Re: I think I found my so-called bad chip problem.

  • William Fahle
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 5, 2012
      Yes, I wish I had been more patient in trying things before starting
      to unsolder. In particular the solution came from continuity testing
      with the ohms turned up to 200k. This allowed me to see that certain
      circuits were not open, but were in fact 21k, which led to the
      diagnosis. In any case, I learned a lot doing this, so no regrets.

      So far it passes every test; I now discover I need a second soundcard
      to actually use the transmit. Also my primary soundcard is mono in, so
      it is useless as a receiver card, so while I get semi-readable signals
      from a backyard dipole, I'm not 100% sure what the receiver
      performance will be yet, as there are too many variables. A quickly
      thrown-up antenna, a bad soundcard, a new softrock build with problems
      along the way (and no scope to check the output), default calibration,
      all conspire to give me a big screen full of white noise with the
      occasional discernable cw signal, and muddy signals that I can only
      assume are ssb. I'm going to get a USB soundcard for the receiver side
      and use the built-in for transmit and then report back. The built-in
      definitely puts out stereo, so that shouldn't be an issue for
      transmit.
    • pond.james_pond
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 5, 2012
        You're not alone. Took me several days of frustrated reworking before finding the etch failure. I felt less charitable than yourself at the time.