Ensemble RXTX - no RF from SI570

  • pauldebono@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 3, 2012
      I am building the Ensemble RXTX, and has just finished the Local oscillator section. The power supplies are good.

      The software is responding ok.
      ABPF filter off
      P1/PTT is responding on screen, to PTT button (repeat ticked)
      The Test VFO frequency tuning on screen , varies at x4
      But no RF is coming out of the SI570
      I am taking the output from C3. R13 & R14 are not yet installed.

      The builders notes say "Measure the outputs at the points indicated as "LO Out" and "/PTT. I cannot see these points on my pcb(version 5/24/10) ! Do I have to activate the PTT circuit, or something else on the pcb ?

      It is not the first time that I had soldered an SI570 and it never failed !

      How can I test if I have controlling signals from ATTiny85 at SDA & SCL ??
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 2012
        Subject: [softrock40] Ensemble RXTX - no RF from SI570

        Have you measured the voltages on the pins of the Si570?
        Does the CFGSR "Test" tab show all values with no error message when you click "Get"?

        With no U1 fitted the Si570 should output 56.32MHz, can you test for that at C76? How do you test?

        This frequency should be present. It does not need any data to start it.
        It needs a good scope to see the sharp control pulses but this will not be your problem.

        batch referred was even earlier.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ

        >I am building the Ensemble RXTX, and has just finished the Local oscillator section. The power supplies are good.
        >
        > The software is responding ok.
        > ABPF filter off
        > P1/PTT is responding on screen, to PTT button (repeat ticked)
        > The Test VFO frequency tuning on screen , varies at x4
        > But no RF is coming out of the SI570
        > I am taking the output from C3. R13 & R14 are not yet installed.
        >
        > The builders notes say "Measure the outputs at the points indicated as "LO Out" and "/PTT. I cannot see these points on my
        > pcb(version 5/24/10) ! Do I have to activate the PTT circuit, or something else on the pcb ?
        >
        > It is not the first time that I had soldered an SI570 and it never failed !
        >
        > How can I test if I have controlling signals from ATTiny85 at SDA & SCL ??

      • Malti
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 4, 2012
          Alan,
          Thanks.

          Must say, I hurried a bit to see the rf coming out !
          As, my test equipment is in another room, I made a quick test, by inputting a 26 Mhz signal to get into the fm broadcast band (x4), and this failed.

          I have noticed that the voltage on pin 1 of the opto toggles between 1.7 and 0 volts when clicking PTT on screen.

          So, I will be doing a proper test with my frequency meter & scope, later today.
          Voltages on all psu chips  are correct, so are the parameters on the CFGSR

          The SI570 has been soldered with the thinnest solder around. Never had any blobs, shorts, and excessive solder etc. I must have soldered five of them on other projects, and they never failed, right from the first time.

          Paul

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 4, 2012
            Alan,

            Good day

            I have found the culprit.

            I was getting different voltages for different ground points on pin 6 of the SI570, 3.3v on one ground point , and 0.95 volts on others. I did not get complete continuity at variuos gound points- pin 4 on J1 pin 2 on U2 and pin 3 on u3

            Another touch with the soldering iron, cleared the problem

            Thanks for your help

            Paul
            9H1FQ