Re: [softrock40] Peaberry using PowerSDR2.4.4 I/Q Reverse on TX only

    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 30, 2012
      ----- Original Message -----
      Subject: Re: [softrock40] Peaberry using PowerSDR2.4.4 I/Q Reverse on TX only

      > Only Rocky needs the
      > RX_REV jumper.

      David,

      I wonder why you say that?
      If the Peaberry works correctly with PSDR then I'd have thought Rocky's software switch would be needed. I presume that this switch
      reverses RX and TX.

      73 Alan G4ZFQ
    • kz1x
      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 30, 2012
        Interesting.

        I've tried Rocky and HDSDR and PowerSDR with my Peaberry, and, the only one I've had to run reverse I-Q on is HDSDR. And I do that from the application, not the radio.

        The radio has to be rebooted (that's funny to an old analog guy like me, a radio rebooting?) to read the 'rev' jumper setting.

        Rocky is awful on the setup I have (Atom powered netbook, Win7 basic), essentially unusable ... HDSDR is so-so, needed for the fldigi clean interface ... and PowerSDR (the special version for the radio genre) works the best but is notorious for simply crashing for no apparent reason.

        Steve KZ1X/4

        ***

        > Subject: Re: [softrock40] Peaberry using PowerSDR2.4.4 I/Q Reverse on TX only
        >

        > > Only Rocky needs the
        > > RX_REV jumper.
        > >

        > David,
        >
        > I wonder why you say that?
        > If the Peaberry works correctly with PSDR then I'd have thought Rocky's software switch would be needed. I presume that this switch
        > reverses RX and TX.
        >
        > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

      • David Turnbull
        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 30, 2012
          Alan, Rocky's I/Q reversal toggles both the tx and rx. The RX_REV
          reverses only the receiver. Without the jumper, one or the other is
          always wrong in Rocky. No other software needs this jumper as they
          either use the PowerSDR setup or have separate config options for rx
          and tx.

          73 David AE9RB
          http://AE9RB.com/

          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 30, 2012
            > Alan, Rocky's I/Q reversal toggles both the tx and rx. The RX_REV
            > reverses only the receiver. Without the jumper, one or the other is
            > always wrong in Rocky. No other software needs this jumper as they
            > either use the PowerSDR setup or have separate config options for rx
            > and tx.

            David

            With the Softrocks it has always been the case that if the IQ is setup for PSDR RXTX then the software switch was all that was
            needed for Rocky.

            As no-one has mentioned any changes with PSDR I assume that the IQ settings have not changed. So the latest version should not be
            any different.

            I forget which software needs the software switch but once a Softrock is setup correctly it does not need to be changed. It seems
            strange that you say the Peaberry requires a RX switch.

            73 Alan G4ZFQ
          • David Turnbull
            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 31, 2012
              Alan,

              The following two paragraphs from from
              http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/ensemble/07_opamp.htm

              "In both the RX op amp and TX QSE sections, the jumper links on the
              I/Q input and outputs should ideally be fitted crossed over. That
              provides compatibility with all versions of PowerSDR. For Rocky and
              Winrad it is necessary to use the 'swap IQ' functions in their set up.
              If you jumper them straight across fine for Rocky and Winrad, but you
              will not be able to use any version of PSDR. (Author wired for Rocky)"

              "Some builders (author included) have encountered issues in this setup
              and siscovered that the only the TX leads should be crossed, leaving
              the RX leads uncrossed. Be prepared to change these should you
              encounter this issue."

              I own a SoftRock RXTX Ensemble and wiring them as per the first
              paragraph, with both crossed, left me in a situation where Rocky was
              impossible to set up. Making the change in the second paragraph allows
              use on Rocky, but PowerSDR was impossible.

              I have tested many different applications with the Peaberry and would
              love a design that didn't require i/Q reversal. Unfortunately, this
              doesn't seem possible when two very popular applications appear in
              direct conflict with each other and are inflexible with their
              configuration.

              To everyone who transmits with both PowerSDR and Rocky on a RXTX
              Ensemble: What versions are you using? How are your jumpers set up?

              73 David AE9RB
              http://AE9RB.com/

              On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 11:15 PM, Alan <alan4alan@...> wrote:

> [...]
            • Jose Bonanca
              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 31, 2012

                RX not crossed ... TX crossed.

                73

                Message 7 of 28 , Oct 31, 2012
                  Jose, what versions of the software? Are you actually transmitting with both or just receiving with one? I need more information to reproduce this because my results have been different the past dozen times I've tested.

                  On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Jose Bonanca <jabct1aos@...> wrote:

                  RX not crossed ... TX crossed.

                  73

                  "In both the RX op amp and TX QSE sections, the jumper links on the
                  I/Q input and outputs should ideally be fitted crossed over. That
                  provides compatibility with all versions of PowerSDR. For Rocky and
                  Winrad it is necessary to use the 'swap IQ' functions in their set up.
                  If you jumper them straight across fine for Rocky and Winrad, but you
                  will not be able to use any version of PSDR. (Author wired for Rocky)"

                  "Some builders (author included) have encountered issues in this setup
                  and siscovered that the only the TX leads should be crossed, leaving
                  the RX leads uncrossed. Be prepared to change these should you
                  encounter this issue."

