Re: [softrock40] Jmonitor and the latest GIT of ghpsdr3-alex

  • Andrea Montefusco
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 11, 2012
      On 11/11/2012 03:06 AM, n8mdp wrote:
      > Yesterday, I installed the latest GIT of ghpsdr3-alex for my SoftRock Ensemble II for station N8MDP. No problems with the install or serving the Softrock. People are connecting through QtRadio.
      >
      > The problem that I am running into is with Jmonitor in the /branches/java/jmonitor folders. I performed a clean build in NetBeans as John Melton suggests. However, when I run jmonitor in the NetBeans IDE or even from a command line, I get a ton of Invalid Buffer errors. For example:
      >
      > run:
      > opened client socket on port 8000
      > Client: invalid buffer_type 251

      John,

      I am afraid that Jmonitor has never been upgraded to the new client server protocol in ghpsdr3-alex.
      AFAIK, there are only two clients able to speak that protocol: QtRadio and glSDR (the Android App).

      *am*

      Andrea Montefusco iw0hdv http://www.montefusco.com
      tel: +393356992791 fax: +390623318709
    • n8mdp
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 11, 2012
        Andrea,

        Thanks for the update. I would be happy to try to update the jmonitor tool myself. If you could direct me to where the new protocols are in ghpsdr3-alex, I could give it a try. Most of jmonitor is working so I hope this would not be a monumental task.

        Thanks.
        John
        n8MDP

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 11, 2012
          On 11/11/2012 02:45 PM, n8mdp wrote:
          > Thanks for the update. I would be happy to try to update the jmonitor tool myself.
          > If you could direct me to where the new protocols are in ghpsdr3-alex,
          > I could give it a try. Most of jmonitor is working so I hope this would not be a monumental task.

          The client implementation can be seen in trunk/src/QtRadio/Connection.cpp.
          I suggest you to subscribe also to sdr-widget mailing list where, despite the name, the ghpsdr3-alex
          developments are discussed. There you can even ask for github repository write access.

          *am*

          Andrea Montefusco iw0hdv http://www.montefusco.com
          tel: +393356992791 fax: +390623318709
        • John Tucker
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 11, 2012
            Andrea,

            Thanks. I'll see what I can do. If I get it working, I'll let you know.

            Regards.
            John

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 17, 2012
              Andrea,

              I isolated the problem I am having. The "Client: invalid buffer_type" error is generated on John Melton's Client.java file component of jmonitor. It is a result of the buffer_type not equaling 0 for SPECTRUM_BUFFER and 1 for AUDIO_BUFFER. I am getting buffer types such as:

              run:
              opened client socket on port 8000
              Client: invalid buffer_type 119
              Client: invalid buffer_type 241
              Client: invalid buffer_type 100
              Client: invalid buffer_type 200
              Client: invalid buffer_type 228

              Using NetBeans, I can step by step debug the code as it is executing and monitor the buffer_type at is inputted by the command buffer_type=inputSTream.read(); command

              So there is something in the protocol in the latest version of the ghpsdr3-alex code that jmonitor doesn't agree with. I will be reviewing the Connection.cpp code to see if I can determine where the problem is. But if you have some information that could help me, I would appreciate it. I am not the best C++ coder but I can usually figure things out. Perhaps it is just my lack of knowledge of how the data is passed between the dspserver / Connection.cpp code and into jmonitor.

              Best Regards.
              John
              N8MDP