Re: [softrock40] Ensemble II

  • John Greusel
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 4, 2012
      Tim,
      I didn't mean to disparage the early versions- they stood tall as the seminal efforts of (at that time) virtually unknown technology and gave us a glimpse at what was to come. I was trying to say that investing the effort required to build and debug a Softrock transceiver points towards the consideration of buying and building the newer models. If you want to build a 6.2 just for fun (as I did) go right ahead but many have scarce time to spend on building and the utility difference between a crystal based model and a frequency agile one is pretty big.

      John
      KC9OJV

      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 4, 2012

        >, the 6.1 and 6.2 work fine, accepting the limited band
        > coverage.

        Yes, there is no problem, they are almost exactly the same circuitry as the Ensemble.
        A crystal with the right frequency may be ideal for data modes. The signal purity may be better than an Si570, no worse .
        A Si570 may be added using a SDRKits generator, preferably fitting a Softrock-programmed ATTiny85 rather than the one supplied.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • G0ORH
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 14, 2013
          Hi guys
          A quick question!
          Is anyone running the softRock RX ensemble II 10 - 160m kit, work as a panadapter with the K3 IF, if so, what mods if any are required in setting it up!!

          Cheers

          Ken G0ORH
        • Chris Wilson
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 14, 2013

            > Hi guys
            > A quick question!
            > Is anyone running the softRock RX ensemble II 10 - 160m kit, work
            > as a panadapter with the K3 IF, if so, what mods if any are required in setting it up!!

            > Cheers

            > Ken G0ORH

            14/08/2013 15:30

            I believe there's a whole, detailed, article on the web about this
            combination and how to set it up, I think I read it when looking at
            using a panadaptor with a Kenwood TS-590 If I can find it I'll post
            here or mail the link. Good luck.

            --
            Best Regards,
            Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 14, 2013
              Hi Chris
              Did a search but couldn't find anything on it.

              Would be great if something shows up though.

              Cheers

              Ken...G0ORH

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Chris Wilson <chris@...> wrote:

              > > Hi guys
              > > A quick question!
              > > Is anyone running the softRock RX ensemble II 10 - 160m kit, work
              > > as a panadapter with the K3 IF, if so, what mods if any are required in setting it up!!
              >
              > > Cheers
              >
              > > Ken G0ORH
              >

              > 14/08/2013 15:30
              >

              > I believe there's a whole, detailed, article on the web about this
              > combination and how to set it up, I think I read it when looking at
              > using a panadaptor with a Kenwood TS-590 If I can find it I'll post
              > here or mail the link. Good luck.
              >

              > --
              > Best Regards,
              > Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY

            • KQ8M
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 14, 2013

                Chris and Ken,

                What you need is the IF board in the K3. Feed this output in to the Ensemble and tune the ensemble to the IF frequency which is in the 8MHz range. I am writing this off the top of my head but it is that easy. The Software such as HDSDR can connect to the rig and control it.

                73,

                Tim Herrick, KQ8M

                Charter Member North Coast Contesters

                kq8m@...

                AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 14, 2013
                  Subject: [softrock40] Ensemble II

                  > Is anyone running the softRock RX ensemble II 10 - 160m kit, work as a panadapter with the K3 IF, if so, what mods if any are
                  > required in setting it up!!

                  Ken,

                  This way for IF <https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/hdsdr-if-pano>

                  This way, with some sort of switching or RX antenna connection, for parallel
                  <https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/installing-and-using-hdsdr#Use%20HDSDR%20with%20an%20Ensemble>

                  Probably best to get a LIte, the Ensemble could be modified to remove the need for USB.