RE: [softrock40] New member... and the first question

  • KQ8M
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 11, 2012
      Well, I have a Pentium 4 3GHz with 2GB ram. Haven't run HDSDR much on it but I have had no problems yet. This computer is only used
      for building, testing and troubleshooting though.

      73,
      Tim Herrick, KQ8M
      Charter Member North Coast Contesters
      kq8m@...

      AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org
      User Ports: 23, 7373 with local skimmer, 7374 without local skimmer

      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 11, 2012
        Atom based netbook- acer one.

        John
        KC9OJV

        --
              Best Regards,
                          Chris Wilson.  2E0ILY

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            softrock40-digest@yahoogroups.com
            softrock40-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Gordon JC Pearce
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 11, 2012
          On 11/11/12 18:59, edm6214 wrote:
          > Hi
          >
          > I have just joined this group after poking around in the posts for
          > several weeks.
          >
          > One question that I haven't been able to find an answer for is what
          > is the MINIMUM computing power requirements that I would need to run
          > a Softrock RXTX

          It does depend on the software. I've not got the RXTX I have sitting
          here working yet, but for RX-only you can pretty much forget anything
          less than a PII-266. If you want a waterfall display or very sharp
          filtering you'll need at least a fastish Pentium-M - maybe 1.2GHz or better.

          --
          Gordonjcp MM0YEQ
        • edm6214
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 11, 2012
            Wow, guys, thanks for the warm welcome!

            Perhaps I should have phrased the question slightly differently - I have an HP 110 Mini netbook w/Atom N270 processor. If I add a USB stereo dongle, will the HP be sufficient? John, as my kit is very similar to yours, perhaps you'd be the best person to give me additional advice.

            Thanks,

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "edm6214" <eldave@...> wrote:

            > Hi
            >
            > I have just joined this group after poking around in the posts for several weeks.
            >
            > One question that I haven't been able to find an answer for is what is the MINIMUM computing power requirements that I would need to run a Softrock RXTX
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > David

          • Chris Wilson
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 11, 2012
              > It does depend on the software. I've not got the RXTX I have sitting
              > here working yet, but for RX-only you can pretty much forget anything
              > less than a PII-266. If you want a waterfall display or very sharp
              > filtering you'll need at least a fastish Pentium-M - maybe 1.2GHz or better.

              11/11/2012 20:05

              Very good point, I assume the lack of processing power my machine has
              is why noise blanking and noise filtering in HDSDR goes into some form
              of spasm at times, with 100% CPU usage? Like a surging, with a drop
              off of audio for a fraction of second then OK again for three or so
              seconds?

              I'd be intersted to know if a new PC should be built concentrating on
              processor power, or memory? I am VERY loathe to move from XP to a
              later Windows, but understand XP is limited to using a fixed and now
              considered a relatively low amount of RAM? Linux is not really an
              option, I just can't be doing with its inability to run so many of my
              other applications. I suppose I COULD just use it for SDR, but it's a
              PITA.

              --
              Best Regards,
              Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 11, 2012
                On 11 Nov 2012, at 12:10, Chris Wilson <chris@...> wrote:

                I'd be intersted to know if a new PC should be built concentrating on
                processor power, or memory?

                Neither-  both are cheap now.  Any current machine will have more than enough processor power to run SDR software.  Given that a Core i3 is probably fifteen or twenty times faster than a Pentium-M, it's hard to worry too much about either.  You can get eight gigabytes of DDR3 RAM for less than $75 now.  That's more than plenty for SDR apps.

                I am VERY loathe to move from XP to a
                later Windows, but understand XP is limited to using a fixed and now
                considered a relatively low amount of RAM?

                Windows XP is dead.  Move on.  Windows 7 is actually pretty good-  Windows 8 sucks though.  Twas ever so;  for some reason Microsoft seems incapable of making two decent versions of Windows in a row.

                -J.
              • MIKE DURKIN
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 11, 2012
                  ODroidX and Ubuntu is looking promising....

                  Mike KC7NOA

                  To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                  From: chris@...
                  Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 20:10:36 +0000

                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 11, 2012

                    I use the X-fi Soundblaster USB soundcard (with the capacitor mod) and I can run HDSDR with virtual audio and virtual serial cables and Fldigi and all it's digital modes. Additionally I can run PowerSDR 2.4 (newest version from Christos) in SSB mode quite well. I upgraded to 2 gig of ram with the Acer Aspire One and that helped quite a bit- easy upgrade on that model. I have to keep my hard drive fairly unfragmented for best performance. PowerSDR crashes a lot if I try to use it for the Fldigi SDR interface program- I think it's too much of a memory hog for this modest setup.

                    John
                    KC9OJV

                    Wow, guys, thanks for the warm welcome!

