Up and running on RXTX, wanting to run straight-key

  • wfahle
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2012
      I got my RXTX running and possibly even transmitting (though no one answered back so it is hard to tell). I want to get CW going with a straight key using the paddle input on the softrock itself rather than buy yet another cable/accessory to wire it for the serial card. I have successfully gotten HDSDR running first, so I want to use it if possible. I can't find any place to set up the key at all, iambic or straight key. Can someone point me to a resource? I think I will have better luck making a contact on CW, and that is why I got this rig in the first place.

      I will make another post about my configuration on SSB with a USB soundcard when I get home, for those interested.
    • wfahle
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 7, 2012
        Well no one answered back this post either, is this thing on? Heh. I did figure out how to use the straight key in powersdr if anyone is interested. I am running 2.4.4 with the mod for homemade sdr's, and I cut into a stereo mic cord and set it up so that the closed key shorts the very tip to the other end, and it seems to respond in Powersdr as a dash in iambic mode, then when I uncheck iambic it works. Shorting the center to ground makes a dit in iambic mode, but does nothing in unchecked mode. Still no reply to my CQ though, because I think my antenna is insufficient for transmit. I was unable to reduce the SDR below infinite even with a tuner.

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 7, 2012
          Subject: [softrock40] Re: Up and running on RXTX, wanting to run straight-key

          > Well no one answered back this post either, is this thing on?

          I see lc_hdsdr replied to a HDSDR question recently but as you did not have HDSDR in the subject maybe it was missed. A direct email
          is encouraged on thir web page.
          I do not think CW is fully implemented, maybe I've missed something but it seems to me the only way so far is to connect your key
          across the Return key on the keyboard..

          I've seen a lot on other groups about CW with PSDR, I think there is a lot of information in the links and files section of the
          PSDR-IQ group.
          And I'm sure someone said serial port is best for low delays.

          73 Alan G4ZFQ

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 7, 2012
            Ok thanks. I think I need to download the source for HDSDR and get to work. I'll post any progress made here.