Re: Ensemble rxtx troubles

  • kk4dcf
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 11, 2012
      Pulled and resoldered T5 and I appear to have a fully working radio now. I'll know for sure tomorrow. The 20/40m bands appear completely dead right now.

      James.

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kk4dcf" <oohay@...> wrote:

      > Two steps forward, one step back. I can tune on 40m and 20m consistently now. The ATU reports transmit power on 40m between 1.5 and 3w. On 20m it reports between 0.5 and 1.5w.
      >
      > Unfortunately now I have significant mirroring and it's back to being quite deaf. It seems like the I and the Q channels are being mixed. Not like one is simply absent. If anyone has suggestions for somewhere to check for unexpected continuity, I'd appreciate them. I'm doing my best to understand what's going on in the schematic but that's been a very slow process.
      >
      > I was quite close to just tossing this all in a box and moving onto some other hobby ideas. The rattle of the atu has given me some hope here.
      >
      > James.
      >
      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kk4dcf" <oohay@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I've been testing continuity from the solder balls after installing them to be sure. I'm wondering if maybe I installed T4 backwards and had a primary and secondary swapped.
      > >
      > > Anyhow, on to T3. I was hoping to not have to do this one.
      > >
      > > James.
      > >
      > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, John Greusel <greusel@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > James,
      > > > Bear in mind that the many of troubles with transformers is incorrect cleaning of the insulation and essentially soldering an insulated wire in place with little or no contact. You may have built them them correctly and may just need to tin the ends a bit better. It almost sounds to me like you're close to having it work correctly in any event. Might take a look at this link.
      > > >
      > > > http://epic.mcmaster.ca/~elmer101/rfpower/rfpower.html
      > > >

      > > > John
      > > > KC9OJV
      > > >

      > > > ________________________________

    • John Williams
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 11, 2012
        James,

        When using PowerSDR, I had to establish the correct output voltage before I could get 1 full watt output. The setting is on the primary audio setup tab. You disconnect the transmit cable from the radio (line out from the computer) and put a voltmeter across the the tip and the large ring. Press test, and measure the RMS voltage. Then place that value in the box. The default was around 2.23 V if I  recall, and on my sound card, I have to put 0.78V. Give that a try on 20M. I get .8 W out on 20M which is enough for my MFJ antenna tuner to see.

        John

        --

        John Williams

        KE5SSH - ham since 2007
        WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

      • John Greusel
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 11, 2012
          James,

          You're nearly out of the woods.
          Symmetrical images is without a doubt the most common problem for new softrocks.
          It can be caused by several problems and most of them are not to much trouble to sort out.
          Cables can be faulty, jacks can have shorts and the soundcard configurations can be wrong.
          Solder whiskers and small residual pieces of wire can easily do this. I would suggest a bright light and a magnifying glass to inspect the area at the plug and back to the first chip- look for solder bridges at the IC. You can check continuity from the cables ends through the jacks on the softrock etc. Stay with it and you'll sort this out.

          John
          KC9OJV