Re: Ensemble Stage Three Problems

  • rlramirez77
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 10, 2012
      Not sure my last reply made it back to you.

      Your notes are correct regarding the resistor values. Alan can guide you through the rest of the problem determination better than I.

      Russ
      K0WFS

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "timinuganda" <timinuganda@...> wrote:

      > Russ, the Ensemble was purchased December 2010 for $77 so I'm guessing it is not an Ensemble II, but that's a guess. The board says, "RXTX Ensemble - KB9YIG.com 5/24/10." Does this mean mine is not an Ensemble II?
      >
      > My "Builder's Notes" are dated 3/22/2011, only three months after it was purchased. The schematic on page 1 of 17 in this version says R4 is 4.7K and R6 is 1M. Am I referencing something wrong?
      >
      > Here are my Stage 2 notes:
      >
      > 5.02 V
      >
      > 3.7v then falls to 0v
      >
      > After Google helped me learn to test a Diode (and is why I'm delayed in my response) I can report:
      >
      > D1 - 703
      > D2 - 699
      >
      > They are installed correctly.
      >
      > Thanks Russ, look forward to your response.
      >
      > tim
      >

      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Russ Ramirez <russ.ramirez@> wrote:
      > >
      > > You're welcome. I assumed this was an RX Ensemble II, is that correct, or
      > > no?
      > >
      > > For the aforementioned, or the Rx Ensemble, use the schematic value of
      > > 1Meg. Regardless, ensure that you didn't accidentally insert one of the two
      > > zener diodes in upside down. If you did not, then measure the resistance
      > > across each and ensure it is roughly the same reading. Did you perform the
      > > USB Power Supply testing steps?
      > >
      > > Russ
      > >
      > > On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 9:38 AM, timinuganda <timinuganda@> wrote:
      > >
      > > > **
      > > >

      > > > Russ, thank you for responding.
      > > >
      > > > No, the ATTiny85 was in the socket when I took measurements. R4 in my
      > > > "Builder's Notes" Stage 03 Local Oscillator says "R04 4.7K 1/6W 5%
      > > > yel-vio-red-gld" and that is the resistor I have installed. Is this wrong?
      > > >
      > > > With the microcontroller removed and the USB plugged in I read the
      > > > following:
      > > >
      > > > R1 - 0.1V
      > > > R2 - 2.64V
      > > >
      > > > thanks for working through this with me,
      > > >
      > > > tim

      > > > dated

    • timinuganda
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 11, 2012
        Russ,

        thank you for helping me work through my troubles with Stage 3. Thank you for your time and your patience with a new student.

        tim
        5R8Z

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "rlramirez77" <russ.ramirez@...> wrote:

        > Not sure my last reply made it back to you.
        >
        > Your notes are correct regarding the resistor values. Alan can guide you through the rest of the problem determination better than I.
        >
        > Russ
        > K0WFS
        >
        > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "timinuganda" <timinuganda@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Russ, the Ensemble was purchased December 2010 for $77 so I'm guessing it is not an Ensemble II, but that's a guess. The board says, "RXTX Ensemble - KB9YIG.com 5/24/10." Does this mean mine is not an Ensemble II?
        > >
        > > My "Builder's Notes" are dated 3/22/2011, only three months after it was purchased. The schematic on page 1 of 17 in this version says R4 is 4.7K and R6 is 1M. Am I referencing something wrong?
        > >
        > > Here are my Stage 2 notes:
        > >
        > > 5.02 V
        > >
        > > 3.7v then falls to 0v
        > >
        > > After Google helped me learn to test a Diode (and is why I'm delayed in my response) I can report:
        > >
        > > D1 - 703
        > > D2 - 699
        > >
        > > They are installed correctly.
        > >
        > > Thanks Russ, look forward to your response.
        > >
        > > tim
        > >

        > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Russ Ramirez <russ.ramirez@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > You're welcome. I assumed this was an RX Ensemble II, is that correct, or
        > > > no?
        > > >
        > > > For the aforementioned, or the Rx Ensemble, use the schematic value of
        > > > 1Meg. Regardless, ensure that you didn't accidentally insert one of the two
        > > > zener diodes in upside down. If you did not, then measure the resistance
        > > > across each and ensure it is roughly the same reading. Did you perform the
        > > > USB Power Supply testing steps?
        > > >
        > > > Russ

      • timinuganda
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 11, 2012
          Alan,

          thank you for jumping in to help. I am grateful.

          I do have T1 installed when measuring R12. Thank you for the lesson to not trust Resistor readings once in circuit shorted to DC.

          I cleaned up U2 and C54. I found a tutorial on flooding solder onto multiple legs of a SMT component then sucking it for a clean finish. That worked well and seemed to fix the V3V issue.

