Ensemble II

  • junius fox
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 31, 2012

      From: Alan
      Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:22 AM
      Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: Ensemble II output

      Hello All,

      After much confusion regarding my testing of the Ensemble II,  Alan pointed something out to me about a voltage measurement problem.  I revisited the point where I didn't get the voltage expected.  I took a close look at the value of t he resisteer I had in the slot.  It was anything but whaqt it shouold have been e.g. 10k.  I have scads of those, so I replaced the culprit, and not I have a great working Ensemble II.

          I want to thank everyone who offered their help.  It is a great forum.

      Junius W5HIR

    • John Greusel
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 31, 2012
        Good work Junius,

        It's always a good learning experience when we make a mistake but nevertheless painful.
        Now's a good time to start an RXTX while it's all fresh in your mind!

        John
        KC9OJV

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 1, 2012

          Oddly enough John, I happen to have the RXTX kit I  purchased many moons ago.  I think I bought it when it first came out.  Have there been many changes since???

          Junius

          After much confusion regarding my testing of the Ensemble II,  Alan pointed something out to me about a voltage measurement problem.  I revisited the point where I didn't get the voltage expected.  I took a close look at the value of t he resisteer I had in the slot.  It was anything but whaqt it shouold have been e.g. 10k.  I have scads of those, so I replaced the culprit, and not I have a great working Ensemble II.
              I want to thank everyone who offered their help.  It is a great forum.

          Junius W5HIR

          =======
          http://www.pctools.com
          =======
        • John Greusel
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 1, 2012
            Junius,

            Really no change except to cross the transformer wires- per a recent discovery. I believe Robby has incorporated that change into the build notes. It's so much fun to tell people you're speaking to them on a home built transceiver. Digital modes are also fun with the RXTX. It really remarkable how well it works.

            John
            KC9OJV

            Oddly enough John, I happen to have the RXTX kit I  purchased many moons ago.  I think I bought it when it first came out.  Have there been many changes since???

            Junius

            After much confusion regarding my testing of the Ensemble II,  Alan pointed something out to me about a voltage measurement problem.  I revisited the point where I didn't get the voltage expected.  I took a close look at the value of t he resisteer I had in the slot.  It was anything but whaqt it shouold have been e.g. 10k.  I have scads of those, so I replaced the culprit, and not I have a great working Ensemble II.
                I want to thank everyone who offered their help.  It is a great forum.

            Junius W5HIR

            =======
            http://www.pctools.com/?cclick=EmailFooterClean_51
            =======

          • John Greusel
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 1, 2012
              Junius,

              I may have falsely assumed you were talking about the Ensemble RXTX not the 6.3, 6.2, 6.1. The earliest versions were rockbound. If you have a crystal instead of an SI570 then you'll want to buy a new kit.

              John
              KC9OJV

              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 4, 2012

                John, With all of the comments regarding the RXTX, it was natural to assume I have one.  I was referring to the ensemble II.  However, I do have one of the earliest RXTX kits that I have yet to assemble.  I am wondering if the earlier kit has the problem of the recent ones??

                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 4, 2012
                  Junius,

                  If by problem you mean the reversing of the ground connection on the transformer (really no big deal) then no. Those earlier models were wired correctly. However they are crystal based (or at least the 6.1 and 6.2 were) and had too much harmonic output and are considered undesirable for any practical transmitting. Additionally they have no frequency agility so you're stuck with 48 khz or 96 khz bandwidth depending on soundcard and also you're stuck with whatever portion of the band that comes with the crystal Tony sent. I wouldn't bother building a 6.1 or a 6.2- too limited. On the other hand a 6.3 was the precursor to the Ensemble RXTX and is a quite good unit. It can be used on all the bands by changing the PA/Bandpass board which are interchangable. The problem is that Tony doesn't sell the PA kits anymore so you can buy the additional sets for the other bands. You can however incorporate the  6.3 into the self contained "Cube" transceiver and have a very nice portable tranceiver. The Cube can be purchased assembled or as a complete kit with or without the required 6.3 softrock. Bottomline- for the little money the newest RXTX costs I would not invest much time in a 6.1 or a 6.2. I built a 6.2- used it on WSPR for a couple days and threw it in a drawer. Hope this explains the options a little better.

