SoftRock TxRx Beta Inductor Problem

  • tom_iphi
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2006
      Hi Tony,

      thanks again for the very fine RxTx kit which arrived this morning here
      in DL.
      I just started to assemble my way thru: build a little, test a little...
      I got the crystal oscillator and the dividers running all right. On my
      way to finalize the Rx I got stuck with T3. I have a bag with 3
      different sized toroid cores on my desk (4 little ones, 4 medium ones
      and a big one which probably goes to the PA). Maybe I'm stupid, but
      from the builders notes I couldn't figure out which coil goes on which
      core size (except for the binoculars).
      There is that very nice table on page 3 of the builder's notes which
      displays the inductors with wire length and number of turns. I propose
      that you add the core type for each coil to this table. This would make
      things a lot clearer.

      Would you please give me a hint on the cores so I can continue
      assembling? Thanks!

      One more thing: I assume #30 wire is thicker than #26 wire!? This
      numbering system isn't used in DL. Here wires are specified by diameter.

      Thanks again and 73, Tom DG8SAQ
    • Guido
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 2006
        Hello Tom,

        Tonight, while winding some cores I had exactly the same questions as yours because I am also unfamiliar with AWG# notation. But I found that it is the opposite what you would expect! The #26 wire is the thick one (0,405mm in diameter) and #30 is the thin one (0,255mm in diameter).
        The T25-2 cores are the smallest ones (6,5mm in outer diameter), the T30-2 the bigger ones (7,8mm in outer diameter), if I am correct.

        Happy building, and see you soon on 40m! hi
        73, Guido PE1NNZ

        On 11/3/06, tom_iphi <iphi@...> wrote:
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:softrock40-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto: softrock40-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • FRANCIS CARCIA
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 3, 2006
          Tom in Amerika wire size is smaller as the numbers increase. 200 amp service lead 0000

          tom_iphi <iphi@...> wrote:
[...]

        • W0UN -- John Brosnahan
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 3, 2006
            The core numbers reflect the outside diameter in INCHES and then the
            core MATERIAL.

            T25-6 has an outside diameter of 0.25 inches and a material of type 6.

            T25-6 is 0.25 OD and multiplied by 25.4 you get 6.35 mm OD and a
            permeability of 8.

            But you need the chart to determine permeability.

            --John W0UN
          • Alberto I2PHD
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 3, 2006

              73  Alberto  I2PHD

            • tom_iphi
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 3, 2006
                Hello Alberto,

                whatever image you attached, it's gone. You have to store it in "Files".

                Hello everybody,

                thank you all for the info! The wire nomenclature is clear now.
                Also, I found that I missed to look at the BOM. There, the core
                materials are listed. And thanks to your explanations I know which is
                which.

                Hope to meet you "on the air" soon,

                73, Tom DG8SAQ
              • Alberto I2PHD
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 4, 2006
                  tom_iphi wrote:
                  > Hello Alberto,
                  >
                  > whatever image you attached, it's gone. You have to store it in "Files".

                  Hi Tom,

                  I don't understand why. I saw others that made HTML posts that were accepted... so cannot understand why a message
                  with an embedded figure should not pass through.
                  Anyway, I have upload in the Files section, under the I2PHD folder, the file AWG.GIF, which is a correspondence table
                  between the AWG scale and the metric system.

                  73 Alberto I2PHD
                • tom_iphi
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 4, 2006
                    Salve Alberto,

                    I found your file, thanks!
                    In the meantime my Rx is running fine. Just checking the Tx mixer.
                    Looks good so far. BALUNs are working.

                    73, Tom DG8SAQ