Peaberry SDR new firmware available

  • David Turnbull
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 13, 2012
      Good Morning,

      Thanks to everyone who's supported my work on the Peaberry SDR with
      either kind words or a purchase. Radio communications has been an
      interest of mine since I was a child. It's a real pleasure to be able
      to help others build state-of-the-art experimental radios.

      I've been diligently working on improving the Peaberry SDR over the
      past months. The PSoC chip that runs this radio is an amazing device.
      In addition to a typical System-on-a-Chip, it contains a useful amount
      of blank hardware that can be synthesized with Verilog. Most of the
      improvements in this release are because of functions that have been
      moved from software to hardware.

      The new firmware includes the following:

      - Calibration is less confusing. The Si570 registers are recalculated
      when the calibration is changed.

      - I/Q channel reversing for the transmitter. See:
      https://github.com/ham21/peaberry/wiki/Channel-Reversal

      - Local oscillator tunes down to 120kHz. I don't have filters
      designed for 600m and 1750m, but the radio is prepared for this.

      - More sensitivity on 20m.

      - 4kHz noise completely eliminated. This was coming from CPU
      interrupts which have been replaced with Verilog.

      - Better timing for narrow FSK protocols like MEPT_JT(WSPR) and JT65.

      I will begin using this firmware for the kits by the end of the week.
      Assuming no major problems, of course. If you have a Peaberry and
      access to a programmer, please test the 13-NOV-2012 rom and let me
      know what you think. Hex files are here:
      https://github.com/ham21/peaberry/downloads

      73 David AE9RB
      http://AE9RB.com/
    • Ricardo Caratti
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 13, 2012
        Hi David,
        Good news. I am very interested in upgrading my Peaberry firmware as soon as possible.
        But I would like to know how can I do that.
        I mean, how can I upload the peaberry 13 NOV 2012.hex to the PSoC chip?
        Sorry if my question is too elementary

        73.
        Ricardo.

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 13, 2012
          Ricardo, you need a JTAG programmer with software that supports the
          Cypress PSoC 3. JTAG has been an IEEE standard for more than 20 years
          so there are many different kinds.

          Cheapest option is to find someone who already has one. Ask at your
          local ham club or dorkbot. Links on the wiki:
          https://github.com/ham21/peaberry/wiki

          There's a $15.68 board (free shipping) you can get on eBay as described here:
          http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=3105
          However, I can not help with this as I have not tried it yet.

          I use a Cypress MiniProg 3 as listed on the wiki:
          https://github.com/ham21/peaberry/wiki
          The connector on the Peaberry fits the MiniProg 3 exactly. This is a
          turnkey solution.

          The 10-pin connector on the Peaberry is a somewhat new format that
          Cypress and ARM have started using. If you need an adapter, see the
          wiki: https://github.com/ham21/peaberry/wiki

          73 David AE9RB
          http://AE9RB.com/

          On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Ricardo Caratti <pu2clr@...> wrote:

          > Hi David,
          > Good news. I am very interested in upgrading my Peaberry firmware as soon as possible.
          > But I would like to know how can I do that.
          > I mean, how can I upload the peaberry 13 NOV 2012.hex to the PSoC chip?
          > Sorry if my question is too elementary
          >
          > 73.
          > Ricardo.
        • Ricardo Caratti
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 13, 2012
            Well,
            that's a little bit more complicated than I thought.
            But I will try do it.
            Thanks.

            De: David Turnbull <dturnbull@...>
            Para: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
            Enviadas: Terça-feira, 13 de Novembro de 2012 17:58

            Ricardo, you need a JTAG programmer with software that supports the
            Cypress PSoC 3. JTAG has been an IEEE standard for more than 20 years
            so there are many different kinds.

            Cheapest option is to find someone who already has one. Ask at your
            local ham club or dorkbot. Links on the wiki:
            https://github.com/ham21/peaberry/wiki

            There's a $15.68 board (free shipping) you can get on eBay as described here:
            http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=3105
            However, I can not help with this as I have not tried it yet.

            I use a Cypress MiniProg 3 as listed on the wiki:
            https://github.com/ham21/peaberry/wiki
            The connector on the Peaberry fits the MiniProg 3 exactly. This is a
            turnkey solution.

            The 10-pin connector on the Peaberry is a somewhat new format that
            Cypress and ARM have started using. If you need an adapter, see the
            wiki: https://github.com/ham21/peaberry/wiki

            73 David AE9RB
            http://AE9RB.com/

            On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Ricardo Caratti <pu2clr@...> wrote:

            > Hi David,
            > Good news. I am very interested in upgrading my Peaberry firmware as soon as possible.
            > But I would like to know how can I do that.
            > I mean, how can I upload the peaberry 13 NOV 2012.hex to the PSoC chip?
            > Sorry if my question is too elementary
            >
            > 73.
            > Ricardo.

