Ensemble II output

  • w5hir
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 30, 2012
      I have my ensemble II finished ( wel sort of). I hook the unit to HDSDR. HDSDR recognizes the si570 and controls the frequency. But there is apparently no I Q output to HDSDR. I have checked the output pins on the ensemble, and there is output there on both channels.

      I feel that I might have one or more bad ICs. I have checked voltages, and resoldered all of the pins on every IC, and still nil.
      Any idea how i can check the ICs?

      Junius W5HIR
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 30, 2012
        Subject: [softrock40] Ensemble II output

        >there is apparently no I Q output to HDSDR. I have checked the output pins on the ensemble, and there is output there on both
        >channels.
        >
        > I feel that I might have one or more bad ICs. I have checked voltages, and resoldered all of the pins on every IC, and still
        > nil.

        Junius,

        What do you mean? There IS output on both channels of the Ensemble. This is the IQ output to go to Line In.
        What exactly is not happening?

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • vbifyz
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 30, 2012
          Always start debugging on the PC and software side. Check that HDSDR reacts to the signal (finger touching the tip) on your soundcard input.

          73, Mike

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "w5hir" <jfox05@...> wrote:

          > I have my ensemble II finished ( wel sort of). I hook the unit to HDSDR. HDSDR recognizes the si570 and controls the frequency. But there is apparently no I Q output to HDSDR. I have checked the output pins on the ensemble, and there is output there on both channels.
          >
          > I feel that I might have one or more bad ICs. I have checked voltages, and resoldered all of the pins on every IC, and still nil.
          > Any idea how i can check the ICs?
          >
          > Junius W5HIR

        • junius fox
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 30, 2012
            Mike,
                I did just that, I used my finger to introduce noise on the output to the PC.  It reacted as I suspected.
            I also have a SDR receiver I had built, and used it to check the input to the PC, It works as advertised.

            JB
            Always start debugging on the PC and software side. Check that HDSDR reacts to the signal (finger touching the tip) on your soundcard input.

            73, Mike

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "w5hir" <jfox05@...> wrote:

            > I have my ensemble II finished ( wel sort of). I hook the unit to HDSDR. HDSDR recognizes the si570 and controls the frequency. But there is apparently no I Q output to HDSDR. I have checked the output pins on the ensemble, and there is output there on both channels.
            >
            > I feel that I might have one or more bad ICs. I have checked voltages, and resoldered all of the pins on every IC, and still nil.
            > Any idea how i can check the ICs?
            >
            > Junius W5HIR

            =======
            http://www.pctools.com
            =======
          • junius fox
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 30, 2012
              I guess I need to explain about no output to the PC.  I put my finger on both channels to the PC, noise was introduced to the PC,  Apparently, nothing is getting to the Amplifier from the rest of the unit.

              JB
              >there is apparently no I Q output to HDSDR. I have checked the output pins on the ensemble, and there is output there on both
              >channels.
              >
              > I feel that I might have one or more bad ICs. I have checked voltages, and resoldered all of the pins on every IC, and still
              > nil.

              Junius,

              What do you mean? There IS output on both channels of the Ensemble. This is the IQ output to go to Line In.
              What exactly is not happening?

              73 Alan G4ZFQ

              =======
              http://www.pctools.com
              =======
            • John Greusel
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 30, 2012
                Junius,
                It may be a silly question but you did put in the jumpers just behind the line in plug right?

                John
                KC9OJV

                I guess I need to explain about no output to the PC.  I put my finger on both channels to the PC, noise was introduced to the PC,  Apparently, nothing is getting to the Amplifier from the rest of the unit.

                JB
                >there is apparently no I Q output to HDSDR. I have checked the output pins on the ensemble, and there is output there on both
                >channels.
                >
                > I feel that I might have one or more bad ICs. I have checked voltages, and resoldered all of the pins on every IC, and still
                > nil.

                Junius,

                What do you mean? There IS output on both channels of the Ensemble. This is the IQ output to go to Line In.
                What exactly is not happening?

                73 Alan G4ZFQ

                =======
                http://www.pctools.com/?cclick=EmailFooterClean_51
                =======

              • junius fox
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 30, 2012

                  YEP, in fact, I tried it both ways.  But, Thanks for the heads-up.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 30, 2012

                    > I put my finger on both channels to the PC, noise was introduced to the PC, Apparently, nothing is getting to the Amplifier from
                    > the rest of the unit.

                    Hold a pin in your fingers and touch the op-amp inputs and the mixer inputs.

                    73 Alan G4ZFQ
                  • John Greusel
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 30, 2012

                       Junius,

                      Did you check the total current draw of the receiver?

                      John
                      KC9OJV

                      YEP, in fact, I tried it both ways.  But, Thanks for the heads-up.

                      Junius
                      It may be a silly question but you did put in the jumpers just behind the line in plug right?

                      John
                      KC9OJV

                      I guess I need to explain about no output to the PC.  I put my finger on both channels to the PC, noise was introduced to the PC,  Apparently, nothing is getting to the Amplifier from the rest of the unit.

                      JB
                      >there is apparently no I Q output to HDSDR. I have checked the output pins on the ensemble, and there is output there on both
                      >channels.
                      >
                      > I feel that I might have one or more bad ICs. I have checked voltages, and resoldered all of the pins on every IC, and still
                      > nil.

                      Junius,

                      What do you mean? There IS output on both channels of the Ensemble. This is the IQ output to go to Line In.
                      What exactly is not happening?

                      73 Alan G4ZFQ

                      =======
                      http://www.pctools.com/?cclick=EmailFooterClean_51
                      =======

                      =======
                      http://www.pctools.com/?cclick=EmailFooterClean_51
                      =======

                    • Leonard McGarity
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 30, 2012
                        Don’t know if this applies to the problem described in this thread, but I too was initially not getting the I/Q signal where it needed to go. Both my PC (on MB sound) and netbook have little/no documentation as to whether a stereo input or not. The netbook is likely mono only, and rather than start poking the 3.5mm stereo I/Q plug into the PC’s sound card ports, posssibly damage, I bought a known stereo input PCI sound card, installed, now it all works great. I use SDR-Radio on both my Ensemble II and SDR-IQ. I find the Si570 must init with CFGSR unless PC is restarted with Ensemble II powered, USB at least connected. The SDR-IQ needs the USB connection cycled unless it too is USB connected/powered at start up. I have a Win 7 32 bit SP1 system and now an Audiophile 192 PCI sound card. Maybe Win 7 has a quirk juggling USB ports/connects, after start, don’t know, but never seen this with other USB devices, eg printers, etc.. Hope something herein helps. Link, WV4I
                      • junius fox
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 31, 2012

                          Leonard,  I appreciate all of the answers I am getting from everyone. I have checked all of the solder points, reflowed(?sp) each pin of the ICs.  One measurement that bothers me is one in which I am supposed to get half of the rail voltage ( 5v).  but I get 4.5volts.
                              Anyway, I am, still checking.  Thanks for the reply.

                          Junius W5HIR

                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 31, 2012
                            Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: Ensemble II output

                            > One measurement that bothers me is one in which I am supposed to get half of the rail voltage ( 5v). but I get 4.5volts.
                            Anyway, I am, still checking.

                            Did you mention that?
                            It could well be your problem.