Re: ATU for ensemble rxtx

  • kk4dcf
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 1, 2012
      The minimum power level to tune is my biggest concern with the T1. I have no idea what the my ensemble is going to put out.

      This http://www.hfprojectsyahoo.com/sla5wamp.html may be an option but I would have no idea how to add it to the ensemble and it's just more money. I'd prefer to end up with a 10 - 20w amp some day.

      This is all entirely new to me so I'm just making it up as I go along.

      James.

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "vbifyz" <3ym3ym@...> wrote:

      > Elecraft T1 has similar list of features to LDG Z-817 (internal battery, latching relays, 20W max power).
      > I used T1 with my Softrock RXTX and it works well. I had a WSPR setup running with a random wire antenna and was heard all around the globe.
      > The only minor issue is that T1 requires a certain TX power level to work. It was only able to do the tuning while RXTX generated the full 1W CW output .
      >
      > 73, Mike
      >
      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Leonard McGarity" <wv4i@> wrote:
      > >
      > > When I owned a FT-817ND, I also had a LDG Z-817 qrp auto tuner. The neat thing about this tuner is is that it runs on internal battery, does not draw power unless in tuning cycle, needs no ext pwr. Also has a tune button so no other connect to radio etc. required other than coax. Very simple to operate. If load outside its tuning range, then chances of QRP success marginal. I believe it’s 25W max. Link, WV4I

    • Kevin Kleinfelter
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 1, 2012
        I built a BLTPlus tuner (from Hendricks QRP kits) specifically for this purpose.  While it does not display SWR, it has an LED which goes dark at 1-1 SWR.  I just finished building it, so I haven't had a chance to test it out, but it is cheap, easy to build, and seems tailor-made for a SoftRock.
        Kevin K4KPK

        On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 12:34 PM, kk4dcf <oohay@...> wrote:

        I have to use an attic antenna in an attic that's not long enough. I'm going to use a 44' dipole with 90 degree bends at ~ 16' on both ends for 20m/40m.
        I could go with a much cheaper manual tuner, but I don't have an swr meter to verify its results.

        James.

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Eric Söderman <eric@...> wrote:

        > I dont see why you absolutely need an atu. It depends on what antenna you
        > use. If you dont want to spend money then build a manual matcher or more
        > antennas (maybe trap dipole or other options)
        >
        > Eric sa5bke
        > On Nov 1, 2012 3:02 AM, "kk4dcf" <oohay@...> wrote:
        >
        > > **

        > > I've been trying to get on the air as cheap as possible so I was hoping I
        > > wouldn't need an ATU but it seems unavoidable.
        > >
        > > I'm about to pull the trigger on the elecraft T1 and wanted to get some
        > > opinions on whether this would be an acceptable pair (ensemble and T1). I
        > > picked it mainly because it can report swr and should hold its value well
        > > if I ever decide to sell it. I don't have an swr meter.
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > > James.

      • grahamg3zod
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 1, 2012

          I've also used my three Ensemble TXRX's on all bands 80m-10m with my T1 and it worked fine.

          73 de Graham G3ZOD FISTS #8385
          http://fists.co.uk

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 1, 2012
            Thank you both for your success reports.

            James.

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "grahamg3zod" <grahamg3zod@...> wrote:

            > I've also used my three Ensemble TXRX's on all bands 80m-10m with my T1
            > and it worked fine.
            >
            > 73 de Graham G3ZOD FISTS #8385
            > http://fists.co.uk <http://fists.co.uk>
            >
            > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kk4dcf" <oohay@> wrote:
            > > The minimum power level to tune is my biggest concern with the T1. I
            > have no idea what the my ensemble is going to put out.
            > >
            > > This http://www.hfprojectsyahoo.com/sla5wamp.html may be an option but
            > I would have no idea how to add it to the ensemble and it's just more
            > money. I'd prefer to end up with a 10 - 20w amp some day.
            > >
            > > This is all entirely new to me so I'm just making it up as I go along.
            > >
            > > James.
            > >
            > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "vbifyz" 3ym3ym@ wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Elecraft T1 has similar list of features to LDG Z-817 (internal
            > battery, latching relays, 20W max power).
            > > > I used T1 with my Softrock RXTX and it works well. I had a WSPR
            > setup running with a random wire antenna and was heard all around the
            > globe.
            > > > The only minor issue is that T1 requires a certain TX power level to
            > work. It was only able to do the tuning while RXTX generated the full 1W
            > CW output .
            > > >
            > > > 73, Mike

            > The neat thing about this tuner is is that it runs on internal battery,
            > does not draw power unless in tuning cycle, needs no ext pwr. Also has a
            > tune button so no other connect to radio etc. required other than coax.
            > Very simple to operate. If load outside its tuning range, then chances
            > of QRP success marginal. I believe it’s 25W max. Link, WV4I

          • John Marvin
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 1, 2012
              I've used my LDG Z100+ with a RXTX Ensemble and it has worked great. You
              also have the option of installing a battery inside the case of using an
              external power supply.

