Re: [softrock40] LCR meter to measure the Ensemble coils

  • Rick Simpson
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 13, 2012
      Cancel that. I really DO know the difference between ohms and henries!

      Rick
    • Tim G3PJD
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 13, 2012
        Rick

        It's really quite simple. Henry's Radio is in Edgware Road. Ohm's Radio is not.

        73

        Tim
        G3PJD/KN6WQ

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Simpson" <goatguy101@...> wrote:

        > Cancel that. I really DO know the difference between ohms and henries!
        >
        > Rick

      • Rick Simpson
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 13, 2012
          Ohm's Radio closed their doors some time ago. They said they met with too much sales resistance.

          :)

          It's really quite simple. Henry's Radio is in Edgware Road. Ohm's Radio is not.

          73

          Tim
          G3PJD/KN6WQ

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Simpson" <goatguy101@...> wrote:

          > Cancel that. I really DO know the difference between ohms and henries!
          >
          > Rick

        • Tim G3PJD
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 13, 2012
            Apart from that, they had little capacity.

            Sorry, it had to be said!

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Simpson" <goatguy101@...> wrote:

            > Ohm's Radio closed their doors some time ago. They said they met with too much sales resistance.
            >
            > :)

          • KQ8M
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 13, 2012

              They couldn't conduct business very well.

              73,

              Tim Herrick, KQ8M

              Charter Member North Coast Contesters

              kq8m@...

              AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org

              Apart from that, they had little capacity.

              Sorry, it had to be said!

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Simpson" <goatguy101@...> wrote:

              > Ohm's Radio closed their doors some time ago. They said they met with too much sales resistance.
              >
              > :)

            • junius fox
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 13, 2012
                Chris, AADE makes a LC meter that is very accurate. I think that Neil 's
                name for AADE is almost all digital electronics (?)

                Junius
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 13, 2012
                  There is nothing special about the  AADE. The circuit is identical to the scores of PIC and Lm311   based kits

                   When it comes to very low inductances for RF, all the LM311 and PIC based L meters are not that accurate. For C , may be another story !

                  Paul

                  On 13 November 2012 18:05, junius fox <jfox05@...> wrote:
                  Chris, AADE makes a LC meter that is very accurate.  I think that Neil 's
                  name for AADE is almost all digital electronics (?)

                  Junius
                  >> I am searching for a good L meter, that can measure low to very low
                  >> RF inductances. The various kits and models around based on a PIC
                  >> and the LM311, are not good enough. So are these commercial multimeter
                  >> types.
                  >
                  >> I came across the M3 or M-Cubed LCZR meter, which Monty, N5ESE, has
                  >> reviewed and compared with the top, industry standard, the Philips
                  >> PM6303 LCR Meter (now made by Fluke). Unfortunately , this meter kit
                  >> is no longer in production. See: http://www.n5ese.com/M3LCR_meter.htm
                  >
                  >> However, a Metacrawler search, came up with an updated version of this
                  >> meter:
                  >> (It is in French, but their sales department have an English version of
                  >> the manual.)
                  >> http://www.mwinstruments.com/MW1008/MW1008_f.html
                  >
                  >> Paul
                  >

                  > 13/11/2012 12:05
                  >
                  > I know they are costly, and I have found support is pretty naff, but
                  > my AIM4170C antenna analyser is great for inductor verification. I can
                  > measure the effect of spreading the windings around the toroids, and
                  > do a sanity check if `er indoors interrupts me half way through
                  > winding a coil and I lose count of the turns. Plus, of course, it's
                  > amazingly useful for many other tasks. Its capabilities far exceed my
                  > knowledge, which makes it pretty future proof, too.
                  >
                  > --
                  >       Best Regards,
                  >                   Chris Wilson.   2E0ILY

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                      softrock40-digest@yahoogroups.com
                      softrock40-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • R. R. (Robby) Robson
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 13, 2012
                    And exactly what induced you to say that?

                    --
                    Cheers,
                    Robby

                    Richard R. (Robby) Robson
                    LTC USA (RET)

                  • Brad Thompson
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 13, 2012
                      On 11/13/2012 7:24 PM, R. R. (Robby) Robson wrote:
                      > And exactly what induced you to say that?

                      Hello, Robby and the group--

                      IIRC, the capacitor salesforce was the first to be discharged.

                      That occurred the morning after the group attended a party
                      during which copious quantities of alcoholic beverages were
                      consumed, leaving the group with massive hangovers and
                      tardy arrivals at the shop. The manager asked, "Wire you
                      insulate?"....<g>

                      73--

                      Brad AA1IP

                      > On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 8:38 AM, Tim G3PJD <jet.noise@...
                      > <mailto:jet.noise@...>> wrote:
                      >
                      > __
                      >
                      > Apart from that, they had little capacity.
                      >
                      > Sorry, it had to be said!
                      >

                      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                      > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, "Rick Simpson"
                      > <goatguy101@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Ohm's Radio closed their doors some time ago. They said they met
                      > with too much sales resistance.
                      > >
                      > > :)

                    • rifkum
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 13, 2012
                        Quote-->>
                        When it comes to very low inductances for RF, all the LM311 and PIC based L meters are not that accurate. For C , may be another story !
                        End Quote.

                        as I wound each toroid for my Ensemble RX II, I measured each one and found the measured inductance to be within 1-2% of what the build plans said they should be. I doubt that was a coincidence.

                        I also measured most all of the capacitors and found them equally within tollerance.

                        Why would you say the pic/comparator based meters are inaccurate??

                        What kind of accuracy do you believe one needs to build a radio reciever?

                        For me... the $27 (delivered) I spent on my ebay LCR meter (see other recent thread) is one little piece of test equipment I am VERY pleased with.

                        The re-assurance that I had not made an error while winding the toroids was well worth it. It made building the kit more enjoyable. And now I can be more certain when I dig through my junk box I can test/verify that old capicator or inductor.

                        I regularly work with test equipment at work that cost 20,000 to 40,000 dollars, But for the Radio hobbiest I think the pic based LCR meters are actually VERY adequate.

                        just my .02

                        Dwight
                        N7KBC
                      • Malti