                  I own a SoftRock RXTX Ensemble and wiring them as per the first
                  paragraph, with both crossed, left me in a situation where Rocky was
                  impossible to set up. Making the change in the second paragraph allows
                  use on Rocky, but PowerSDR was impossible.

                  I have tested many different applications with the Peaberry and would
                  love a design that didn't require i/Q reversal. Unfortunately, this
                  doesn't seem possible when two very popular applications appear in
                  direct conflict with each other and are inflexible with their
                  configuration.

                  To everyone who transmits with both PowerSDR and Rocky on a RXTX
                  Ensemble: What versions are you using? How are your jumpers set up?

                  73 David AE9RB
                  http://AE9RB.com/

                • John Williams
                  Message 8 of 28 , Oct 31, 2012
                    I got my RXTX pre-built from Tony and he said he tested it on Rocky. He wired it RX straight and TX crossed. To get it to work on PSDR, I made a cable that crosses RX.

                    Confusing, but that is what I have.

                    John
                    On 10/31/2012 11:45 AM, David Turnbull wrote:

                    Alan,

                    The following two paragraphs from from
                    http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/ensemble/07_opamp.htm

                    "In both the RX op amp and TX QSE sections, the jumper links on the
                    I/Q input and outputs should ideally be fitted crossed over. That
                    provides compatibility with all versions of PowerSDR. For Rocky and
                    Winrad it is necessary to use the 'swap IQ' functions in their set up.
                    If you jumper them straight across fine for Rocky and Winrad, but you
                    will not be able to use any version of PSDR. (Author wired for Rocky)"

                    "Some builders (author included) have encountered issues in this setup
                    and siscovered that the only the TX leads should be crossed, leaving
                    the RX leads uncrossed. Be prepared to change these should you
                    encounter this issue."

                    I own a SoftRock RXTX Ensemble and wiring them as per the first
                    paragraph, with both crossed, left me in a situation where Rocky was
                    impossible to set up. Making the change in the second paragraph allows
                    use on Rocky, but PowerSDR was impossible.

                    I have tested many different applications with the Peaberry and would
                    love a design that didn't require i/Q reversal. Unfortunately, this
                    doesn't seem possible when two very popular applications appear in
                    direct conflict with each other and are inflexible with their
                    configuration.

                    To everyone who transmits with both PowerSDR and Rocky on a RXTX
                    Ensemble: What versions are you using? How are your jumpers set up?

                    73 David AE9RB
                    http://AE9RB.com/

                    On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 11:15 PM, Alan <alan4alan@...> wrote:

                    John Williams

                    KE5SSH - ham since 2007
                    WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

                  • David Turnbull
                    Message 9 of 28 , Oct 31, 2012
                      Thanks, John,

                      Your observations exactly match mine. I wired my RXTX for PowerSDR and use a "reversing cable" for Rocky.

                      I think it's possible that somewhere along the way Rocky changed so I'm hoping someone who doesn't need to switch IQ will report their version numbers. This confuses everyone getting started with homebrew SDR so it'd be nice to figure out where things went sideways.

                      73 David AE9RB
                      http://AE9RB.com/

                      Message 10 of 28 , Oct 31, 2012

                        I use PSDR 1.19  just RX only. HDSDR2 and ROCKY7 all of them are working great.

                        73

                        Message 11 of 28 , Oct 31, 2012
                          Message 12 of 28 , Oct 31, 2012

                            David,

                            Did you look at your output on another SDR radio while you were transmitting? I couldn't get any PSK responses when I first started using my Peaberry on PowerSDR 2.4.4 so I fired up a SoftRockRXTX on another computer (antenna attenuated) to see what my signal looked like. To my surprise I was on the wrong side of the center line. I switched to LSB on the SoftRock and my PSK decoder started decoding my transmission. No wonder nobody replied to me. I was below them. So I switched the SoftRock back to USB and the Peaberry to LSB and restarted my calling CQ. The SoftRock decoded my transmission on USB and I started getting responses to my calling CQ. I made about 30 contacts that evening and had reports for a solid clean signal. I've been flipping USB/LSB since I found that solution.

                            Dave (W4DJW)

                            > "In both the RX op amp and TX QSE sections, the jumper links on the
                            > I/Q input and outputs should ideally be fitted crossed over....

                            Dave,

                            Unfortunately in a list like this confusion reigns!
                            We get posts from those that understand and from those that think they understand.
                            At the time Robby wrote that, when the Ensemble was introduced, there was a LOT of confusion, some were convinced their soundcard
                            L/R was reversed from the normal standard. Perhaps it needs re-writing.

                            My Ensembles have TX crossed, RX straight.
                            I confirm that this works with all versions of PSDR and Rocky. I've just looked at Rocky, it is set Left/Right = Q/I which I presume
                            is the way it works. I have used PSK TX but not recently......
                            Right, seeing other comments.
                            Rocky 3.6 Correct.
                            Rocky 3.7 Correct.
                            PSDR has always been correct for all versions, from 1.9 to 2.4.
                            Correct means that it TXs on the same frequency as RX.

