Ensemble RXTX- RX Mixer stage test

  • pauldebono@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 15, 2012
      Refering to RX Mixer (QSD)stage Testing on the building notes, it says "run Rocky (to send ptt signal). Should it read run CFGSR ?

      Paul
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 15, 2012
        Subject: [softrock40] Ensemble RXTX- RX Mixer stage test

        > Refering to RX Mixer (QSD)stage Testing on the building notes, it says "run Rocky (to send ptt signal). Should it read run CFGSR
        > ?

        Paul

        Either, that may have been written before CFGSR had the option.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • Malti
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 15, 2012
          I had a word with Robby about it.  He said you can use Rocky in USB. mode.
          I thought that to use Rocky, you have to go throu the in and outs of the soundcard ?

          Paul

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 15, 2012
            Subject: Re: [softrock40] Ensemble RXTX- RX Mixer stage test

            > He said you can use Rocky in USB. mode.

            Not for TX. Rocky does CW/PSK TX.

            >I thought that to use Rocky, you have to go throu the in and outs of the
            soundcard ?

            Yes.

            73 Alan G4ZFQ
          • Malti
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 16, 2012
              Yep, I should have read the  instructions first !
              In Rocky settings, you have to enable - use SI570 -USB on the DSP tab !

              Thanks

              Paul

              On 15 November 2012 21:44, Alan <alan4alan@...> wrote:

              >I thought that to use Rocky, you have to go throu the in and outs of the
              soundcard ?

              Yes.

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  softrock40-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  softrock40-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Lawrence Galea
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 16, 2012
                I wonder if this is of any use to the group.
                http://www.elektor.com/news/hardware-tip-from-elektor-usb-isolator.2311030.lynkx?utm_source=UK&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news&cat=elektor
                Hardware Tip from Elektor: USB Isolator
                Avoid interference and earth loops

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 16, 2012

                  >I wonder if this is of any use to the group.
                  http://www.elektor.com/news/hardware-tip-from-elektor-usb-isolator.2311030.lynkx?utm_source=UK&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news&cat=elektor
                  Hardware Tip from Elektor: USB Isolator
                  Avoid interference and earth loops

                  Maybe. But isolation is built-in on the Ensembles. (Provided the constructor keeps it that way).
                  And a similar system might be incorporated in earlier models when adding a Si570.
                  62 UKP is a lot for a transformer and one or two optoisolators.

                  73 Alan G4ZFQ
                • Lawrence Galea
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 16, 2012
                    If that's what its got then it certainly is expensive Alan.
                    Regards
                    Lawrence

                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 16, 2012

                      >If that's what its got then it certainly is expensive Alan.

                      Lawrence

                      I'm sure the Elector has a little more in it than a transformer and optocouplers!

                      But to couple a synthesiser to a Softrock that is basically all that's required. Then the USB is isolated.
                      To me it seems overkill to use a general purpose isolator that is in the same price range as Softrock RXTX.
                      But it's up to the individual, I wonder how it would work with a USB soundcard? 12 Mbit/s sounds fast enough.