Re: RXTX ensemble Trouble

  • Jaco Le roux
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 5, 2012
      Hi,

      All resistors are checked and is the right values,

      I have the short on the board fixed, but it still doesn't receive, but if I twist the pcb it starts to receive, Now to find where that problem is, I think that it might be one of the Transformers, the only thing I don't know is If I check the continuity of the Transformers all checked out, will remove them and re-solder them.

      Thanks

      Jaco

      > Subject: [softrock40] Re: RXTX ensemble Trouble
      >

      > > I have checked the output to ground on the 5volt regulator with my DMM and got a 10 Ohm reading. I have lifted all the IC's pins
      > > connected to the 5v track and still find it to be 10 ohms, If I select continuity on the DMM it beeps and give reading of 10ohm.
      > >
      > > This might be the problem I have with the 5volt that only measure in at 1.3volt, even the input side of the 5volt where it should
      > > be 12volt I only measure 3.5volt, I think something is shorting but I can't find where.
      > >

      > Jaco,
      >
      > I was wondering if you had used 10 ohms for R61, 62.
      > Your measurements do not quite support that but, maybe...
      > Check these and the connections where they join to T5 and U10. Maybe a short to ground here.
      > Report, I need to think!
      >
      > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

    • Jaco Le roux
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 6, 2012
        Hi Alan,

        All is fine with the resistors, but I have done a test on the IC's.

        USB & 12volt connected

        U11:
        pin1 = 2.63
        pin2 = 2.54
        pin3 = 2.54
        pin4 = 0
        pin5 = 2.54
        pin6 = 2.54
        pin7 = 2.74
        pin8 = 5.05

        U10
        Pin 8 = 0
        Pins 1 and 15 (PTT OFF) = 0
        Pin 2 (from Divider) = 2.5
        Pin 14 (from Divider) = 2.53 (sometimes I measure 5.05 checked for shorts )
        Pin 7 (to OpAmp) Vdc = 2.54
        Pin 9 (to OpAmp) Vdc = 2.54
        Pin 16 (Vdd) Vdc = 5.05
        Pins 1 and 15 (PTT ON) = 5.05

        U6 & U7 ( This is where I found a problem )

        Left IC, Pin 1 Vdc = 0.3
        Left IC, Pin 2 Vdc = 0.3
        Left IC, Pin 3 Vdc = 0.3
        Left IC, Pin 4 Vdc = 0
        Left IC, Pin 5 Vdc = 0.3
        Left IC, Pin 6 Vdc = 0.3
        Left IC, Pin 7 Vdc = 0.3
        Left IC, Pin 8 Vdc = 5.05
        Right IC, Pin 1 Vdc = 0.3
        Right IC, Pin 2 Vdc = 0.3
        Right IC, Pin 3 Vdc = 0.3
        Right IC, Pin 4 Vdc = 0
        Right IC, Pin 5 Vdc = 0.3
        Right IC, Pin 6 Vdc = 0.3
        Right IC, Pin 7 Vdc = 0.3
        Right IC, Pin 8 Vdc = 5.05

        U8 ( Did check for any dry joints just can't find any, re-soldered the board )

        A: Pin 2 Vdc = 2.55
        B: Pin 14 Vdc = 2.50
        C: Pin 7 (R30 hairpin) Vdc = 2.02
        D: Pin 9 (R31 hairpin) Vdc = 2.02
        E: Pin 13 (R25 hairpin) Vdc = (Starts at 2volt then decrease, voltage increase if PCB get's twisted)
        F: Pin 10 (R26 hairpin) Vdc = (Starts at 2volt then decrease, voltage increase if PCB get's twisted)
        G: Pin 12 (R27 hairpin) Vdc = (Starts at 2volt then decrease, voltage increase if PCB get's twisted)
        H: Pin 11 (R28 hairpin) Vdc = (Starts at 2volt then decrease, voltage increase if PCB get's twisted)

        U5

        At U5

        R13 hairpin (wrt regular ground) Vdc = 2.51
        R14 hairpin (wrt regular ground) Vdc = 5.05