                  73s

                  John
                  KC9OJV

                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 4, 2012
                    John,

                    I disagree, the 6.1 and 6.2 work fine, accepting the limited band coverage.  I used a 6.2 barefoot during a fox hunt season a few years back and worked 50%  on 40 and 80M of foxes even missing a few sessions due to conflicts.  It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.  The earlier versions of the SOFTROCKs have their place for learning.  Just my humble opinion.

                    Tim K5OI
                    Las Cruces, NM

                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 4, 2012
                      Tim,
                      I didn't mean to disparage the early versions- they stood tall as the seminal efforts of (at that time) virtually unknown technology and gave us a glimpse at what was to come. I was trying to say that investing the effort required to build and debug a Softrock transceiver points towards the consideration of buying and building the newer models. If you want to build a 6.2 just for fun (as I did) go right ahead but many have scarce time to spend on building and the utility difference between a crystal based model and a frequency agile one is pretty big.

                      John
                      KC9OJV

                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 4, 2012

                        >, the 6.1 and 6.2 work fine, accepting the limited band
                        > coverage.

                        Yes, there is no problem, they are almost exactly the same circuitry as the Ensemble.
                        A crystal with the right frequency may be ideal for data modes. The signal purity may be better than an Si570, no worse .
                        A Si570 may be added using a SDRKits generator, preferably fitting a Softrock-programmed ATTiny85 rather than the one supplied.

                        73 Alan G4ZFQ
                      • G0ORH
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 14, 2013
                          Hi guys
                          A quick question!
                          Is anyone running the softRock RX ensemble II 10 - 160m kit, work as a panadapter with the K3 IF, if so, what mods if any are required in setting it up!!

                          Cheers

                          Ken G0ORH
                        • Chris Wilson
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 14, 2013

                            > Hi guys
                            > A quick question!
                            > Is anyone running the softRock RX ensemble II 10 - 160m kit, work
                            > as a panadapter with the K3 IF, if so, what mods if any are required in setting it up!!

                            > Cheers

                            > Ken G0ORH

                            14/08/2013 15:30

                            I believe there's a whole, detailed, article on the web about this
                            combination and how to set it up, I think I read it when looking at
                            using a panadaptor with a Kenwood TS-590 If I can find it I'll post
                            here or mail the link. Good luck.

                            --
                            Best Regards,
                            Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 14, 2013
                              Hi Chris
                              Did a search but couldn't find anything on it.

                              Would be great if something shows up though.

                              Cheers

                              Ken...G0ORH

                              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Chris Wilson <chris@...> wrote:

                              > > Hi guys
                              > > A quick question!
                              > > Is anyone running the softRock RX ensemble II 10 - 160m kit, work
                              > > as a panadapter with the K3 IF, if so, what mods if any are required in setting it up!!
                              >
                              > > Cheers
                              >
                              > > Ken G0ORH
                              >

                              > 14/08/2013 15:30
                              >

                              > I believe there's a whole, detailed, article on the web about this
                              > combination and how to set it up, I think I read it when looking at
                              > using a panadaptor with a Kenwood TS-590 If I can find it I'll post
                              > here or mail the link. Good luck.
                              >

                              > --
                              > Best Regards,
                              > Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY

                            • KQ8M
                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 14, 2013

                                Chris and Ken,

                                What you need is the IF board in the K3. Feed this output in to the Ensemble and tune the ensemble to the IF frequency which is in the 8MHz range. I am writing this off the top of my head but it is that easy. The Software such as HDSDR can connect to the rig and control it.

                                73,

                                Tim Herrick, KQ8M

                                Charter Member North Coast Contesters

                                kq8m@...

                                AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org

                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 14, 2013

                                  > Is anyone running the softRock RX ensemble II 10 - 160m kit, work as a panadapter with the K3 IF, if so, what mods if any are
                                  > required in setting it up!!

                                  Ken,

                                  This way for IF <https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/hdsdr-if-pano>

                                  This way, with some sort of switching or RX antenna connection, for parallel
                                  <https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/installing-and-using-hdsdr#Use%20HDSDR%20with%20an%20Ensemble>

                                  Probably best to get a LIte, the Ensemble could be modified to remove the need for USB.