Builting the RX Ensemble II

  • Tony Parks
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2012
      Good Afternoon All,

      This morning after breakfast I started the build of another HF version of the RX Ensemble II receiver. All activities of building the receiver were involved, including winding the inductors and transformers. Prior to lunch a freshly built HF RX Ensemble II receiver was pulling in DX CW signals on the low end of 15m.

      With the latest build of an RX Ensemble II receiver, I have now built 76 of the little SDR receivers since around mid-August. I continue to have fun building the receivers and hope that those buying the built units also are having fun with them.

      My experience has been that care in getting parts in the right locations and careful soldering results in a receiver playing properly with first application of DC power. A lot of problems can be avoided by carefully checking parts placement and soldering!

      I continue to think the RX Ensemble II kit would be a good kit for a club build during the winter season. I feel RX Ensemble II receivers could be built in a club project within for or five evenings. FiveDash would be willing to give a discount on a club purchase of RX Ensemble II receiver kits if any are interested in such a club project.

      Thanks for your interest in the kits and I always hope that people are having fun with the kits and find the resulting receivers and transceiver useful.

      Thanks and 73,
      Tony KB9YIG
    • Tom Hoflich
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2012
        I have not seen it mentioned here but they are building the RXTX in Ham Nation. Good building tips

        Twit.tv/hn

        73, Tom

        Sent from my iPhone 5

[...]

      • wb5rvz
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 17, 2012
          So far, George Thomas, W5JDX, has gone through the following episodes:
          (1) Episode 70 (at about 36:30 into the video) - Stages 1 and 2
          (2) Episode 71 (at about 37:00 into the video) - Stage 3
          (3) Episode 73 (at about 39:53 into the video) - Stage 4

          In each of these stages George has used the solderpaste/embossing gun method of installing the SMT components. Did a real nice job with that little 3.3V regulator in the USB Power Supply. The episodes are very well done.

          I am looking forward to the next one where he decides to try using the soldering iron method on the SMT components. George has said he wants to complete the build by Christmas.

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tom Hoflich <km5h@...> wrote:

          > I have not seen it mentioned here but they are building the RXTX in Ham Nation. Good building tips
          >
          > Twit.tv/hn
          >
          > 73, Tom
          >
          > Sent from my iPhone 5
          >

          > On Nov 2, 2012, at 12:03 PM, "Tony Parks" <kb9yig@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Good Afternoon All,
          > >
          > > This morning after breakfast I started the build of another HF version of the RX Ensemble II receiver. All activities of building the receiver were involved, including winding the inductors and transformers. Prior to lunch a freshly built HF RX Ensemble II receiver was pulling in DX CW signals on the low end of 15m.
          > >
          > > With the latest build of an RX Ensemble II receiver, I have now built 76 of the little SDR receivers since around mid-August. I continue to have fun building the receivers and hope that those buying the built units also are having fun with them.
          > >
          > > My experience has been that care in getting parts in the right locations and careful soldering results in a receiver playing properly with first application of DC power. A lot of problems can be avoided by carefully checking parts placement and soldering!
          > >
          > > I continue to think the RX Ensemble II kit would be a good kit for a club build during the winter season. I feel RX Ensemble II receivers could be built in a club project within for or five evenings. FiveDash would be willing to give a discount on a club purchase of RX Ensemble II receiver kits if any are interested in such a club project.
          > >
          > > Thanks for your interest in the kits and I always hope that people are having fun with the kits and find the resulting receivers and transceiver useful.
          > >
          > > Thanks and 73,
          > > Tony KB9YIG

        • wb5rvz
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 17, 2012
            Oh, yes, the Episodes are found starting at:
            http://twit.tv/show/ham-nation/70