              John

              On 11/1/2012 1:45 PM, kk4dcf wrote:
              > Thank you both for your success reports.
              >
              > James.
              >
              > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>,
              > "grahamg3zod" <grahamg3zod@...> wrote:
              > >

              > > I've also used my three Ensemble TXRX's on all bands 80m-10m with my T1
              > > and it worked fine.
              > >
              > > 73 de Graham G3ZOD FISTS #8385
              > > http://fists.co.uk <http://fists.co.uk>
              > >
              > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, "kk4dcf" <oohay@> wrote:
              > > > The minimum power level to tune is my biggest concern with the T1. I
              > > have no idea what the my ensemble is going to put out.
              > > >
              > > > This http://www.hfprojectsyahoo.com/sla5wamp.html may be an option but
              > > I would have no idea how to add it to the ensemble and it's just more
              > > money. I'd prefer to end up with a 10 - 20w amp some day.
              > > >
              > > > This is all entirely new to me so I'm just making it up as I go along.
              > > >
              > > > James.
              > > >
              > > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com

              > > battery, latching relays, 20W max power).
              > > setup running with a random wire antenna and was heard all around the
              > > globe.
              > > work. It was only able to do the tuning while RXTX generated the full 1W
              > > CW output .

              > > The neat thing about this tuner is is that it runs on internal battery,
              > > does not draw power unless in tuning cycle, needs no ext pwr. Also has a
              > > tune button so no other connect to radio etc. required other than coax.
              > > Very simple to operate. If load outside its tuning range, then chances
              > > of QRP success marginal. I believe it’s 25W max. Link, WV4I

            • Eric Söderman
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 1, 2012

                Then I recommend to feed with balanced line and use a balanced tuner. I just moved to a new qth and will use a similar antenna and that is the recomendation I received.

                Eric SA5BKE

                On 1 Nov 2012 17:35, "kk4dcf" <oohay@...> wrote:

                I have to use an attic antenna in an attic that's not long enough. I'm going to use a 44' dipole with 90 degree bends at ~ 16' on both ends for 20m/40m.
                I could go with a much cheaper manual tuner, but I don't have an swr meter to verify its results.

                James.

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Eric Söderman <eric@...> wrote:

                > I dont see why you absolutely need an atu. It depends on what antenna you
                > use. If you dont want to spend money then build a manual matcher or more
                > antennas (maybe trap dipole or other options)
                >
                > Eric sa5bke
                > On Nov 1, 2012 3:02 AM, "kk4dcf" <oohay@...> wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > I've been trying to get on the air as cheap as possible so I was hoping I
                > > wouldn't need an ATU but it seems unavoidable.
                > >
                > > I'm about to pull the trigger on the elecraft T1 and wanted to get some
                > > opinions on whether this would be an acceptable pair (ensemble and T1). I
                > > picked it mainly because it can report swr and should hold its value well
                > > if I ever decide to sell it. I don't have an swr meter.
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > > James.

              • kk4dcf
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 8, 2012
                  Should I be able to run the tuner by just going into cfgsdr and hitting the PTT under test? Doing this or using Tune in powersdr, the T1 doesn't respond. Just flashes for a few seconds then off.

                  Thanks,
                  James.

                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kk4dcf" <oohay@...> wrote:

                  > I've been trying to get on the air as cheap as possible so I was hoping I wouldn't need an ATU but it seems unavoidable.
                  >
                  > I'm about to pull the trigger on the elecraft T1 and wanted to get some opinions on whether this would be an acceptable pair (ensemble and T1). I picked it mainly because it can report swr and should hold its value well if I ever decide to sell it. I don't have an swr meter.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > James.

                • vbifyz
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 8, 2012
                    No, PTT by itself is not enough. You need a tone to be applied from the TX soundcard output to the Softrock. The output power is proportional to this audio signal. No audio - no RF output.

                    I use this setup (RTXT+T1 ATU) for WSPR, so I press the button on T1 when WSPR begins transmitting.

                    73, Mike