                            > provides compatibility with all versions of PowerSDR. For Rocky and
                            > Winrad it is necessary to use the 'swap IQ' functions in their set up.
                            > If you jumper them straight across fine for Rocky and Winrad, but you
                            > will not be able to use any version of PSDR. (Author wired for Rocky)"

                            In this configuration RX/TX will not be correct for PSDR or any software except those that have separate RX and TX switches.

                            > "Some builders (author included) have encountered issues in this setup
                            > and siscovered that the only the TX leads should be crossed, leaving
                            > the RX leads uncrossed. Be prepared to change these should you
                            > encounter this issue."

                            Robby got it right in the end. But some were not convinced.

                            > I own a SoftRock RXTX Ensemble and wiring them as per the first
                            > paragraph, with both crossed, left me in a situation where Rocky was
                            > impossible to set up.
                            Yes.

                            Message 13 of 28 , Oct 31, 2012
                              Dave, I use the bandscope from an analog radio, not an SDR. It's wide and sensitive enough to show the main signal, LO, and image all at once. This eliminates any possible misconfiguration of the other SDR or misinterpretation of what is where. Switching USB/LSB won't flip you to the other side of the center, you would have to change the LO for that. Something else is going on with your situation.

                              Alan, I just tested my RXTX again with PowerSDR. Straight on RX and crossed on TX is indeed the correct setting. I have configured the Peaberry to match this by default. Multiple customers have reported PowerSDR working and needing to reverse receive to get Rocky 3.7 working. I have needed the same. My RXTX also needs a crossover cable for Rocky. John has stated that he needs a crossover cable. You and Jose say you don't.

                              Using the default Peaberry settings, and the straight on RX and crossed on TX for RXTX, I can receive properly with Rocky 3.7 when set to Left/Right=Q/I. However the transmission is on the wrong side of center. If I change to Left/Right=I/Q then the receiver is backwards and the transmission is correct. Are you seeing this behavior, or does transmit stay the same when you switch this setting?

                              For a default Peaberry, WSPR in I/Q mode needs no reversal and HDSDR needs RX reversal but not TX reversal.

                              We really need to hear from more people who transmit using both applications and have proper test equipment.

                              73 David AE9RB

                            • Dave Watson
                              Message 14 of 28 , Oct 31, 2012

                                David,

                                I just retested on a Kenwood TS-2000 and a Flex-5000A. No possibility of misconfiguration there as I'm simply listening to what is being transmitted. On the TS-2000, I hear the signal on LSB and I don't hear the signal on USB. On the Flex, I see the signal below the center frequency on USB and above the center frequency on LSB.

                                When you test with PowerSDR are you using the Flex built executable v2.4.4 with TNF capability?

                                Dave (W4DJW)

                                Message 15 of 28 , Oct 31, 2012
                                  Dave,

                                  I'm using the executable built by SV1EIA that was in the zip fie for making 2.4.4 work for homebrew.

                                  When you toggle the TS-2000 from USB to LSB then you are tuning in a completely different 3kHz of spectrum. I think you're mistaking beat frequency for the local oscillator. The line displayed PowerSDR is not the LO or center frequency, it is the beat frequency. The LO in PowerSDR is always 8kHz below the beat frequency. This is very different from traditional radios.

                                  It sound like your Si570 may be mis-calibrated. You can use CFGSR to set the calibration and make sure all your applications are reset to defaults or zero.

                                  73 David AE9RB

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Oct 31, 2012

                                    David,

                                    I did use CFGSR to calibrate for receive but not for transmit. I think you have identified the issue. I may be too low on TX in USB and too high on TX in LSB. If that is the case, that should be a lot easier than reprogramming. Thanks for putting up me figuring this out.

                                    Dave (W4DJW)

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Nov 1, 2012
                                      > Alan, I just tested my RXTX again with PowerSDR. Straight on RX and crossed
                                      > on TX is indeed the correct setting. I have configured the Peaberry to
                                      > match this by default.

                                      And the Peaberry does TX on the same sideband as RX?

                                      Multiple customers have reported PowerSDR working
                                      > and needing to reverse receive to get Rocky 3.7 working. I have needed the
                                      > same. My RXTX also needs a crossover cable for Rocky. John has stated that
                                      > he needs a crossover cable. You and Jose say you don't.

                                      From what Dave says this seems as if the Peaberry is TXing on the wrong sideband. Not with crossed IQ?
                                      I have re-checked both versions of Rocky and confirm it does TX PSK on USB, just above the tuned frequency. But not the other side
                                      of centre.

                                      Confusion about IQ or QI has been with us for a long time. Switching Rocky when transmitting has only appeared with the Peaberry.

                                      The Ensemble with crossed TX jumpers is the same as early Softrocks. With WSPR-IQ Reverse TX IQ needs to be ticked.

                                      73 Alan G4ZFQ