Ensemble RxTx: Low Power output

  • dg3sbm
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2012
      Hi -
      I have a problem here with my Ensemble which already took me hours...
      RX works perfect, but TX output voltage is only about 7V peak to peak (should be 20V).

      - Input from the soundcard is 2V p2p
      - TX OpAmps also give 2V p2p
      - TX Mixer Pins 7 and 9: 1V p2p
      - T2 secondary 1.2V p2p
      - Voltages at Q6, Q7, Q8 seem to be ok (as I consider).

      I suppose the problem to be somewhere between U8 and the driver section.

      Glad to get some help - I built that rig in march...

      Thank you,
      Markus, DG3SBM
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2012
        Subject: [softrock40] Ensemble RxTx: Low Power output

        >TX output voltage is only about 7V peak to peak (should be 20V).
        >
        > - Input from the soundcard is 2V p2p
        > - TX OpAmps also give 2V p2p
        > - TX Mixer Pins 7 and 9: 1V p2p
        > - T2 secondary 1.2V p2p
        > - Voltages at Q6, Q7, Q8 seem to be ok (as I consider).
        >
        > I suppose the problem to be somewhere between U8 and the driver section.

        Markus,

        The figures you give are much higher than mine here <http://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/levels-measured-in-a-softrock-tx>
        except for the output. Note this is not an Ensemble but a 6.1 with identical circuitry.
        But you give no readings after T2?
        Where does it drop?
        For what bands is it built?

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • dg3sbm
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 7, 2012
          Alan -
          thank you, first.
          The kit is built for 15/12/10m.
          Using your link and setting the soundcard up your way I measured the following levels (all peak to peak):

          - end of T2 Primary 0V4
          - T2 secondary 0V4
          - Junction of L1 and C21 0V4
          - Q6 Emitter and Base 0V4
          - Collector Q6 1V2
          - T3 primary 1V2
          - T3 secondary each end 0V9
          - T4 primary each end 0V9
          - T4 secondary 4V8

          TU and 73 de Markus, dg3sbm

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 8, 2012
            Subject: [softrock40] Re: Ensemble RxTx: Low Power output

            > The kit is built for 15/12/10m.

            Markus,

            My figures were taken at 80m frequencies so will not compare too well with your band selection.

            > Using your link and setting the soundcard up your way I measured the following levels (all peak to peak):
            >
            > - end of T2 Primary 0V4
            > - T2 secondary 0V4
            > - Junction of L1 and C21 0V4
            > - Q6 Emitter and Base 0V4
            > - Collector Q6 1V2
            > - T3 primary 1V2
            > - T3 secondary each end 0V9
            > - T4 primary each end 0V9
            > - T4 secondary 4V8

            Yes, Q6 and Q7/8 do seem to be working.

            > I suppose the problem to be somewhere between U8 and the driver section.

            If the two different ranges can be compared, yes. My figures show a voltage increase after L1/C2 but will 10m be the same?
            Later... I have checked my 6.3 and put my findings for 10m on my page.
            <http://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/levels-measured-in-a-softrock-tx> I do see higher readings after L1/C2.
            But do not expect too much on 10m.

            73 Alan G4ZFQ
          • dg3sbm
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 8, 2012
              Alan -
              here todays measuements using your page update:
              Playing around I tuned to 14 MHz (instead 21 MHz). The figures are:

              - Ends of T2 primary 0V7 (!) the "right" level
              - T2 secondary 1V0 (0V4 on 21 MHz)
              - Junction L1, C21 0V7
              - Q6 Emitter and Base 0V25

              Could there be a problem with T2?
              Glad for any idea -

              TU and 73 de Markus, dg3sbm

              > > The kit is built for 15/12/10m.
              >
              > Markus,
              >
              > My figures were taken at 80m frequencies so will not compare too well with your band selection.
              >
              > > Using your link and setting the soundcard up your way I measured the following levels (all peak to peak):
              > >
              > > - end of T2 Primary 0V4
              > > - T2 secondary 0V4
              > > - Junction of L1 and C21 0V4
              > > - Q6 Emitter and Base 0V4
              > > - Collector Q6 1V2
              > > - T3 primary 1V2
              > > - T3 secondary each end 0V9
              > > - T4 primary each end 0V9
              > > - T4 secondary 4V8
              >
              > Yes, Q6 and Q7/8 do seem to be working.
              >
              > > I suppose the problem to be somewhere between U8 and the driver section.
              >
              > If the two different ranges can be compared, yes. My figures show a voltage increase after L1/C2 but will 10m be the same?
              > Later... I have checked my 6.3 and put my findings for 10m on my page.
              > <http://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/levels-measured-in-a-softrock-tx> I do see higher readings after L1/C2.
              > But do not expect too much on 10m.
              >
              > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

            • dg3sbm
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 31, 2013
                Hi -
                the problem seems to be solved.
                Really (!) scratch the wires of the transformers (here: T4) carefully (!)

                Markus, dg3sbm