Re: [softrock40] Ensemble II

  • junius fox
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 1, 2012

      Oddly enough John, I happen to have the RXTX kit I  purchased many moons ago.  I think I bought it when it first came out.  Have there been many changes since???

      Junius
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 1, 2012
        Junius,

        Really no change except to cross the transformer wires- per a recent discovery. I believe Robby has incorporated that change into the build notes. It's so much fun to tell people you're speaking to them on a home built transceiver. Digital modes are also fun with the RXTX. It really remarkable how well it works.

        John
        KC9OJV

        Oddly enough John, I happen to have the RXTX kit I  purchased many moons ago.  I think I bought it when it first came out.  Have there been many changes since???

        Junius

        After much confusion regarding my testing of the Ensemble II,  Alan pointed something out to me about a voltage measurement problem.  I revisited the point where I didn't get the voltage expected.  I took a close look at the value of t he resisteer I had in the slot.  It was anything but whaqt it shouold have been e.g. 10k.  I have scads of those, so I replaced the culprit, and not I have a great working Ensemble II.
            I want to thank everyone who offered their help.  It is a great forum.

        Junius W5HIR

        =======
        http://www.pctools.com/?cclick=EmailFooterClean_51
        =======

      • John Greusel
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 1, 2012
          Junius,

          I may have falsely assumed you were talking about the Ensemble RXTX not the 6.3, 6.2, 6.1. The earliest versions were rockbound. If you have a crystal instead of an SI570 then you'll want to buy a new kit.

          John
          KC9OJV

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 4, 2012

            John, With all of the comments regarding the RXTX, it was natural to assume I have one.  I was referring to the ensemble II.  However, I do have one of the earliest RXTX kits that I have yet to assemble.  I am wondering if the earlier kit has the problem of the recent ones??

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 4, 2012
              Junius,

              If by problem you mean the reversing of the ground connection on the transformer (really no big deal) then no. Those earlier models were wired correctly. However they are crystal based (or at least the 6.1 and 6.2 were) and had too much harmonic output and are considered undesirable for any practical transmitting. Additionally they have no frequency agility so you're stuck with 48 khz or 96 khz bandwidth depending on soundcard and also you're stuck with whatever portion of the band that comes with the crystal Tony sent. I wouldn't bother building a 6.1 or a 6.2- too limited. On the other hand a 6.3 was the precursor to the Ensemble RXTX and is a quite good unit. It can be used on all the bands by changing the PA/Bandpass board which are interchangable. The problem is that Tony doesn't sell the PA kits anymore so you can buy the additional sets for the other bands. You can however incorporate the  6.3 into the self contained "Cube" transceiver and have a very nice portable tranceiver. The Cube can be purchased assembled or as a complete kit with or without the required 6.3 softrock. Bottomline- for the little money the newest RXTX costs I would not invest much time in a 6.1 or a 6.2. I built a 6.2- used it on WSPR for a couple days and threw it in a drawer. Hope this explains the options a little better.

              73s

              John
              KC9OJV

              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 4, 2012
                John,

                I disagree, the 6.1 and 6.2 work fine, accepting the limited band coverage.  I used a 6.2 barefoot during a fox hunt season a few years back and worked 50%  on 40 and 80M of foxes even missing a few sessions due to conflicts.  It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.  The earlier versions of the SOFTROCKs have their place for learning.  Just my humble opinion.

                Tim K5OI
                Las Cruces, NM

                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 4, 2012
                  Tim,
                  I didn't mean to disparage the early versions- they stood tall as the seminal efforts of (at that time) virtually unknown technology and gave us a glimpse at what was to come. I was trying to say that investing the effort required to build and debug a Softrock transceiver points towards the consideration of buying and building the newer models. If you want to build a 6.2 just for fun (as I did) go right ahead but many have scarce time to spend on building and the utility difference between a crystal based model and a frequency agile one is pretty big.

                  John
                  KC9OJV

                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 4, 2012

                    >, the 6.1 and 6.2 work fine, accepting the limited band
                    > coverage.

                    Yes, there is no problem, they are almost exactly the same circuitry as the Ensemble.
                    A crystal with the right frequency may be ideal for data modes. The signal purity may be better than an Si570, no worse .
                    A Si570 may be added using a SDRKits generator, preferably fitting a Softrock-programmed ATTiny85 rather than the one supplied.

                    73 Alan G4ZFQ
                  • G0ORH
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 14, 2013
                      Hi guys
                      A quick question!
                      Is anyone running the softRock RX ensemble II 10 - 160m kit, work as a panadapter with the K3 IF, if so, what mods if any are required in setting it up!!

                      Cheers

                      Ken G0ORH
                    • Chris Wilson
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 14, 2013

                        > Hi guys
                        > A quick question!
                        > Is anyone running the softRock RX ensemble II 10 - 160m kit, work
                        > as a panadapter with the K3 IF, if so, what mods if any are required in setting it up!!

                        > Cheers

                        > Ken G0ORH

                        14/08/2013 15:30

                        I believe there's a whole, detailed, article on the web about this
                        combination and how to set it up, I think I read it when looking at
                        using a panadaptor with a Kenwood TS-590 If I can find it I'll post
                        here or mail the link. Good luck.

                        --
                        Best Regards,
                        Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 14, 2013
                          Hi Chris
                          Did a search but couldn't find anything on it.

                          Would be great if something shows up though.

                          Cheers

                          Ken...G0ORH

                          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Chris Wilson <chris@...> wrote:

                          > > Hi guys
                          > > A quick question!
                          > > Is anyone running the softRock RX ensemble II 10 - 160m kit, work
                          > > as a panadapter with the K3 IF, if so, what mods if any are required in setting it up!!
                          >
                          > > Cheers
                          >
                          > > Ken G0ORH
                          >

                          > 14/08/2013 15:30
                          >

                          > I believe there's a whole, detailed, article on the web about this
                          > combination and how to set it up, I think I read it when looking at
                          > using a panadaptor with a Kenwood TS-590 If I can find it I'll post
                          > here or mail the link. Good luck.
                          >

                          > --
                          > Best Regards,
                          > Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY

                        • KQ8M
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 14, 2013

                            Chris and Ken,

                            What you need is the IF board in the K3. Feed this output in to the Ensemble and tune the ensemble to the IF frequency which is in the 8MHz range. I am writing this off the top of my head but it is that easy. The Software such as HDSDR can connect to the rig and control it.

                            73,

                            Tim Herrick, KQ8M

                            Charter Member North Coast Contesters

                            kq8m@...

                            AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org

                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 14, 2013

                              > Is anyone running the softRock RX ensemble II 10 - 160m kit, work as a panadapter with the K3 IF, if so, what mods if any are
                              > required in setting it up!!

                              Ken,

                              This way for IF <https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/hdsdr-if-pano>

                              This way, with some sort of switching or RX antenna connection, for parallel
                              <https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/installing-and-using-hdsdr#Use%20HDSDR%20with%20an%20Ensemble>

                              Probably best to get a LIte, the Ensemble could be modified to remove the need for USB.