          R10 - 3.02 (with TinyAT 85 removed)
          R10 - 2.98 (with TinyAT 85 installed)

          I will reference the Win 7 link you provided now and begin working on driver installation the remainder of stage 3.

          tim

          > Subject: [softrock40] Ensemble Stage Three Problems
          >

          > >Here are the readings for Stage 3 components on board dated 5/24/10.
          >
          > >3v rail = 1.01
          >
          > Tim,
          >
          > This comes from the regulator, it may be faulty.
          > Check your soldering of U2. Particularly of the centre ground connection. Make sure all is clean especially around C54.

          > 1 - 67
          > 2 - 67
          > 3 - 4.61K
          > 4 - 4.58K
          > 5 - 2.19K
          > 6 - 984K
          > 7 - 68
          > 8 - 9.25K ohm
          > 9 - 2.18K
          > 10 - 2.18K 1.06V (not 3V)
          > 12 - only 1 ohm
          >
          > >two obvious problems I see are:
          >
          > >. Only 1V on Resistor 10.
          >
          > This IS wrong. But you have already said the 3V3 is wrong.
          >
          > >. Resistor 12 is dead.
          >
          > But often you must not rely on resistance readings. I presume you have T1 installed? Then this shorts out the resistor to DC. You
          > cannot measure R12 in circuit.
          >
          > >There are no solder bridges on the Si570 per the builder's notes.
          > >All Resistors were checked visual for proper color code, particularly number 12 which appears dead.
          >
          > >Windows 7 says USB device not recognized.
          >
          > Look at this <http://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/attiny_usb> Windows 7 often needs to be told where the driver is.
          >
          > >With the microcontroller removed and the USB plugged in I read the following:
          >
          > R1 - 0.1V
          > R2 - 2.64V
          >
          > I think this is what you should get. But please just report the readings that Robby makes unless someone asks you for something
          > else.
          >
          > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

        • timinuganda
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 11, 2012
            Alan,

            I have referenced your link and still have a "USB device not recognized." I have used a Win 7 desktop and laptop with all USB devices unplugged. Neither show that it has recognized a "DG8SAQ-I2C." I will try to install Win XP to a different HDD for my laptop for testing.

            Any other thoughts?

            tim

            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 11, 2012
              Subject: [softrock40] Re: Ensemble Stage Three Problems

              > still have a "USB device not recognized." I have used a Win 7 desktop and laptop with all USB devices unplugged. Neither show that
              > it has recognized a "DG8SAQ-I2C."

              tim

              So you have no Unknown Devices or Hidden Unknown Devices.
              It seems that there may be a fault around U1.
              One solder connection to look at is the ground pin of U1.
              Check you have 5V on pin 8 and 0V on pin 4.
              Recheck other joints.

              73 Alan G4ZFQ
            • timinuganda
              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 11, 2012
                Alan,

                there are no Unknown Devices or Hidden Unknown Devices in Device Manager. I put a fresh install of XP on the laptop and it too does not recognize the device.

                Pin 8 - 5.15V
                Pin 4 - 0V

                tim

                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 12, 2012

                  > there are no Unknown Devices or Hidden Unknown Devices in Device Manager. I put a fresh install of XP on the laptop and it too
                  > does not recognize the device.
                  >
                  > Pin 8 - 5.15V
                  > Pin 4 - 0V

                  tim

                  You seem to have checked everything.
                  If all is definitely correct then maybe U1 is faulty. It only needs 5V and the few components connected to it to "talk" to the
                  computer.

                  73 Alan G4ZFQ
                • timinuganda
                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 12, 2012
                    Alan,

                    thanks for the step-by-step assistance. Its difficult for me to have any confidence in my own spot checking, given this is my first kit attempt of any kind. Do you suggest I order a new ATTiny85 programed as V15.12 like the one on K5NWA's site?

                    http://thepartsplace.k5nwa.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=53

                    thanks,

                    tim

                    > Subject: [softrock40] Re: Ensemble Stage Three Problems
                    >

                    > > there are no Unknown Devices or Hidden Unknown Devices in Device Manager. I put a fresh install of XP on the laptop and it too
                    > > does not recognize the device.
                    > >
                    > > Pin 8 - 5.15V
                    > > Pin 4 - 0V
                    > >

                    > tim
                    >
                    > You seem to have checked everything.
                    > If all is definitely correct then maybe U1 is faulty. It only needs 5V and the few components connected to it to "talk" to the
                    > computer.
                    >
                    > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                  • Chris Wilson
                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 12, 2012

                      > Alan,

                      > thanks for the step-by-step assistance. Its difficult for me to
                      > have any confidence in my own spot checking, given this is my first
                      > kit attempt of any kind. Do you suggest I order a new ATTiny85
                      > programed as V15.12 like the one on K5NWA's site?

                      > http://thepartsplace.k5nwa.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=53

                      > thanks,

                      > tim

                      12/11/2012 10:59

                      I had this problem with my last Softrock build (I have done several
                      now). A new U1 sorted it. I was told failure was very rare. Mine
                      worked fine for a month or so, then was just not working one morning. I
                      confirmed it by unplugging the U1 from another working Softrock. The
                      "dead" receiver came alive. The "living" one went dead. A new pre
                      programmed U1 fixed it, and it's still working fine many months later, on
                      24 hours a day, seven days a week. I'd get a new one ordered, good
                      luck!

                      --
                      Best Regards,
                      Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 12, 2012
                        Chris,

                        thanks for jumping in with a word of encouragement. I will order one today to the Stateside address then have it shipped here so I'll see the new part in about 5 weeks. And there's my Christmas present to myself.

                        This is a great group with many who have patiently offered help. Thanks to everyone.

                        tim
                        5R8Z

                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 12, 2012

                          >I will order one today to the Stateside address then have it shipped here so I'll see the new part in about 5 weeks.

                          tim,

                          This is usually the time Tony comes in and sends you one. Maybe tell him if he does not. He is very good for replacing items found
                          faulty.
                          In fact v15.15 is the latest, although there will be no differences for the HF Ensembles.

                          73 Alan G4ZFQ
                        • timinuganda
                          Message 12 of 25 , Nov 12, 2012
                            Alan,

                            I have purchased the replacement U1 ATTiny85. Could I have damaged the U1 because of bad solder connections on the U2? I wouldn't want Tony shelling out for my errors.

                            Thank you for your help and precise guidance.

                            tim
                            5R8Z

                            > Subject: [softrock40] Re: Ensemble Stage Three Problems
                            >

                            > >I will order one today to the Stateside address then have it shipped here so I'll see the new part in about 5 weeks.
                            >
                            > tim,
                            >
                            > This is usually the time Tony comes in and sends you one. Maybe tell him if he does not. He is very good for replacing items found
                            > faulty.
                            > In fact v15.15 is the latest, although there will be no differences for the HF Ensembles.
                            >
                            > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                          • timinuganda
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 11, 2013
                              I received the replacement U1 ATTiny85 V15.12 and installed it on the board. This resolved my issue. I can set any frequency with CFGSR and hear a tone on that frequency.

                              U4 Pin 1 reads -0.06 (yes, negative voltage with the positive lead on pin one and the negative lead on pin 3)

                              Is this an acceptable value?

                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 11, 2013

                                >I received the replacement U1 ATTiny85 V15.12 and installed it on the board. This resolved my issue. I can set any frequency with
                                >CFGSR and hear a tone on that frequency.
                                >
                                > U4 Pin 1 reads -0.06 (yes, negative voltage with the positive lead on pin one and the negative lead on pin 3)

                                tim,

                                This is not a valid test, Pin 1 and 3 are referenced to different grounds. You may be measuring the difference between those
                                grounds.

                                73 Alan G4ZFQ
                              • timinuganda
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jan 11, 2013
                                  Alan, right you are. In the very old PDF I have the picture of U4 above the Opto-Isolator Voltage Test showed "reg GND" and I went for it.

                                  Using U1 Pin 4 I get 0.42V and it varies 0.41-45V. Is this a green light to move to Stage 4?

                                  Thanks for your time and help Alan,

                                  tim 5R8Z

                                  > Subject: [softrock40] Re: Ensemble Stage Three Problems
                                  >

                                  > >I received the replacement U1 ATTiny85 V15.12 and installed it on the board. This resolved my issue. I can set any frequency with
                                  > >CFGSR and hear a tone on that frequency.
                                  > >
                                  > > U4 Pin 1 reads -0.06 (yes, negative voltage with the positive lead on pin one and the negative lead on pin 3)
                                  > >

                                  > tim,
                                  >
                                  > This is not a valid test, Pin 1 and 3 are referenced to different grounds. You may be measuring the difference between those
                                  > grounds.
                                  >

                                  > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                                • R. R. (Robby) Robson
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jan 11, 2013
                                    Voltage is OK - move on

                                    On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 6:08 AM, timinuganda <timinuganda@...> wrote:

                                    Alan, right you are. In the very old PDF I have the picture of U4 above the Opto-Isolator Voltage Test showed "reg GND" and I went for it.

                                    Using U1 Pin 4 I get 0.42V and it varies 0.41-45V. Is this a green light to move to Stage 4?

                                    Thanks for your time and help Alan,

                                    tim 5R8Z

                                    > Subject: [softrock40] Re: Ensemble Stage Three Problems
                                    >

                                    > >I received the replacement U1 ATTiny85 V15.12 and installed it on the board. This resolved my issue. I can set any frequency with
                                    > >CFGSR and hear a tone on that frequency.
                                    > >
                                    > > U4 Pin 1 reads -0.06 (yes, negative voltage with the positive lead on pin one and the negative lead on pin 3)
                                    > >

                                    > tim,
                                    >
                                    > This is not a valid test, Pin 1 and 3 are referenced to different grounds. You may be measuring the difference between those
                                    > grounds.

                                    Cheers,
                                    Robby

                                    Richard R. (Robby) Robson