        Pin 1 (blue point) Vdc = 5.05
        Pin 2 (yellow point) Vdc = 2.48
        Pin 3 (yellow point) Vdc = 2.52
        Pin 4 (blue point) Vdc = 5.05
        Pin 5 (yellow point) Vdc = 2.5
        Pin 6 (yellow point) Vdc = 2.54 (sometimes 5.05, twist PCB then voltage back to 2.54)
        Pin 7 (regular ground) Vdc = 0
        Pin 8 (yellow point) Vdc = 2.55
        Pin9 (yellow point) Vdc = 2.5
        Pin 10 (blue point) Vdc = 5.05
        Pin 11 (yellow point) Vdc = 2.52
        Pin 12 (yellow point) Vdc = 2.54
        Pin 11 (blue point) Vdc = 5.05
        Pin 14 (blue point) Vdc = 5.05

        Si570

        pin1 = 3.28
        pin2 = 3.28
        pin3 = 0
        pin4 = 1.61
        pin5 = 0.3
        pin6 = 3.29
        pin7 = 3.29
        pin8 = 0.930

        This is it, I hope that there is some good answers for this, I'm tiered of searching for the problem, I would just like to get this thing working.

        I have also changed the 5volt regulator due to some problem it had or got, I have measured it of the PCB and got a 12v output for only a second and then it just go to 0volt.

        Thanks for the help this far.

        73' Jaco de ZS6PX

        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 7, 2012
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 8, 2012
            Hi Alan,

            OMG, Something happened and now I have found that the two FTS3253 IC has blown, I have tested it on board with my DMM and receive a full continuity on the meter so I have removed the two 3253's and tested it again.

            Pins shorting on one of them, pin 8 to pin 14 and the other one pin 8 to pin 14 & 15.

            Now my problem is that there aren't any suppliers locally for this IC's... Darn...

            I think That I will have to order another Kit form Tony and maybe ask him if he could in someway add some extra parts in that one. It is just to expensive to only ship a few parts for the other side.

            Thank you for all the help and hopefully I will get it fix when I receive some new parts...

            73'
            Jaco de ZS6PX

> [...]
            > > D: Pin 9 (R31 hairpin) Vdc = 2.02
            > > E: Pin 13 (R25 hairpin) Vdc = (Starts at 2volt then decrease, voltage increase if PCB get's twisted)
            > > F: Pin 10 (R26 hairpin) Vdc = (Starts at 2volt then decrease, voltage increase if PCB get's twisted)
            > > G: Pin 12 (R27 hairpin) Vdc = (Starts at 2volt then decrease, voltage increase if PCB get's twisted)
            > > H: Pin 11 (R28 hairpin) Vdc = (Starts at 2volt then decrease, voltage increase if PCB get's twisted)
            > >
            > > U5
            > >
            > > At U5
            > >
            > > R13 hairpin (wrt regular ground) Vdc = 2.51
            > > R14 hairpin (wrt regular ground) Vdc = 5.05
            > >
            > > Pin 1 (blue point) Vdc = 5.05
            > > Pin 2 (yellow point) Vdc = 2.48
            > > Pin 3 (yellow point) Vdc = 2.52
            > > Pin 4 (blue point) Vdc = 5.05
            > > Pin 5 (yellow point) Vdc = 2.5
            > > Pin 6 (yellow point) Vdc = 2.54 (sometimes 5.05, twist PCB then voltage back to 2.54)

          • cbayona.cb
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 8, 2012
              <
              http://www.thepartsplace.k5nwa.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=56

              Small store but I carry that part.

              At 04:09 AM 11/8/2012, you wrote:
              >Hi Alan,
              >
              >OMG, Something happened and now I have found that the two FTS3253 IC
              >has blown, I have tested it on board with my DMM and receive a full
              >continuity on the meter so I have removed the two 3253's and tested it again.
              >
              >Pins shorting on one of them, pin 8 to pin 14 and the other one pin
              >8 to pin 14 & 15.
              >
              >Now my problem is that there aren't any suppliers locally for this
              >IC's... Darn...
              >
              >I think That I will have to order another Kit form Tony and maybe
              >ask him if he could in someway add some extra parts in that one. It
              >is just to expensive to only ship a few parts for the other side.
              >
              >Thank you for all the help and hopefully I will get it fix when I
              >receive some new parts...
              >
              >73'
              >Jaco de ZS6PX
              >
              >SNIP