Re: [softrock40] RXTX V6.2 versus V6.3

  • John Greusel
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 8, 2012
      Chris,

      We just had the "build it or not" debate a few days ago and I think the consensus was if the narrow bandwidth (of the crystal Softrock) works for you then by all means build it.

      John
      KC9OJV

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 8, 2012
        From the QRP2000 page - http://sdr-kits.net/QRP2000_Description.html

        Full Band or Multi Band coverage of Softrock RXTX V6.1 and V6.2 transceivers (use Kit 1 CMOS version)

        Build it and add the QRP2000 for variable VFO... I am sure you can find some info on how to accomplish this in the archives.

        John - ke5ssh

        --
              Best Regards,
                          Chris Wilson.  2E0ILY
        mailto: chris@...

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            softrock40-digest@yahoogroups.com
            softrock40-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        --

        John Williams

        KE5SSH - ham since 2007
        WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

      • Chris Wilson
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 8, 2012

          > From the QRP2000 page - http://sdr-kits.net/QRP2000_Description.html

          > Full Band or Multi Band coverage of Softrock RXTX V6.1 and V6.2
          > transceivers (use Kit 1 CMOS version)

          > Build it and add the QRP2000 for variable VFO... I am sure you can
          > find some info on how to accomplish this in the archives.

          > John - ke5ssh

          > On 11/8/2012 9:11 AM, John Greusel wrote:
          >
          > Chris,

          > We just had the "build it or not" debate a few days ago and I think
          > the consensus was if the narrow bandwidth (of the crystal Softrock)
          > works for you then by all means build it.

          > John
          > KC9OJV

          08/11/2012 16:21

          Just had a quick look at the web site, thanks for that. I couldn't see
          any earlier posts re the V6.1 or 6.2, but only had a quick scan
          through the messages, sorry.

          I have a question. This kit en route to me was advertised as a 160
          meter kit, which is the band I want to have a play with. On the web
          page for the QRP2000 kit I see the following:

          "Frequency Range Kit 1: 3.5 MHz to 210 MHz for Kit 1 (10-160 Mhz
          specified by Silabs) and Kit 2: 3.5 MHz up to 280 MHz (10-280 MHz)
          specified by SiLab for C-grade LVDS device supplied) New!! New!!
          Si570BBB Device up to 945 MHz (810 MHz specified by Silabs)
          available!"

          Does this mean the kit won't work down to 1.8 MHz?

          Thanks!

          --
          Best Regards,
          Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 8, 2012
            Subject: Re: [softrock40] RXTX V6.2 versus V6.3

            > "Frequency Range Kit 1: 3.5 MHz to 210 MHz for Kit 1 (10-160 Mhz
            > specified by Silabs) and Kit 2: 3.5 MHz up to 280 MHz (10-280 MHz)
            > specified by SiLab for C-grade LVDS device supplied) New!! New!!
            > Si570BBB Device up to 945 MHz (810 MHz specified by Silabs)
            > available!"
            >
            > Does this mean the kit won't work down to 1.8 MHz?

            Chris,

            That is the Si570 frequency, not /4 frequency.
            It is probably best to fit the Softrock ATTiny 85 to this kit so you get all the later functions.

            73 Alan G4ZFQ
          • John Williams
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 8, 2012
              Page 21 of the pdf are the interface info. I do not know if the board
              will support the new attny 85, but that would be a good enhancement...

              http://www.sdr-kits.net/V203build.pdf

              John - ke5ssh

              --

              John Williams

              KE5SSH - ham since 2007
              WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm
            • cbayona
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 8, 2012
                It will work fine with the QRP2000 board, version 15.15 has a few
                improvements and corrections..

                At 11:46 AM 11/8/2012, you wrote:
                >Page 21 of the pdf are the interface info. I do not know if the board
                >will support the new attny 85, but that would be a good enhancement...
                >
                >http://www.sdr-kits.net/V203build.pdf
                >
                >John - ke5ssh
                >

                >On 11/8/2012 10:25 AM, Chris Wilson wrote:
                > > Just had a quick look at the web site, thanks for that. I couldn't see
                > > any earlier posts re the V6.1 or 6.2, but only had a quick scan
                > > through the messages, sorry.
                >
                >--
                >
                >John Williams
                >
                >KE5SSH - ham since 2007
                >WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

                --
                Cecil - k5nwa
                http://www.softrockradio.org/ http://thepartsplace.k5nwa.com/

              • Chris Wilson
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 8, 2012

                  > Page 21 of the pdf are the interface info. I do not know if the board
                  > will support the new attny 85, but that would be a good enhancement...

                  > http://www.sdr-kits.net/V203build.pdf

                  > John - ke5ssh

                  Thanks John, page 3 of the pdf says ATTiny 45 or ATTiny 85, so should
                  be OK :) Are there any other major performance differences, once the
                  Xtal control is bypassed, between V6.2 and V6.3? Thanks to you, Alan
                  and cbayona for the info.

                  08/11/2012 21:43

                  --
                  Best Regards,
                  Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 8, 2012

                    page 3 of the pdf says ATTiny 45 or ATTiny 85, so should
                    > be OK :)

                    It really needs to be an 85 with Fred's firmware. He made several significant improvements.

                    >Are there any other major performance differences, once the
                    > Xtal control is bypassed, between V6.2 and V6.3?

                    None, they are all the same as the current Ensemble.

                    73 Alan G4ZFQ
                  • Chris Wilson
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 8, 2012

                      > Subject: Re: [softrock40] RXTX V6.2 versus V6.3

                      > page 3 of the pdf says ATTiny 45 or ATTiny 85, so should
                      >> be OK

                      > It really needs to be an 85 with Fred's firmware. He made several significant improvements.

                      >>Are there any other major performance differences, once the
                      >> Xtal control is bypassed, between V6.2 and V6.3?

                      > None, they are all the same as the current Ensemble.

                      > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                      08/11/2012 22:39

                      Excellent, looking forward to building it. This may be the push I need
                      to try programming the two or three blank ATTiny 85's I got a while
                      back. I'll wait for the V6.2 kit to land and then order the
                      synthesizer kit. These things are addictive! Cheers Alan.

                      --
                      Best Regards,
                      Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY