Re: Ensemble Stage Three Problems

  • timinuganda
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 11, 2012
      Alan,

      there are no Unknown Devices or Hidden Unknown Devices in Device Manager. I put a fresh install of XP on the laptop and it too does not recognize the device.

      Pin 8 - 5.15V
      Pin 4 - 0V

      tim

      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 12, 2012
        Subject: [softrock40] Re: Ensemble Stage Three Problems

        > there are no Unknown Devices or Hidden Unknown Devices in Device Manager. I put a fresh install of XP on the laptop and it too
        > does not recognize the device.
        >
        > Pin 8 - 5.15V
        > Pin 4 - 0V

        tim

        You seem to have checked everything.
        If all is definitely correct then maybe U1 is faulty. It only needs 5V and the few components connected to it to "talk" to the
        computer.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • timinuganda
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 12, 2012
          Alan,

          thanks for the step-by-step assistance. Its difficult for me to have any confidence in my own spot checking, given this is my first kit attempt of any kind. Do you suggest I order a new ATTiny85 programed as V15.12 like the one on K5NWA's site?

          http://thepartsplace.k5nwa.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=53

          thanks,

          tim

          > Subject: [softrock40] Re: Ensemble Stage Three Problems
          >

          > > there are no Unknown Devices or Hidden Unknown Devices in Device Manager. I put a fresh install of XP on the laptop and it too
          > > does not recognize the device.
          > >
          > > Pin 8 - 5.15V
          > > Pin 4 - 0V
          > >

          > tim
          >
          > You seem to have checked everything.
          > If all is definitely correct then maybe U1 is faulty. It only needs 5V and the few components connected to it to "talk" to the
          > computer.
          >
          > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

        • Chris Wilson
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 12, 2012

            > Alan,

            > thanks for the step-by-step assistance. Its difficult for me to
            > have any confidence in my own spot checking, given this is my first
            > kit attempt of any kind. Do you suggest I order a new ATTiny85
            > programed as V15.12 like the one on K5NWA's site?

            > http://thepartsplace.k5nwa.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=53

            > thanks,

            > tim

            12/11/2012 10:59

            I had this problem with my last Softrock build (I have done several
            now). A new U1 sorted it. I was told failure was very rare. Mine
            worked fine for a month or so, then was just not working one morning. I
            confirmed it by unplugging the U1 from another working Softrock. The
            "dead" receiver came alive. The "living" one went dead. A new pre
            programmed U1 fixed it, and it's still working fine many months later, on
            24 hours a day, seven days a week. I'd get a new one ordered, good
            luck!

            --
            Best Regards,
            Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 12, 2012
              Chris,

              thanks for jumping in with a word of encouragement. I will order one today to the Stateside address then have it shipped here so I'll see the new part in about 5 weeks. And there's my Christmas present to myself.

              This is a great group with many who have patiently offered help. Thanks to everyone.

              tim
              5R8Z

              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 12, 2012

                >I will order one today to the Stateside address then have it shipped here so I'll see the new part in about 5 weeks.

                tim,

                This is usually the time Tony comes in and sends you one. Maybe tell him if he does not. He is very good for replacing items found
                faulty.
                In fact v15.15 is the latest, although there will be no differences for the HF Ensembles.

                73 Alan G4ZFQ
              • timinuganda
                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 12, 2012
                  Alan,

                  I have purchased the replacement U1 ATTiny85. Could I have damaged the U1 because of bad solder connections on the U2? I wouldn't want Tony shelling out for my errors.

                  Thank you for your help and precise guidance.

                  tim
                  5R8Z

                  > Subject: [softrock40] Re: Ensemble Stage Three Problems
                  >

                  > >I will order one today to the Stateside address then have it shipped here so I'll see the new part in about 5 weeks.
                  >
                  > tim,
                  >
                  > This is usually the time Tony comes in and sends you one. Maybe tell him if he does not. He is very good for replacing items found
                  > faulty.
                  > In fact v15.15 is the latest, although there will be no differences for the HF Ensembles.
                  >
                  > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                • timinuganda
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 11, 2013
                    I received the replacement U1 ATTiny85 V15.12 and installed it on the board. This resolved my issue. I can set any frequency with CFGSR and hear a tone on that frequency.

                    U4 Pin 1 reads -0.06 (yes, negative voltage with the positive lead on pin one and the negative lead on pin 3)

                    Is this an acceptable value?

                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 11, 2013

                      >I received the replacement U1 ATTiny85 V15.12 and installed it on the board. This resolved my issue. I can set any frequency with
                      >CFGSR and hear a tone on that frequency.
                      >
                      > U4 Pin 1 reads -0.06 (yes, negative voltage with the positive lead on pin one and the negative lead on pin 3)

                      tim,

                      This is not a valid test, Pin 1 and 3 are referenced to different grounds. You may be measuring the difference between those
                      grounds.

                      73 Alan G4ZFQ
                    • timinuganda
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 11, 2013
                        Alan, right you are. In the very old PDF I have the picture of U4 above the Opto-Isolator Voltage Test showed "reg GND" and I went for it.

                        Using U1 Pin 4 I get 0.42V and it varies 0.41-45V. Is this a green light to move to Stage 4?

                        Thanks for your time and help Alan,

                        tim 5R8Z

                        > Subject: [softrock40] Re: Ensemble Stage Three Problems
                        >

                        > >I received the replacement U1 ATTiny85 V15.12 and installed it on the board. This resolved my issue. I can set any frequency with
                        > >CFGSR and hear a tone on that frequency.
                        > >
                        > > U4 Pin 1 reads -0.06 (yes, negative voltage with the positive lead on pin one and the negative lead on pin 3)
                        > >

                        > tim,
                        >
                        > This is not a valid test, Pin 1 and 3 are referenced to different grounds. You may be measuring the difference between those
                        > grounds.
                        >

                        > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                      • R. R. (Robby) Robson
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 11, 2013
                          Voltage is OK - move on

                          On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 6:08 AM, timinuganda <timinuganda@...> wrote:

                          Alan, right you are. In the very old PDF I have the picture of U4 above the Opto-Isolator Voltage Test showed "reg GND" and I went for it.

                          Using U1 Pin 4 I get 0.42V and it varies 0.41-45V. Is this a green light to move to Stage 4?

                          Thanks for your time and help Alan,

                          tim 5R8Z

                          > Subject: [softrock40] Re: Ensemble Stage Three Problems
                          >

                          > >I received the replacement U1 ATTiny85 V15.12 and installed it on the board. This resolved my issue. I can set any frequency with
                          > >CFGSR and hear a tone on that frequency.
                          > >
                          > > U4 Pin 1 reads -0.06 (yes, negative voltage with the positive lead on pin one and the negative lead on pin 3)
                          > >

                          > tim,
                          >
                          > This is not a valid test, Pin 1 and 3 are referenced to different grounds. You may be measuring the difference between those
                          > grounds.

                          Cheers,
                          Robby

                          Richard R. (Robby) Robson