RE: [softrock40] Announcement & request: aetherSDR software for testing purposes

  • Anthony Casorso
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2012
      I tried but I got lost with the install of the the third package for PythonGL. The directions look like they are given for a unix command line. I'd love to try it out but I can;t get through the series of installations and setups needed to do so. No offense intended but the setup process seems rather involved.

      Tony

      To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
      From: colin.irwin@...
      Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 01:13:02 +0000
      Subject: [softrock40] Announcement & request: aetherSDR software for testing purposes

      Hi,
      I've been developing the aetherSDR software application for some time now and would like to announce the initial release and request some help from devoted individuals in regards to testing it.

      Specifically here are the take away points in regard to the software:
      • I have a website/blog setup at www.aethersdr.org with all the latest information being there
      • The software works very well with the latest generation SoftRock receiver hardware (RX Ensemble II) - at least for me(!)
      • Core computational functionality is implemented in C++ while the application radio/processing configuration is in Python
      • The intent was for this design to allow for quick and easy application development while still being able to process signals in real-time.
      • The software is open source released under the GNU General Public Licence v2
      • Currently it is for Windows platforms only.  The Linux build works OK, but there are a couple of bugs preventing the SDR application from running as it should.  (There are numerous tutorials available and these all work OK under Linux.)
      And so to my request... I could really do with some help in testing the software. There are two elements here:
      1. I would really love for other people to use the software. I've been working on this for years in my spare time and it's finally close enough to being ready to go that I feel I should make it available.
      2. Having the software actually run as "advertised" is important and so independent testing is important. I'd love to have access to different computers and operating systems, but I don't. So I'd like to ask nicely for a couple of individuals to try the software out.
      So - you can find the software and all information that I've published on the website http://www.aethersdr.org . I maintain the source code repository in BitBucket at https://bitbucket.org/colin_irwin/aethersdr. And if you're interested in trying the software out, don't hesitate to contact me on my Yahoo email address or alternatively colin@....

      Thanks in advance.

      Colin

    • Colin Irwin
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 4, 2012
        Hi Tony,
        Thanks for trying and apologies for it not being easier. I should better explain in the documentation / on the website that the current release is for someone who has a python development system set up, etc.

        I've been working on a all-in-one package and I should have it ready in the next day or so. As is not unusual, there have been a couple of slight hitches along the way... (This should be much simpler to use - unzip the package and run the executable; that's it.)

        I'll send a further post once this is ready. Thanks again.

        Colin

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Casorso <canthony15@...> wrote:

        > I tried but I got lost with the install of the the third package for PythonGL. The directions look like they are given for a unix command line. I'd love to try it out but I can;t get through the series of installations and setups needed to do so. No offense intended but the setup process seems rather involved.
        > Tony
        >

        > To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
        > From: colin.irwin@...
        > Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 01:13:02 +0000
        > Subject: [softrock40] Announcement & request: aetherSDR software for testing purposes

        > Hi,I've been developing the aetherSDR software application for some time now and would like to announce the initial release and request some help from devoted individuals in regards to testing it.
        > Specifically here are the take away points in regard to the software:I have a website/blog setup at www.aethersdr.org with all the latest information being thereThe software works very well with the latest generation SoftRock receiver hardware (RX Ensemble II) - at least for me(!)Core computational functionality is implemented in C++ while the application radio/processing configuration is in PythonThe intent was for this design to allow for quick and easy application development while still being able to process signals in real-time.The software is open source released under the GNU General Public Licence v2Currently it is for Windows platforms only. The Linux build works OK, but there are a couple of bugs preventing the SDR application from running as it should. (There are numerous tutorials available and these all work OK under Linux.)And so to my request... I could really do with some help in testing the software. There are two elements here:I would really love for other people to use the software. I've been working on this for years in my spare time and it's finally close enough to being ready to go that I feel I should make it available.Having the software actually run as "advertised" is important and so independent testing is important. I'd love to have access to different computers and operating systems, but I don't. So I'd like to ask nicely for a couple of individuals to try the software out.So - you can find the software and all information that I've published on the website http://www.aethersdr.org . I maintain the source code repository in BitBucket at https://bitbucket.org/colin_irwin/aethersdr. And if you're interested in trying the software out, don't hesitate to contact me on my Yahoo email address or alternatively colin@...
        > Thanks in advance.
        > Colin

      • R. R. (Robby) Robson
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 4, 2012
          My first take away from the website was that the documentation was for the programmers among us, there being nothing I could find that addressed how to actually RUN the software and use it (I know, SMOP - Simply a matter of Programming).

          --
          Cheers,
          Robby

          Richard R. (Robby) Robson
          LTC USA (RET)

        • Colin Irwin
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 6, 2012
            Hi Tony,
            I've sorted out the problems with regard to creating a ready-to-run package, as detailed in the blog post: http://aethersdr.org/node/83

            If you're still interested, then I'd be most interested in your feedback. Hopefully the step-by-step instructions help in you installing the software. Unfortunately there is still a DOS command step to generate the FFTW data file, but a different, more friendly solution will take me just a little more time to sort out.

            I've tested what I describe and it should work for you.

            Looking forward to receiving your (and anyone else's!) comments.