Re: Ensemble rxtx troubles

  • kk4dcf
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 9, 2012
      I pulled the atu and my mirroring problem started up again.

      I'm fairly certain I found every conceivable place to increase the audio output levels from the computer. I've tried using powersdr, hdsdr tx via ssb and ghpsdr3. None of them are able to to transmit anything that the ATU will respond to. Wont tune. Wont give me power level indication. The T1 will poweroff after 3 seconds if it doesn't detect any transmission and that's what it's doing.

      I'm trying to get ghpsdr3 working well enough to make it available to anyone willing to take a look.

      James.

      > James,
      >
      > As John says, try RX without the ATU, are you on the right sideband?
      > What bands are you using?
      > But a good antenna and an open band is needed.
      > Make sure RX is good first.
      >
      > For TX is your mixer set correctly to max?
      > PSDR does not necessarily give full power unless setup properly. I forget exactly, read the manual.
      > Or use Rocky or HDSDR, much simpler for initial setup.
      > You do need something to judge your power. A diode across 50 ohms is better than nothing.
      >
      > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

    • John Greusel
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 9, 2012
        James,
        Mirroring is caused by feeding the Line In to a mono jack or a problem on the board.
        You're jumping in with both feet trying to master several things at once.
        That's a quick way to learn but also a quick way to get slapped around with SDR trouble areas.
        I would sort our the mirror problems with HDSDR and then proceed to the next problem.
        The tuner was not curing your mirroring.

        John
        KC9OJV

        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 9, 2012
          Pretty sure it's not a mono input issue. Sometimes when I pick it up and fiddle with the board it'll start doing this. I picked it up and fiddled with it again and the mirroring is gone.

          I've got ghpsdr3 running. Seems like it can only handle a single connection at a time. The second person that connects will get very choppy audio. The radio is running off some unprotected lipo batteries so I can't leave this running for very long. Can't walk away from it for long at least. If anyone wants to take a look it should be in the shared list, KK4DCF.

          Using ghpsdr3 with all output maxed out in pulseaudio, I still can't trigger the tuner.

          James.

          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 9, 2012
            James,

            You probably have a cold solder joint that's essentially giving you the effect of mono input.
            QTradio is not really ready for primetime so if you want to persist with that as a means of troubleshooting your transmit functions you're have to join that yahoo group and ask a lot of questions.
            HDSDR and PowerSDR both do transmit fine although PowerSDR had much more control over all the possible functions at this point. If you're satisfied with your receiver I would attach a dummy load, learn how to construct a diode based power meter and take some power measurements on your output.

            John
            KC9OJV

            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 9, 2012
              I'm not really concerned about which software I use. That's the easy part for me.

              I'm going to go back through the build instructions and retest all the points from there. I'll probably pull all the transformers off and rewind them. All I can do at this point is take shots in the dark.

              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 9, 2012
                My R48 and R49 voltages are off again. I thought I had fixed this while building it by replacing Q8 but the problem is back.

                R48 - 50mV
                R49 - 98mV

                I did a lot of searching and reading on this forum last time which led me to replacing Q8. I had also removed R48 and R49 to measure their resistance and they checked out fine. Does anyone have any suggestions for something else to test?

                James.

                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 10, 2012
                  James.

                  Low power output is a common problem when you have a poor connection at a transformer but it doesn't mean you need to start over and rewind everything. A diode power meter will at least give you a measure of what you have now.
                  Why not take a measure, redo T2 and test the power again. QT Radio is promising but, as far as I know it's not considered mature enough to use as a troubleshooting tool. Commendable that it's easy for you to download, compile and configure but I think if you asked the Alex (the head of that project) he would tell you it's sort of a waste of time to use QT Radio for debugging a Softrock (at this point in development). If you had a little more equipment you could follow the gain through the stages and see where you are losing it. In any event you can afford, apparently have the time and would greatly benefit having a simple homebrew 50 ohm dummy load and a diode rf meter. Both items can be constructed for under $10- if you already have a multimeter.

