Re: [softrock40] Measuring toroids inductance

    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 10, 2012
      Subject: Re: [softrock40] Measuring toroids inductance

      >"the kit from G4HUP available from http://g4hup.com/LCM/LCMeter.htm which is only LC but excellent for measuring and matching caps
      >including SM parts and winding coils for HF/VHF

      Yes, this is the same as many designs.
      Google "a surprisingly accurate digital lc meter"

      But you do not have to measure them. Tuning is broad enough for the specified turns to be perfectly adequate.

      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 10, 2012
        I meant to add that most LC meters do not measure at the working frequency but previous discussions have concluded it makes no
        practical difference.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • Malti
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 10, 2012
          With all due respect, there are scores of similar pic based circuits around.
          What I need is a pic based, but the coil measured under a high RF frequency.
          That is the only way to obtain very accurate readings, especially for us, at RF !
          Most use audio or slightly higher frequency, which is not enough  !

          Paul

          On 10 November 2012 11:59, John Rabson <john.rabson@...> wrote:

          Or try this:

          "the kit from G4HUP available from http://g4hup.com/LCM/LCMeter.htm which is only LC but excellent for measuring and matching caps including SM parts and winding coils for HF/VHF

          73
          John G4SWX"

          On 10 Nov 2012, at 11:27CET, pauldebono@... wrote:

          A few years ago, I came across a Russian inductance meter kit.
          Mnay designers claim to be the best one around for accurancy.

          Anyone has the details please ?
          Many of the popular meters around are dubious about accuracy, because inductance is not measured at RF, but anything but RF !

          Paul

        • pauldebono@rocketmail.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 10, 2012
            I found it. It is not a kit, but a usb device:

            http://www.henrytest.com/

            Paul

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Malti <pawlud@...> wrote:

            > With all due respect, there are scores of similar pic based circuits around.
            > What I need is a pic based, but the coil measured under a high RF frequency.
            > That is the only way to obtain very accurate readings, especially for us,
            > at RF !
            > Most use audio or slightly higher frequency, which is not enough !
            >
            > Paul
            >
            > On 10 November 2012 11:59, John Rabson <john.rabson@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > Or try this:
            > >
            > > "the kit from G4HUP available from http://g4hup.com/LCM/LCMeter.htm which
            > > is only LC but excellent for measuring and matching caps including SM parts
            > > and winding coils for HF/VHF
            > >
            > > 73
            > > John G4SWX"
            > >
            > > On 10 Nov 2012, at 11:27CET, pauldebono@... wrote:
            > >

            > > A few years ago, I came across a Russian inductance meter kit.
            > > Mnay designers claim to be the best one around for accurancy.
            > >
            > > Anyone has the details please ?
            > > Many of the popular meters around are dubious about accuracy, because
            > > inductance is not measured at RF, but anything but RF !
            > >
            > > Paul

          • Jeff Blaine
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 10, 2012
              Paul,

              Not sure what the basis for that claim is.  The PIC and similar have worked for all the RF stuff I’ve done but you may have a special application.

              In any event, if you need something better, take a look at a VNA. That will let you do anything your heart desires.

              73/jeff/ac0c
              www.ac0c.com
              alpha-charlie-zero-charlie

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 10, 2012
                Simple PIC-based instruments measure inductance and capacitance at a rather low frequency compared with ham frequencies - in the 100-700 KHz range.

                However, an inductance value measured at say 500 KHz may or may not have a similar inductance at 5 or 25 MHz.

                Many factors enter in measured inductance versus frequency. Some are:

                1. Does the core material permeability vary with frequency? (Air, no; powdered iron, very little; ferrite material, permeability can change a great deal or a small amount with frequency depending on the particular mix.)

                2. Changes in current distribution - the winding current changes location to some degree with frequency due to skin effect and proximity effect, and as the current distribution changes, so does the inductance.

                3. Distributed capacitance - all inductors have distributed capacitance to one degree or another and as the test frequency approaches the self-resonance frequency of the inductor, the measured inductance will change, becoming very large, then zero at the SRF and negative above the SRF.

                Whether any or all of these factors are important cannot be answered in general abstract case; rather it depends on the details.

                As a rough statement, however, for inductors wound on powdered iron toroid cores and of typical values used in amateur radio construction and at frequencies in the 1-30 MHz range, a PIC-based instrument that measures inductance in the few hundred KHz range will produce useful results, with an error in the few percent range.

                I've written a detailed review of the AADE PIC-based L/C meter and discussed these factors in detail, as well as provided many measurement comparisons at
                http://www.cliftonlaboratories.com/Documents/AADE%20Reveiw.pdf

                Jack K8ZOA

                On 11/10/2012 7:57 AM, Malti wrote:

[...]

              • Russ Ramirez

                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 10, 2012
                    Hello Paul,

                    I'm use PC based software with very simple circuit. The accuracy is absolutely enough for radio amateurs.

                    Original article is here: http://www.sillanumsoft.org/ZRLC.htm
                    Schematic can be grab from article on Italian: http://www.marucchi.it/ZRLC_web/INTERFACCIA_ZRLC_p.pdf

                    Regards,
                    Andy. YL2QN

                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "pauldebono@..." <pawlud@...> wrote:

                    > A few years ago, I came across a Russian inductance meter kit.
                    > Mnay designers claim to be the best one around for accurancy.
                    >
                    > Anyone has the details please ?
                    > Many of the popular meters around are dubious about accuracy, because inductance is not measured at RF, but anything but RF !
                    >
                    > Paul

                  • rifkum
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 10, 2012
                      I just bought and used one of these...

                      http://www.ebay.com/itm/LC100-A-Digital-LCD-High-Precision-Inductance-Capacitance-L-C-multimeter-Meter-/271036658278?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1b0b3266

                      to build my ensemble RX II.

                      I am extremely pleased with it. Runs off of USB power (cable included) or there is an external power jack. The USB is only used for power, no data back to the computer required.

                      Seems very accurate... easy to use. All the capacitors checked out as marked and the toroids came out as they were supposed to according to the build plans and number of turns.

                      Be sure to zero it each time you turn it on (I zero it before each reading)

                      There are several on ebay.

                      I am very pleased with this one though.

                      good luck
                      dwight
                      N7KBC
                    • Zack Widup

                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 10, 2012
                          Helo everybody.

                          I also bought one of these on ebay.
                          I posted a video showing that this device working.
                          Softrock VHF RX Ensemble II 8/10 (T2 Wind) - http://youtu.be/3zKYe7ak-2U

                          73.
                          PU2CLR.
                          Ricardo.