Re: [softrock40] New member... and the first question

  • Chris Wilson
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 11, 2012

      > Hi

      > I have just joined this group after poking around in the posts for several weeks.

      > One question that I haven't been able to find an answer for is what
      > is the MINIMUM computing power requirements that I would need to run a Softrock RXTX

      > Thanks

      > David

      11/11/2012 19:05

      AMD 3600+ Sempron procesor and 2 gig of RAM under Windows XP works
      fine for me, and all my friends call this PC a dinosaur ;)

      HDSDR does show 100% processor occupation very occasionally and i am
      sure it would be better on a faster PC, but it's certainly totally
      usable.

      Anyone with anything "worse"?

      --
      Best Regards,
      Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 11, 2012
        Well, I have a Pentium 4 3GHz with 2GB ram. Haven't run HDSDR much on it but I have had no problems yet. This computer is only used
        for building, testing and troubleshooting though.

        73,
        Tim Herrick, KQ8M
        Charter Member North Coast Contesters
        kq8m@...

        AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org
        User Ports: 23, 7373 with local skimmer, 7374 without local skimmer

        > I have just joined this group after poking around in the posts for several weeks.

        > One question that I haven't been able to find an answer for is what
        > is the MINIMUM computing power requirements that I would need to run a Softrock RXTX

        > Thanks

        > David

        11/11/2012 19:05

        AMD 3600+ Sempron procesor and 2 gig of RAM under Windows XP works
        fine for me, and all my friends call this PC a dinosaur ;)

        HDSDR does show 100% processor occupation very occasionally and i am
        sure it would be better on a faster PC, but it's certainly totally
        usable.

        Anyone with anything "worse"?

        --
        Best Regards,
        Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY

      • John Greusel
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 11, 2012
          Atom based netbook- acer one.

          John
          KC9OJV

          > I have just joined this group after poking around in the posts for several weeks.

          > One question that I haven't been able to find an answer for is what
          > is the MINIMUM computing power requirements that I would need to run a Softrock RXTX

          > Thanks

          > David

          11/11/2012 19:05

          AMD 3600+ Sempron procesor and 2 gig of RAM under Windows XP works
          fine for me, and all my friends call this PC a dinosaur ;)

          HDSDR does show 100% processor occupation very occasionally and i am
          sure it would be better on a faster PC, but it's certainly totally
          usable.

          Anyone with anything "worse"?

          --
                Best Regards,
                            Chris Wilson.  2E0ILY

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              softrock40-digest@yahoogroups.com
              softrock40-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Gordon JC Pearce
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 11, 2012
            On 11/11/12 18:59, edm6214 wrote:
            > Hi
            >
            > I have just joined this group after poking around in the posts for
            > several weeks.
            >
            > One question that I haven't been able to find an answer for is what
            > is the MINIMUM computing power requirements that I would need to run
            > a Softrock RXTX

            It does depend on the software. I've not got the RXTX I have sitting
            here working yet, but for RX-only you can pretty much forget anything
            less than a PII-266. If you want a waterfall display or very sharp
            filtering you'll need at least a fastish Pentium-M - maybe 1.2GHz or better.

            --
            Gordonjcp MM0YEQ
          • edm6214
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 11, 2012
              Wow, guys, thanks for the warm welcome!

              Perhaps I should have phrased the question slightly differently - I have an HP 110 Mini netbook w/Atom N270 processor. If I add a USB stereo dongle, will the HP be sufficient? John, as my kit is very similar to yours, perhaps you'd be the best person to give me additional advice.

              Thanks,

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "edm6214" <eldave@...> wrote:

              > Hi
              >
              > I have just joined this group after poking around in the posts for several weeks.
              >
              > One question that I haven't been able to find an answer for is what is the MINIMUM computing power requirements that I would need to run a Softrock RXTX
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > David

            • Chris Wilson
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 11, 2012
                > It does depend on the software. I've not got the RXTX I have sitting
                > here working yet, but for RX-only you can pretty much forget anything
                > less than a PII-266. If you want a waterfall display or very sharp
                > filtering you'll need at least a fastish Pentium-M - maybe 1.2GHz or better.

                11/11/2012 20:05

                Very good point, I assume the lack of processing power my machine has
                is why noise blanking and noise filtering in HDSDR goes into some form
                of spasm at times, with 100% CPU usage? Like a surging, with a drop
                off of audio for a fraction of second then OK again for three or so
                seconds?

                I'd be intersted to know if a new PC should be built concentrating on
                processor power, or memory? I am VERY loathe to move from XP to a
                later Windows, but understand XP is limited to using a fixed and now
                considered a relatively low amount of RAM? Linux is not really an
                option, I just can't be doing with its inability to run so many of my
                other applications. I suppose I COULD just use it for SDR, but it's a
                PITA.

                --
                Best Regards,
                Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 11, 2012

                  On 11 Nov 2012, at 12:10, Chris Wilson <chris@...> wrote:

                  I'd be intersted to know if a new PC should be built concentrating on
                  processor power, or memory?

                  Neither-  both are cheap now.  Any current machine will have more than enough processor power to run SDR software.  Given that a Core i3 is probably fifteen or twenty times faster than a Pentium-M, it's hard to worry too much about either.  You can get eight gigabytes of DDR3 RAM for less than $75 now.  That's more than plenty for SDR apps.

                  I am VERY loathe to move from XP to a
                  later Windows, but understand XP is limited to using a fixed and now
                  considered a relatively low amount of RAM?

                  Windows XP is dead.  Move on.  Windows 7 is actually pretty good-  Windows 8 sucks though.  Twas ever so;  for some reason Microsoft seems incapable of making two decent versions of Windows in a row.