                  John
                  KC9OJV

                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 10, 2012
                    Rewound T4 and my voltages across R48 and R49 are at least close to each other now.

                    R48 - 32mV
                    R49 - 29mV

                    The ATU now at least indicates that something is happening when I attempt to transmit. The red led stays solid while transmitting. I was able to get it to tune once on 40m but haven't been able to get it to tune again. If I try to tune at the top of the 20m band, I don't get any solid red led or anything. The atu just powers down after 3 seconds.

                    I'll keep working backwards through the schematic and rewind T3 and then T2 if it still wont tune. I'm using the tuner to gauge transmit power since I have no other means to measure it right now.

                    As a side note, my receive performance seems to have improved after redoing T4. I can't quantify that and it may just be more activity over the weekend or wishful thinking.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 10, 2012
                      James,
                      Bear in mind that the many of troubles with transformers is incorrect cleaning of the insulation and essentially soldering an insulated wire in place with little or no contact. You may have built them them correctly and may just need to tin the ends a bit better. It almost sounds to me like you're close to having it work correctly in any event. Might take a look at this link.

                      http://epic.mcmaster.ca/~elmer101/rfpower/rfpower.html

                      John
                      KC9OJV

                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 10, 2012
                        Rewound T2. No change in apparent tx power

                        R48 - 34.6mV
                        R49 - 31.5mV

                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 10, 2012
                          I've been testing continuity from the solder balls after installing them to be sure. I'm wondering if maybe I installed T4 backwards and had a primary and secondary swapped.

                          Anyhow, on to T3. I was hoping to not have to do this one.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 10, 2012
                            Backwards has happened. The trouble with all this reworking is you may be making a normal amount of RF and you're assuming that you're not. The elecraft tuner not working isn't much of an indicator of anything.

                            John
                            KC9OJV

                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 10, 2012
                              Two steps forward, one step back. I can tune on 40m and 20m consistently now. The ATU reports transmit power on 40m between 1.5 and 3w. On 20m it reports between 0.5 and 1.5w.

                              Unfortunately now I have significant mirroring and it's back to being quite deaf. It seems like the I and the Q channels are being mixed. Not like one is simply absent. If anyone has suggestions for somewhere to check for unexpected continuity, I'd appreciate them. I'm doing my best to understand what's going on in the schematic but that's been a very slow process.

                              I was quite close to just tossing this all in a box and moving onto some other hobby ideas. The rattle of the atu has given me some hope here.

                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 11, 2012
                                Pulled and resoldered T5 and I appear to have a fully working radio now. I'll know for sure tomorrow. The 20/40m bands appear completely dead right now.

                              • John Williams
                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 11, 2012
                                  James,

                                  When using PowerSDR, I had to establish the correct output voltage before I could get 1 full watt output. The setting is on the primary audio setup tab. You disconnect the transmit cable from the radio (line out from the computer) and put a voltmeter across the the tip and the large ring. Press test, and measure the RMS voltage. Then place that value in the box. The default was around 2.23 V if I  recall, and on my sound card, I have to put 0.78V. Give that a try on 20M. I get .8 W out on 20M which is enough for my MFJ antenna tuner to see.

                                  John

                                  --

                                  John Williams

                                  KE5SSH - ham since 2007
                                  WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

                                • John Greusel
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Nov 11, 2012
                                    James,

                                    You're nearly out of the woods.
                                    Symmetrical images is without a doubt the most common problem for new softrocks.
                                    It can be caused by several problems and most of them are not to much trouble to sort out.
                                    Cables can be faulty, jacks can have shorts and the soundcard configurations can be wrong.
                                    Solder whiskers and small residual pieces of wire can easily do this. I would suggest a bright light and a magnifying glass to inspect the area at the plug and back to the first chip- look for solder bridges at the IC. You can check continuity from the cables ends through the jacks on the softrock etc. Stay with it and you'll sort this out.

                                    John
                                    KC9OJV