Re: I think I found my so-called bad chip problem.
- You're not alone. Took me several days of frustrated reworking before finding the etch failure. I felt less charitable than yourself at the time.
--- In firstname.lastname@example.org, William Fahle <billfahle@...> wrote:
> Yes, I wish I had been more patient in trying things before starting
> to unsolder. In particular the solution came from continuity testing
> with the ohms turned up to 200k. This allowed me to see that certain
> circuits were not open, but were in fact 21k, which led to the
> diagnosis. In any case, I learned a lot doing this, so no regrets.
> So far it passes every test; I now discover I need a second soundcard
> to actually use the transmit. Also my primary soundcard is mono in, so
> it is useless as a receiver card, so while I get semi-readable signals
> from a backyard dipole, I'm not 100% sure what the receiver
> performance will be yet, as there are too many variables. A quickly
> thrown-up antenna, a bad soundcard, a new softrock build with problems
> along the way (and no scope to check the output), default calibration,
> all conspire to give me a big screen full of white noise with the
> occasional discernable cw signal, and muddy signals that I can only
> assume are ssb. I'm going to get a USB soundcard for the receiver side
> and use the built-in for transmit and then report back. The built-in
> definitely puts out stereo, so that shouldn't be an issue for