                    Perhaps I should have phrased the question slightly differently - I have an HP 110 Mini netbook w/Atom N270 processor. If I add a USB stereo dongle, will the HP be sufficient? John, as my kit is very similar to yours, perhaps you'd be the best person to give me additional advice.

                    Thanks,

                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "edm6214" <eldave@...> wrote:

                    > Hi
                    >
                    > I have just joined this group after poking around in the posts for several weeks.
                    >
                    > One question that I haven't been able to find an answer for is what is the MINIMUM computing power requirements that I would need to run a Softrock RXTX
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    >
                    > David

                  • Dave Matthews
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 11, 2012
                      John,

                      Which part number Soundblaster are you using?  I am looking at getting on and don't know whether to go with SB1090, SB1095, or SB1290.  My old Soundblaster Live USB has given up the ghost.

                      Also - where would I find the capacitor mod?

                      Dave
                      KB2YWT

                      I use the X-fi Soundblaster USB soundcard (with the capacitor mod) and I can run HDSDR with virtual audio and virtual serial cables and Fldigi and all it's digital modes. Additionally I can run PowerSDR 2.4 (newest version from Christos) in SSB mode quite well. I upgraded to 2 gig of ram with the Acer Aspire One and that helped quite a bit- easy upgrade on that model. I have to keep my hard drive fairly unfragmented for best performance. PowerSDR crashes a lot if I try to use it for the Fldigi SDR interface program- I think it's too much of a memory hog for this modest setup.

                      John
                      KC9OJV

                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "edm6214" <eldave@...> wrote:

                      > Hi
                      >
                      > I have just joined this group after poking around in the posts for several weeks.
                      >
                      > One question that I haven't been able to find an answer for is what is the MINIMUM computing power requirements that I would need to run a Softrock RXTX
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      >
                      > David

                    • MICHAEL TALLENT
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 11, 2012
                        I have the SB1095 but have not used it yet.  Will probably make the mod just in case.

                        Mike W6MXV

                        I use the X-fi Soundblaster USB soundcard (with the capacitor mod) and I can run HDSDR with virtual audio and virtual serial cables and Fldigi and all it's digital modes. Additionally I can run PowerSDR 2.4 (newest version from Christos) in SSB mode quite well. I upgraded to 2 gig of ram with the Acer Aspire One and that helped quite a bit- easy upgrade on that model. I have to keep my hard drive fairly unfragmented for best performance. PowerSDR crashes a lot if I try to use it for the Fldigi SDR interface program- I think it's too much of a memory hog for this modest setup.

                        John
                        KC9OJV

                        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "edm6214" <eldave@...> wrote:

                        > Hi
                        >
                        > I have just joined this group after poking around in the posts for several weeks.
                        >
                        > One question that I haven't been able to find an answer for is what is the MINIMUM computing power requirements that I would need to run a Softrock RXTX
                        >
                        > Thanks
                        >
                        > David

                      • Sid Boyce
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 11, 2012
                          My ODROID-X is running my HiQSDR with ease 24/7 using hiqsdr-server, dspserver and QtRadio from ghpsdr3-alex project.

                          It's usually quite busy with guys connecting over the internet and tuning around the ham bands mostly but I have seen guys kicking the tyres all the way from the broadcast bands up to 6m.
                          73 ... Sid.

                          To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                          From: chris@...
                          Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 20:10:36 +0000

                          > It does depend on the software. I've not got the RXTX I have sitting
                          > here working yet, but for RX-only you can pretty much forget anything
                          > less than a PII-266. If you want a waterfall display or very sharp
                          > filtering you'll need at least a fastish Pentium-M - maybe 1.2GHz or better.

                          11/11/2012 20:05

                          Very good point, I assume the lack of processing power my machine has
                          is why noise blanking and noise filtering in HDSDR goes into some form
                          of spasm at times, with 100% CPU usage? Like a surging, with a drop
                          off of audio for a fraction of second then OK again for three or so
                          seconds?

                          I'd be intersted to know if a new PC should be built concentrating on
                          processor power, or memory? I am VERY loathe to move from XP to a
                          later Windows, but understand XP is limited to using a fixed and now
                          considered a relatively low amount of RAM? Linux is not really an
                          option, I just can't be doing with its inability to run so many of my
                          other applications. I suppose I COULD just use it for SDR, but it's a
                          PITA.

                          --
                          Best Regards,
                          Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY

                          --
                          Sid Boyce ... Hamradio License G3VBV, Licensed Private Pilot
                          Emeritus IBM/Amdahl Mainframes and Sun/Fujitsu Servers Tech Support

                        • John Greusel
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 11, 2012
                            Dave,

                            I have the XB1090.