Re: ATU for ensemble rxtx

  • kk4dcf
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 1, 2012
      Thank you both for your success reports.

      James.

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "grahamg3zod" <grahamg3zod@...> wrote:

      > I've also used my three Ensemble TXRX's on all bands 80m-10m with my T1
      > and it worked fine.
      >
      > 73 de Graham G3ZOD FISTS #8385
      > http://fists.co.uk <http://fists.co.uk>
      >
      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kk4dcf" <oohay@> wrote:
      > > The minimum power level to tune is my biggest concern with the T1. I
      > have no idea what the my ensemble is going to put out.
      > >
      > > This http://www.hfprojectsyahoo.com/sla5wamp.html may be an option but
      > I would have no idea how to add it to the ensemble and it's just more
      > money. I'd prefer to end up with a 10 - 20w amp some day.
      > >
      > > This is all entirely new to me so I'm just making it up as I go along.
      > >
      > > James.
      > >
      > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "vbifyz" 3ym3ym@ wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Elecraft T1 has similar list of features to LDG Z-817 (internal
      > battery, latching relays, 20W max power).
      > > > I used T1 with my Softrock RXTX and it works well. I had a WSPR
      > setup running with a random wire antenna and was heard all around the
      > globe.
      > > > The only minor issue is that T1 requires a certain TX power level to
      > work. It was only able to do the tuning while RXTX generated the full 1W
      > CW output .
      > > >
      > > > 73, Mike

      > The neat thing about this tuner is is that it runs on internal battery,
      > does not draw power unless in tuning cycle, needs no ext pwr. Also has a
      > tune button so no other connect to radio etc. required other than coax.
      > Very simple to operate. If load outside its tuning range, then chances
      > of QRP success marginal. I believe it’s 25W max. Link, WV4I

    • John Marvin
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 1, 2012
        I've used my LDG Z100+ with a RXTX Ensemble and it has worked great. You
        also have the option of installing a battery inside the case of using an
        external power supply.

        John

        On 11/1/2012 1:45 PM, kk4dcf wrote:
        > Thank you both for your success reports.
        >
        > James.
        >
        > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>,
        > "grahamg3zod" <grahamg3zod@...> wrote:
        > >

        > > I've also used my three Ensemble TXRX's on all bands 80m-10m with my T1
        > > and it worked fine.
        > >
        > > 73 de Graham G3ZOD FISTS #8385
        > > http://fists.co.uk <http://fists.co.uk>
        > >
        > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, "kk4dcf" <oohay@> wrote:
        > > > The minimum power level to tune is my biggest concern with the T1. I
        > > have no idea what the my ensemble is going to put out.
        > > >
        > > > This http://www.hfprojectsyahoo.com/sla5wamp.html may be an option but
        > > I would have no idea how to add it to the ensemble and it's just more
        > > money. I'd prefer to end up with a 10 - 20w amp some day.
        > > >
        > > > This is all entirely new to me so I'm just making it up as I go along.
        > > >
        > > > James.
        > > >
        > > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com

        > > battery, latching relays, 20W max power).
        > > setup running with a random wire antenna and was heard all around the
        > > globe.
        > > work. It was only able to do the tuning while RXTX generated the full 1W
        > > CW output .

        > > The neat thing about this tuner is is that it runs on internal battery,
        > > does not draw power unless in tuning cycle, needs no ext pwr. Also has a
        > > tune button so no other connect to radio etc. required other than coax.
        > > Very simple to operate. If load outside its tuning range, then chances
        > > of QRP success marginal. I believe it’s 25W max. Link, WV4I

      • Eric Söderman
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 1, 2012

          Then I recommend to feed with balanced line and use a balanced tuner. I just moved to a new qth and will use a similar antenna and that is the recomendation I received.

          Eric SA5BKE

          On 1 Nov 2012 17:35, "kk4dcf" <oohay@...> wrote:

          I have to use an attic antenna in an attic that's not long enough. I'm going to use a 44' dipole with 90 degree bends at ~ 16' on both ends for 20m/40m.
          I could go with a much cheaper manual tuner, but I don't have an swr meter to verify its results.

          James.

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Eric Söderman <eric@...> wrote:

          > I dont see why you absolutely need an atu. It depends on what antenna you
          > use. If you dont want to spend money then build a manual matcher or more
          > antennas (maybe trap dipole or other options)
          >
          > Eric sa5bke
          > On Nov 1, 2012 3:02 AM, "kk4dcf" <oohay@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > I've been trying to get on the air as cheap as possible so I was hoping I
          > > wouldn't need an ATU but it seems unavoidable.
          > >
          > > I'm about to pull the trigger on the elecraft T1 and wanted to get some
          > > opinions on whether this would be an acceptable pair (ensemble and T1). I
          > > picked it mainly because it can report swr and should hold its value well
          > > if I ever decide to sell it. I don't have an swr meter.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > James.

        • kk4dcf
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 8, 2012
            Should I be able to run the tuner by just going into cfgsdr and hitting the PTT under test? Doing this or using Tune in powersdr, the T1 doesn't respond. Just flashes for a few seconds then off.

            Thanks,
            James.

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kk4dcf" <oohay@...> wrote:

            > I've been trying to get on the air as cheap as possible so I was hoping I wouldn't need an ATU but it seems unavoidable.
            >
            > I'm about to pull the trigger on the elecraft T1 and wanted to get some opinions on whether this would be an acceptable pair (ensemble and T1). I picked it mainly because it can report swr and should hold its value well if I ever decide to sell it. I don't have an swr meter.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > James.

          • vbifyz
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 8, 2012
              No, PTT by itself is not enough. You need a tone to be applied from the TX soundcard output to the Softrock. The output power is proportional to this audio signal. No audio - no RF output.

              I use this setup (RTXT+T1 ATU) for WSPR, so I press the button on T1 when WSPR begins transmitting.

              73, Mike