Peaberry troubleshooting

  • Ricardo Caratti
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2012
      I have just concluded the receiver stage of my Peaberry Kit (Step 20).
      It is working. But I've noticed some strange behavior

      The Peaberry Audio device is working  with distortion (Just the right channel. The left channel is ok);
      C1 and C2 (electrolytic capacitor 47µF) get hot.
      The Si570 get very hot.

      The current  draw  is 132 mA without USB connected to the computer;
      The current draw is 174 mA with USB connected to the computer;
      Are these values ​acceptable?

      I could tuned some station but I was not in a good condition (antenna and propagation) to reach any conclusion.

      I would like some tips or details about Peaberry troubleshooting.

      73,
      PU2CLR.
      Ricardo.

    • warrenallgyer
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 4, 2012
        Hi Ricardo

        The current draw sounds about right. The only way C1 and C2 get hot is to draw current and they only do that if they are installed backward. Take a look and make sure they are oriented properly.

        If you can take a picture and send it to me privately I will do a side by side with mine. David did this for me in my initial build and it helped a lot. A second pair of eyes is often invaluable.

        Keep going.... you will get there

        Warren Allgyer - WA8TOD

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Ricardo Caratti <pu2clr@...> wrote:
        > C1 and C2 (electrolytic capacitor 47µF) get hot.
        > The Si570 get very hot.
        >

        > 73,
        > PU2CLR.
        > Ricardo.

      • Dave Watson
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 4, 2012

          If you want to reference some high resolution pictures of a working Peaberry in the assembly stages I have these available:

          AE9RB Peaberry V1 - 00 - Arrival

          AE9RB Peaberry V1 - 02 - Project Schematic

          AE9RB Peaberry V1 - 03 - Bypass capacitors

          AE9RB Peaberry V1 - 04 - Power Supply Stage

          AE9RB Peaberry V1 - 05 - Microphone

          AE9RB Peaberry V1 - 06 - Jacks

          AE9RB Peaberry V1 - 07 - Cypress PSoC

          AE9RB Peaberry V1 - 08 - Si570 DelSig and Quad OpAmp

          AE9RB Peaberry V1 - 09 - Receiver

          AE9RB Peaberry V1 - 10 - Transmitter

          Dave (W4DJW)

          The current draw sounds about right. The only way C1 and C2 get hot is to draw current and they only do that if they are installed backward. Take a look and make sure they are oriented properly.

          If you can take a picture and send it to me privately I will do a side by side with mine. David did this for me in my initial build and it helped a lot. A second pair of eyes is often invaluable.

          Keep going.... you will get there

          Warren Allgyer - WA8TOD

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Ricardo Caratti <pu2clr@...> wrote:

          > C1 and C2 (electrolytic capacitor 47µF) get hot.
          > The Si570 get very hot.
          >

          > 73,
          > PU2CLR.
          > Ricardo.

        • Ricardo Caratti
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 4, 2012
            Ok Dave.
            The high resolution pictures are nice.
            Surely they will help me.

            I think that more explanatory text in the assembly instructions would be better.
            But that is ok.
            Today I concluded mounting.
            The receiver is working well.  I have tested it on MAC OSX with DSP Radio and Windows 7 with HDSDR.
            I notice a little distortion on right channel of Peaberry Audio device in both systems operators and I have no idea how to solve this problem.
            The left channel is working very nice.

            Anyway thanks for your attention.

            73,
            PU2CLR.
            Ricardo.

            The current draw sounds about right. The only way C1 and C2 get hot is to draw current and they only do that if they are installed backward. Take a look and make sure they are oriented properly.

            If you can take a picture and send it to me privately I will do a side by side with mine. David did this for me in my initial build and it helped a lot. A second pair of eyes is often invaluable.