          • warrenallgyer
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 13, 2012
              Congratulations David! I am seeing significantly improved performance. I measure the noise floor as follows:

              7.0 MHz -142 dBm
              10.0 MHz -137 dBm
              14.0 MHz -131 dBm

              That is 6-8 dB better than I measured before and is read with the receiver calibrated at -73 dBm on 10 MHz.

              The CFGSR calibration is noted and works well. The IQ phase reversing is very ingenious and also works well.

              I am not sure how to measure WSPR decode improvement except anecdotally and it decodes every trace that shows up.

              All in all a great effort and we really appreciate it!

              Thanks

              Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, David Turnbull <dturnbull@...> wrote:

              > Good Morning,
              >
              > Thanks to everyone who's supported my work on the Peaberry SDR with
              > either kind words or a purchase. Radio communications has been an
              > interest of mine since I was a child. It's a real pleasure to be able
              > to help others build state-of-the-art experimental radios.
              >
              > I've been diligently working on improving the Peaberry SDR over the
              > past months. The PSoC chip that runs this radio is an amazing device.
              > In addition to a typical System-on-a-Chip, it contains a useful amount
              > of blank hardware that can be synthesized with Verilog. Most of the
              > improvements in this release are because of functions that have been
              > moved from software to hardware.
              >
              > The new firmware includes the following:
              >
              > - Calibration is less confusing. The Si570 registers are recalculated
              > when the calibration is changed.
              >
              > - I/Q channel reversing for the transmitter. See:
              > https://github.com/ham21/peaberry/wiki/Channel-Reversal
              >
              > - Local oscillator tunes down to 120kHz. I don't have filters
              > designed for 600m and 1750m, but the radio is prepared for this.
              >
              > - More sensitivity on 20m.
              >
              > - 4kHz noise completely eliminated. This was coming from CPU
              > interrupts which have been replaced with Verilog.
              >
              > - Better timing for narrow FSK protocols like MEPT_JT(WSPR) and JT65.
              >
              > I will begin using this firmware for the kits by the end of the week.
              > Assuming no major problems, of course. If you have a Peaberry and
              > access to a programmer, please test the 13-NOV-2012 rom and let me
              > know what you think. Hex files are here:
              > https://github.com/ham21/peaberry/downloads
              >
              > 73 David AE9RB
              > http://AE9RB.com/

            • Dave Watson
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 13, 2012

                David,

                I'm just getting started with programming via JTAG so I don't have a clue. Do you know if the USB Blaster can be used to load the new firmware on the Cypress PSoC 3?

                Dave (W4DJW)

                Ricardo, you need a JTAG programmer with software that supports the
                Cypress PSoC 3. JTAG has been an IEEE standard for more than 20 years
                so there are many different kinds.

                Cheapest option is to find someone who already has one. Ask at your
                local ham club or dorkbot. Links on the wiki:
                https://github.com/ham21/peaberry/wiki

                There's a $15.68 board (free shipping) you can get on eBay as described here:
                http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=3105
                However, I can not help with this as I have not tried it yet.

                I use a Cypress MiniProg 3 as listed on the wiki:
                https://github.com/ham21/peaberry/wiki
                The connector on the Peaberry fits the MiniProg 3 exactly. This is a
                turnkey solution.

                The 10-pin connector on the Peaberry is a somewhat new format that
                Cypress and ARM have started using. If you need an adapter, see the
                wiki: https://github.com/ham21/peaberry/wiki

                73 David AE9RB
                http://AE9RB.com/

                On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Ricardo Caratti <pu2clr@...> wrote:

                > Hi David,
                > Good news. I am very interested in upgrading my Peaberry firmware as soon
                as possible.
                > But I would like to know how can I do that.
                > I mean, how can I upload the peaberry 13 NOV 2012.hex to the PSoC chip?
                > Sorry if my question is too elementary
                >
                > 73.
                > Ricardo.

              • David Turnbull
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 13, 2012
                  Dave, I'm not familiar with the USB Blaster. Check the manual and see if the PSoC 3 is listed. If not, you can ask the manufacturer to add support for it.

                  73 David AE9RB
                  http://AE9RB.com/

                • jaksha@noao.edu
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 14, 2012
                    David, the new firmware sounds like a worthwhile improvement. However, I don't really have the resources to do the upgrade myself. Is there anyone that would be willing to update my firmware for me?

                    I will gladly pay for the shipping both ways.

