                    I'm sure the Elector has a little more in it than a transformer and optocouplers!

                    But to couple a synthesiser to a Softrock that is basically all that's required. Then the USB is isolated.
                    To me it seems overkill to use a general purpose isolator that is in the same price range as Softrock RXTX.
                    But it's up to the individual, I wonder how it would work with a USB soundcard? 12 Mbit/s sounds fast enough.