                  -J.
                • MIKE DURKIN
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 11, 2012
                    ODroidX and Ubuntu is looking promising....

                    Mike KC7NOA

                    To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                    From: chris@...
                    Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 20:10:36 +0000

                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 11, 2012

                      I use the X-fi Soundblaster USB soundcard (with the capacitor mod) and I can run HDSDR with virtual audio and virtual serial cables and Fldigi and all it's digital modes. Additionally I can run PowerSDR 2.4 (newest version from Christos) in SSB mode quite well. I upgraded to 2 gig of ram with the Acer Aspire One and that helped quite a bit- easy upgrade on that model. I have to keep my hard drive fairly unfragmented for best performance. PowerSDR crashes a lot if I try to use it for the Fldigi SDR interface program- I think it's too much of a memory hog for this modest setup.

                      John
                      KC9OJV

                      Wow, guys, thanks for the warm welcome!

                      Perhaps I should have phrased the question slightly differently - I have an HP 110 Mini netbook w/Atom N270 processor. If I add a USB stereo dongle, will the HP be sufficient? John, as my kit is very similar to yours, perhaps you'd be the best person to give me additional advice.

                      Thanks,

                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "edm6214" <eldave@...> wrote:

                      > Hi
                      >
                      > I have just joined this group after poking around in the posts for several weeks.
                      >
                      > One question that I haven't been able to find an answer for is what is the MINIMUM computing power requirements that I would need to run a Softrock RXTX
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      >
                      > David

                    • Dave Matthews
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 11, 2012
                        John,

                        Which part number Soundblaster are you using?  I am looking at getting on and don't know whether to go with SB1090, SB1095, or SB1290.  My old Soundblaster Live USB has given up the ghost.

                        Also - where would I find the capacitor mod?

                        Dave
                        KB2YWT

                        I use the X-fi Soundblaster USB soundcard (with the capacitor mod) and I can run HDSDR with virtual audio and virtual serial cables and Fldigi and all it's digital modes. Additionally I can run PowerSDR 2.4 (newest version from Christos) in SSB mode quite well. I upgraded to 2 gig of ram with the Acer Aspire One and that helped quite a bit- easy upgrade on that model. I have to keep my hard drive fairly unfragmented for best performance. PowerSDR crashes a lot if I try to use it for the Fldigi SDR interface program- I think it's too much of a memory hog for this modest setup.

                        John
                        KC9OJV

                        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "edm6214" <eldave@...> wrote:

                        > Hi
                        >
                        > I have just joined this group after poking around in the posts for several weeks.
                        >
                        > One question that I haven't been able to find an answer for is what is the MINIMUM computing power requirements that I would need to run a Softrock RXTX
                        >
                        > Thanks
                        >
                        > David

                      • MICHAEL TALLENT
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 11, 2012
                          I have the SB1095 but have not used it yet.  Will probably make the mod just in case.

                          Mike W6MXV

                          I use the X-fi Soundblaster USB soundcard (with the capacitor mod) and I can run HDSDR with virtual audio and virtual serial cables and Fldigi and all it's digital modes. Additionally I can run PowerSDR 2.4 (newest version from Christos) in SSB mode quite well. I upgraded to 2 gig of ram with the Acer Aspire One and that helped quite a bit- easy upgrade on that model. I have to keep my hard drive fairly unfragmented for best performance. PowerSDR crashes a lot if I try to use it for the Fldigi SDR interface program- I think it's too much of a memory hog for this modest setup.

                          John
                          KC9OJV

                          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "edm6214" <eldave@...> wrote:

                          > Hi
                          >
                          > I have just joined this group after poking around in the posts for several weeks.
                          >
                          > One question that I haven't been able to find an answer for is what is the MINIMUM computing power requirements that I would need to run a Softrock RXTX
                          >
                          > Thanks
                          >
                          > David

                        • Sid Boyce
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 11, 2012
                            My ODROID-X is running my HiQSDR with ease 24/7 using hiqsdr-server, dspserver and QtRadio from ghpsdr3-alex project.

                            It's usually quite busy with guys connecting over the internet and tuning around the ham bands mostly but I have seen guys kicking the tyres all the way from the broadcast bands up to 6m.
                            73 ... Sid.

                            To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                            From: chris@...
                            Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 20:10:36 +0000

                            > It does depend on the software. I've not got the RXTX I have sitting
                            > here working yet, but for RX-only you can pretty much forget anything
                            > less than a PII-266. If you want a waterfall display or very sharp
                            > filtering you'll need at least a fastish Pentium-M - maybe 1.2GHz or better.

                            11/11/2012 20:05

                            Very good point, I assume the lack of processing power my machine has
                            is why noise blanking and noise filtering in HDSDR goes into some form
                            of spasm at times, with 100% CPU usage? Like a surging, with a drop
                            off of audio for a fraction of second then OK again for three or so
                            seconds?

                            I'd be intersted to know if a new PC should be built concentrating on
                            processor power, or memory? I am VERY loathe to move from XP to a
                            later Windows, but understand XP is limited to using a fixed and now
                            considered a relatively low amount of RAM? Linux is not really an
                            option, I just can't be doing with its inability to run so many of my
                            other applications. I suppose I COULD just use it for SDR, but it's a
                            PITA.

                            --
                            Best Regards,
                            Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY

                            --
                            Sid Boyce ... Hamradio License G3VBV, Licensed Private Pilot
                            Emeritus IBM/Amdahl Mainframes and Sun/Fujitsu Servers Tech Support

                          • John Greusel
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 11, 2012
                              Dave,

                              I have the XB1090.