                    73,
                    Dave
                    KF7DRU

                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, David Turnbull <dturnbull@...> wrote:

                    > Good Morning,
                    >
                    > Thanks to everyone who's supported my work on the Peaberry SDR with
                    > either kind words or a purchase. Radio communications has been an
                    > interest of mine since I was a child. It's a real pleasure to be able
                    > to help others build state-of-the-art experimental radios.
                    >
                    > I've been diligently working on improving the Peaberry SDR over the
                    > past months. The PSoC chip that runs this radio is an amazing device.
                    > In addition to a typical System-on-a-Chip, it contains a useful amount
                    > of blank hardware that can be synthesized with Verilog. Most of the
                    > improvements in this release are because of functions that have been
                    > moved from software to hardware.
                    >
                    > The new firmware includes the following:
                    >
                    > - Calibration is less confusing. The Si570 registers are recalculated
                    > when the calibration is changed.
                    >
                    > - I/Q channel reversing for the transmitter. See:
                    > https://github.com/ham21/peaberry/wiki/Channel-Reversal
                    >
                    > - Local oscillator tunes down to 120kHz. I don't have filters
                    > designed for 600m and 1750m, but the radio is prepared for this.
                    >
                    > - More sensitivity on 20m.
                    >
                    > - 4kHz noise completely eliminated. This was coming from CPU
                    > interrupts which have been replaced with Verilog.
                    >
                    > - Better timing for narrow FSK protocols like MEPT_JT(WSPR) and JT65.
                    >
                    > I will begin using this firmware for the kits by the end of the week.
                    > Assuming no major problems, of course. If you have a Peaberry and
                    > access to a programmer, please test the 13-NOV-2012 rom and let me
                    > know what you think. Hex files are here:
                    > https://github.com/ham21/peaberry/downloads
                    >
                    > 73 David AE9RB
                    > http://AE9RB.com/

                  • David Turnbull
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 14, 2012
                      Dave,

                      Stay tuned for another announcement in a few days.

                      73 David AE9RB
                      http://AE9RB.com/

                      On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 8:11 PM, <jaksha@...> wrote:
                      > David, the new firmware sounds like a worthwhile improvement. However, I don't really have the resources to do the upgrade myself. Is there anyone that would be willing to update my firmware for me?
                      >
                      > I will gladly pay for the shipping both ways.
                      >
                      > 73,
                      > Dave
                      > KF7DRU
                      >
                      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, David Turnbull <dturnbull@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> Good Morning,
                      >>
                      >> Thanks to everyone who's supported my work on the Peaberry SDR with
                      >> either kind words or a purchase. Radio communications has been an
                      >> interest of mine since I was a child. It's a real pleasure to be able
                      >> to help others build state-of-the-art experimental radios.
                      >>
                      >> I've been diligently working on improving the Peaberry SDR over the
                      >> past months. The PSoC chip that runs this radio is an amazing device.
                      >> In addition to a typical System-on-a-Chip, it contains a useful amount
                      >> of blank hardware that can be synthesized with Verilog. Most of the
                      >> improvements in this release are because of functions that have been
                      >> moved from software to hardware.
                      >>
                      >> The new firmware includes the following:
                      >>
                      >> - Calibration is less confusing. The Si570 registers are recalculated
                      >> when the calibration is changed.
                      >>
                      >> - I/Q channel reversing for the transmitter. See:
                      >> https://github.com/ham21/peaberry/wiki/Channel-Reversal
                      >>
                      >> - Local oscillator tunes down to 120kHz. I don't have filters
                      >> designed for 600m and 1750m, but the radio is prepared for this.
                      >>
                      >> - More sensitivity on 20m.
                      >>
                      >> - 4kHz noise completely eliminated. This was coming from CPU
                      >> interrupts which have been replaced with Verilog.
                      >>
                      >> - Better timing for narrow FSK protocols like MEPT_JT(WSPR) and JT65.
                      >>
                      >> I will begin using this firmware for the kits by the end of the week.
                      >> Assuming no major problems, of course. If you have a Peaberry and
                      >> access to a programmer, please test the 13-NOV-2012 rom and let me
                      >> know what you think. Hex files are here:
                      >> https://github.com/ham21/peaberry/downloads
                      >>
                      >> 73 David AE9RB
                      >> http://AE9RB.com/

                    • Sid Boyce
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 15, 2012
                        Hi Dave,
                        Search on Cypress Miniprog, this seems to be the one needed.
                        73 ... Sid.

                        --
                        Sid Boyce ... Hamradio License G3VBV, Licensed Private Pilot
                        Emeritus IBM/Amdahl Mainframes and Sun/Fujitsu Servers Tech Support