Re: [softrock40] SoftRock vs PeaBerry

  • Scott Zimmerman
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2012
      If I knew then what I know now, I think I would have gone the PeaBerry route. The softrock kit is a
      WONDERFUL kit, easy to assemble and use, but I have found the process of obtaining a good quality
      soundcard to use it as a transceiver to be somewhat daunting. This is ESPECIALLY true when it comes
      to a Laptop PC.

      I have had great success using my softrock with my desktop PC's on-board soundcard line-in jacks.
      However, if I ever desired to use it as a "mobile" type setup with a laptop, I would need to buy an
      outboard USB type soundcard since *most* laptops only have MONO microphone input jacks. USB
      soundcards are a plenty, but USB soundcards that have stereo line-in jacks aren't as inexpensive as
      "normal" MONO microphone input versions.

      The other issue I have with my softrock TXRX is having to use a second sound card in order to
      transmit. I have *tried* a USB sound fob without much success. This could be simplified by using a
      stereo USB soundcard that is a dedicated interface to and from the softrock. Enter the Peaberry
      design concept. The Peaberry has a bult-in soundcard, as such it eliminates BOTH of the above issues.

      On the flip-side: since technology is always advancing, having a "prepackaged" soundcard on board
      *could* have implications in the future. If there is some big development in soundcard thechnology,
      the softrock can instantly benifit from it by simply making a purchase and cabling the radio to the
      new device. The Peaberry owners would be stuck with the technology that was prevalent at design time.

      There you go, that's my list of goods and bads. YMMV.

      Scott

      Scott Zimmerman
      Amateur Radio Call N3XCC
      474 Barnett Road