            Keep going.... you will get there

            Warren Allgyer - WA8TOD

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Ricardo Caratti <pu2clr@...> wrote:
            > C1 and C2 (electrolytic capacitor 47µF) get hot.
            > The Si570 get very hot.
            >

            > 73,
            > PU2CLR.
            > Ricardo.

          • Ricardo Caratti
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 4, 2012
              Hi Warren,
              They are installed properly.
              Good to know that current draw sounds right.

              Well, I'll do more tests tonight.

              Thanks.
              73.
              PU2CLR.
              Ricardo.

              De: warrenallgyer <allgyer@...>
              Para: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
              Enviadas: Domingo, 4 de Novembro de 2012 11:45
              Assunto: [softrock40] Re: Peaberry troubleshooting

              Hi Ricardo

              The current draw sounds about right. The only way C1 and C2 get hot is to draw current and they only do that if they are installed backward. Take a look and make sure they are oriented properly.

              If you can take a picture and send it to me privately I will do a side by side with mine. David did this for me in my initial build and it helped a lot. A second pair of eyes is often invaluable.

              Keep going.... you will get there

              Warren Allgyer - WA8TOD

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Ricardo Caratti <pu2clr@...> wrote:
              > C1 and C2 (electrolytic capacitor 47µF) get hot.
              > The Si570 get very hot.
              >

              > 73,
              > PU2CLR.
              > Ricardo.

            • Ricardo Caratti
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 4, 2012
                Hi Dave and Warren

                I tested my Peaberry SDR Kit mounting this night.
                I extended a dipole antenna for 40 meters near to the ground (bad condition).
                The receiver is really very good.
                I could tuned a lot off 40 meters station.
                For the first time I could hear station on 80 meters here in my place.

                But I think something is wrong with the transmitter.
                The HDSDR software shows something suggesting it is transmitting, but the audio is very fuzzy and there is no signal on my FT-817ND.

                I have no idea how to debug this problem.

                I posted two videos showing the receiver working on MacBook Pro and Windows 7 on Youtube.

                MacBook Pro: http://youtu.be/SQTVc4Ch51I
                WIndows 7: http://youtu.be/Doac67e1Kvk

                73,
                PU2CLR.
                Ricardo.

              • wfahle
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 5, 2012
                  Thanks! Those will be very helpful.

                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Watson" <davewatson@...> wrote:

                  > If you want to reference some high resolution pictures of a working Peaberry
                  > in the assembly stages I have these available:
                  >

                  > AE9RB <https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.380083455400836&type=1>
                  > Peaberry V1 - 00 - Arrival
                  >

                  > AE9RB <https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.380083782067470&type=1>
                  > Peaberry V1 - 02 - Project Schematic
                  >

                  > AE9RB <https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.380083948734120&type=1>
                  > Peaberry V1 - 03 - Bypass capacitors
                  >

                  > AE9RB <https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.380084478734067&type=1>
                  > Peaberry V1 - 04 - Power Supply Stage
                  >

                  > AE9RB <https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.380084842067364&type=1>
                  > Peaberry V1 - 05 - Microphone
                  >

                  > AE9RB <https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.380085372067311&type=1>
                  > Peaberry V1 - 06 - Jacks
                  >

                  > AE9RB <https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.380085762067272&type=1>
                  > Peaberry V1 - 07 - Cypress PSoC
                  >

                  > AE9RB <https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.380086752067173&type=1>
                  > Peaberry V1 - 08 - Si570 DelSig and Quad OpAmp
                  >

                  > AE9RB <https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.380088922066956&type=1>
                  > Peaberry V1 - 09 - Receiver
                  >

                  > AE9RB <https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.380090908733424&type=1>
                  > Peaberry V1 - 10 - Transmitter
                  >

                  > Dave (W4DJW)

                • Dave Watson
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 5, 2012

                    Just as a test, flip your 817 to the opposite mode (LSB -> USB) and see if the signal gets clear and loud. If so, you have the same problem I have.

                    Dave (W4DJW)