Jmonitor and the latest GIT of ghpsdr3-alex

  • n8mdp
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 10, 2012
      Yesterday, I installed the latest GIT of ghpsdr3-alex for my SoftRock Ensemble II for station N8MDP. No problems with the install or serving the Softrock. People are connecting through QtRadio.

      The problem that I am running into is with Jmonitor in the /branches/java/jmonitor folders. I performed a clean build in NetBeans as John Melton suggests. However, when I run jmonitor in the NetBeans IDE or even from a command line, I get a ton of Invalid Buffer errors. For example:

      run:
      opened client socket on port 8000
      Client: invalid buffer_type 251
      Client: invalid buffer_type 18
      Client: invalid buffer_type 227
      Client: invalid buffer_type 157
      Client: invalid buffer_type 246
      Client: invalid buffer_type 199
      Client: invalid buffer_type 102
      Client: invalid buffer_type 23
      Client: invalid buffer_type 82
      Client: invalid buffer_type 246
      Client: invalid buffer_type 106
      Client: invalid buffer_type 29
      Client: invalid buffer_type 66
      Client: invalid buffer_type 240
      Client: invalid buffer_type 23
      Client: invalid buffer_type 23
      Client: invalid buffer_type 241
      Client: invalid buffer_type 245
      Client: invalid buffer_type 74
      Client: invalid buffer_type 219
      Client: invalid buffer_type 85
      Client: invalid buffer_type 126

      I have not been able to determine what is wrong. Did this software get updated at all when the new GIT of ghpsdr3-alex became available/

      I am running the latest version of NetBeans IDE 7.2.1.

      I would love to get this program working. Any ideas from anyone?

      Thanks and 73.
      John
      N8MDP
    • Andrea Montefusco
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 11, 2012
        On 11/11/2012 03:06 AM, n8mdp wrote:
        > Yesterday, I installed the latest GIT of ghpsdr3-alex for my SoftRock Ensemble II for station N8MDP. No problems with the install or serving the Softrock. People are connecting through QtRadio.
        >
        > The problem that I am running into is with Jmonitor in the /branches/java/jmonitor folders. I performed a clean build in NetBeans as John Melton suggests. However, when I run jmonitor in the NetBeans IDE or even from a command line, I get a ton of Invalid Buffer errors. For example:
        >
        > run:
        > opened client socket on port 8000
        > Client: invalid buffer_type 251

        John,

        I am afraid that Jmonitor has never been upgraded to the new client server protocol in ghpsdr3-alex.
        AFAIK, there are only two clients able to speak that protocol: QtRadio and glSDR (the Android App).

        *am*

        Andrea Montefusco iw0hdv http://www.montefusco.com
        tel: +393356992791 fax: +390623318709
      • n8mdp
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 11, 2012
          Andrea,

          Thanks for the update. I would be happy to try to update the jmonitor tool myself. If you could direct me to where the new protocols are in ghpsdr3-alex, I could give it a try. Most of jmonitor is working so I hope this would not be a monumental task.

          Thanks.
          John
          n8MDP

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 11, 2012
            On 11/11/2012 02:45 PM, n8mdp wrote:
            > Thanks for the update. I would be happy to try to update the jmonitor tool myself.
            > If you could direct me to where the new protocols are in ghpsdr3-alex,
            > I could give it a try. Most of jmonitor is working so I hope this would not be a monumental task.

            The client implementation can be seen in trunk/src/QtRadio/Connection.cpp.
            I suggest you to subscribe also to sdr-widget mailing list where, despite the name, the ghpsdr3-alex
            developments are discussed. There you can even ask for github repository write access.

            *am*

            Andrea Montefusco iw0hdv http://www.montefusco.com
            tel: +393356992791 fax: +390623318709
          • John Tucker
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 11, 2012
              Andrea,

              Thanks. I'll see what I can do. If I get it working, I'll let you know.

              Regards.
              John

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 17, 2012
                Andrea,

                I isolated the problem I am having. The "Client: invalid buffer_type" error is generated on John Melton's Client.java file component of jmonitor. It is a result of the buffer_type not equaling 0 for SPECTRUM_BUFFER and 1 for AUDIO_BUFFER. I am getting buffer types such as:

                run:
                opened client socket on port 8000
                Client: invalid buffer_type 119
                Client: invalid buffer_type 241
                Client: invalid buffer_type 100
                Client: invalid buffer_type 200
                Client: invalid buffer_type 228

                Using NetBeans, I can step by step debug the code as it is executing and monitor the buffer_type at is inputted by the command buffer_type=inputSTream.read(); command

                So there is something in the protocol in the latest version of the ghpsdr3-alex code that jmonitor doesn't agree with. I will be reviewing the Connection.cpp code to see if I can determine where the problem is. But if you have some information that could help me, I would appreciate it. I am not the best C++ coder but I can usually figure things out. Perhaps it is just my lack of knowledge of how the data is passed between the dspserver / Connection.cpp code and into jmonitor.

                Best Regards.
                John
                N8MDP