Re: [softrock40] Receive Sort Of Working

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 10, 2012
      Subject: [softrock40] Receive Sort Of Working

      >First of all, why is WWVH not at 10.000 MHz?

      Patrick

      Wait until conditions are good enough to hear amateur signals with PSDR. Check they are on the right sideband. Or, if you can, check
      the tuning is correct with HF on the right. If not cross IQ. Then calibrate the Si570, one way
      <http://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/calibrating-the-softrock-si570-usb-controller>

      >Also, when I tune around using PSDR, I notice that I have a huge 35 dB spike that follows me around and always remains about 10 kHz
      >below center, even when no antenna is connected. Does anyone know what might cause this?

      This is normal. As you observe PSDR is configured to avoid this. Other software shows where it is, in the centre of the tuning band.
      Spike is produced by many soundcards, a wider mound is ground loop.

      73 Alan G4ZFQ
    • Patrick Hall
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 13, 2012
        I managed to calibrate the Si570 so that WWV is within 1 kHz.  However, I picked up a ham station on 20m and notice that I could only dial him in on lower sideband.  How do I fix this (reverse the sidebands)?

        Thanks,
        Patrick

        ----- Original Message ----- Subject: [softrock40] Receive Sort Of Working >First of all, why is WWVH not at 10.000 MHz? Patrick Wait until conditions are good enough to hear amateur signals with PSDR. Check they are on the right sideband. Or, if you can, check the tuning is correct with HF on the right. If not cross IQ. Then calibrate the Si570, one way <http://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/calibrating-the-softrock-si570-usb-controller> >Also, when I tune around using PSDR, I notice that I have a huge 35 dB spike that follows me around and always remains about 10 kHz >below center, even when no antenna is connected. Does anyone know what might cause this? This is normal. As you observe PSDR is configured to avoid this. Other software shows where it is, in the centre of the tuning band. Spike is produced by many soundcards, a wider mound is ground loop. 73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • Jasmine Strong
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 13, 2012

          Swap I and Q.

          -J.

[...]

        • Dave
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 13, 2012
              Reverse the I and Q signals.

            Dave - WB6DHW
            <http://wb6dhw.com>

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 14, 2012

              >I managed to calibrate the Si570 so that WWV is within 1 kHz. However, I picked up a ham station on 20m and notice that I could
              >only dial him in on lower sideband. How do I fix this (reverse the sidebands)?

              Patrick,

              This IS with PSDR?
              Then change the RX IQ link.
              Do you mean 1Hz? This is how close you should be (for a few minutes).
              In any case the tuning will not have been correct, you should have noticed it was reversed.

              73 Alan G4ZFQ

[...]
            • warrenallgyer
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 14, 2012
                Patrick

                As others have said, you appear to need to swap the I and Q channels. In addition, if you have calibrated WWV with the channels reversed then you have likely set the Si5170 far off frequency. I recommend, after you reverse your channels, set the Si5170 back to default, find WWV, and re-calibrate.

                Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 14, 2012
                  Okay, now I'm really confused.  I removed the RX jumpers and set them straight (they were crossed as per the instructions).  However, now I only see a spectrum in PSDR within the white bandwidth bars.  So, for example, if I'm in USB mode there's a white bar to the right of my carrier, and I only see a spectrum inside of that bar.  I also only hear a squeal over the headphones.  It's possible I may have damaged something during the rework as I did accidentally lift a pad on the bottom side (which is why I hate doing rework).

                  I'll continue to investigate.  I should change the title to "Receive Definitely Not Working".  :-)

                  Patrick

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 15, 2012

                    > I removed the RX jumpers and set them straight (they were crossed as per the instructions). However, now I only see a spectrum in
                    > PSDR within the white bandwidth bars. So, for example, if I'm in USB mode there's a white bar to the right of my carrier, and I
                    > only see a spectrum inside of that bar. I also only hear a squeal over the headphones. It's possible I may have damaged something
                    > during the rework

                    Patrick,

                    Are you sure you fitted them straight, (away from the socket)?
                    If so, then did you reconnect correctly? Otherwise you must look for what damage you may have done. I've no idea what you it is you
                    see in PSDR.

                    It is best to leave these links with a loop so they my be cut, then each piece removed so changing is easier. I put one wire on top,
                    the other at the bottom.
                    I've always thought RX should be straight but not everyone agrees.

                    73 Alan G4ZFQ.
                  • wfahle
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 15, 2012
                      Interestingly, with all the controversy around I/Q switching, I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. I haven't got transmit tested yet so this is RX only on the TXRX ensemble. I built mine with TX and RX swapped jumpers as described in my build notes. I was listening via HDSDR the other day and heard W1AW, but it was on the wrong frequency. I unchecked the swap I/Q and it went to the right frequency. This will provide information both for build and for software. Again I don't know the results of the TX yet; I'll check this weekend against my ICOM.

                      One fun but unrelated thing of note I did last night was to tune up the ICOM and transmit CW around 7061khz. At the same time, I went to http://w4ax.com and tuned to 40 meters. Sure enough, as soon as I started transmitting, I could see and hear myself delayed a little to get from Texas to Atlanta, through the software, and back to my web page (which was confusing my send; I had to turn down the PC volume). Anyway, an SDR success story, and fun. I tried it again later but the propagation had changed, so your mileage may vary on this test.