Connections to Creative X-Fi USB 5.1

  • Patrick Hall
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2012
      I just bought a used Creative X-Fi USB 5.1 sound card off eBay.  It came with a USB cable but not any others (I guess even new ones don't either, except a stereo RCA-1/8 adapter).  Before I buy cables, I want to make sure I understand what on the sound card connects to what on my Ensemble RXTX.

      Let me see if I have this visualized correctly:

      Connect the sound card to a PC USB port
      Connect the radio's RX jack to the sound card's 'line in' jack
      Connect the radio's TX jack to the 'rear' jack on the sound card
      Connect the headphones to the sound card's headphone jack
      Connect speakers to the sound card's Left/Right RCA jacks (using the adapter the guy didn't send me)
      Optionally, connect a microphone for SSB to the sound card's 'mic' jack.

      Do I have this all right?

      Thanks,
      Patrick
      KF7UJM
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2012
        Subject: [softrock40] Connections to Creative X-Fi USB 5.1

        > I want to make sure I understand what on the sound card connects to what on my Ensemble RXTX.

        >Connect the sound card to a PC USB port
        Connect the radio's RX jack to the sound card's 'line in' jack
        Connect the radio's TX jack to the 'rear' jack on the sound card

        Patrick,

        So far so good. But for speech TX/RX with a Softrock you need 2 sound systems. Or for digital if you want to hear the signal.
        Often the connections below go to the computer's on-board system.
        The actual labelling of inputs and outputs differs between cards as do the options and mixer settings.

        >Connect the headphones to the sound card's headphone jack
        >Connect speakers to the sound card's Left/Right RCA jacks (using the adapter the guy didn't send me)

        These extra outputs are for surround sound, cards need to be setup for 2 speakers. These are not used.