Re: [softrock40] Re: RXTX ensemble Trouble

    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 30, 2012
      From: "Jaco
      Subject: [softrock40] Re: RXTX ensemble Trouble

      > Something is seriously wrong here, I have tried to TX when all is running and does seem to tx but with now power out, I have set
      > my other radio to a frequency and TX from the RXTX, I can hear myself but the meter does not reflect any power out, While TX'ing I
      > took the board in my hands to see If there could be something ells that I can see and when I touched the 2N2222 heat sink the
      > audio on the receiver radio become very loud, but still nou output, Will this be part of the same problem I'm having or what ells
      > could be the problem.

      This does seem to be a second fault.
      But you must ignore this until the first is cured.
      One thing at a time. Get the RX correct first.

      >> This time it lasted for 41min, it still the same.... I'm starting to think that the Si570 is damaged.
      >> > OK, Let me put it this way, every time I re-solder the Si570 and plug it in it works for a while, So I have done this test,
      >> > I have disconnected everything for about 20min and reconnected it to the PC, It worked again.
      >> > Now, I have found that the Si570 does get hot but not like in very much, Tested temp round about 42 - 45 Degrees C.. (not a
      >> > good thermometer)

      The Si570 temperature seems about normal but, yes, it could be faulty.

      Have you checked the joints on pins 2 and 6 of U1? U1 could be faulty but I have never known one to fail in this way.

      Make absolutely sure that components and voltages around U1 and U3 are correct and soldered well with any excess around the Si570
      removed with solder wick.
      Then maybe it is time to try a replacement Si570.
      It would be easier to try a new U1 first but I feel that is not so likely.

      73 Alan G4ZFQ
    • Jaco Le roux
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 3, 2012
        Hi Alan,

        I have had sometime to look at my RXTX, I found that it draws 114mA on the 12volt side with out USB, I have checked the voltage of the 5 volt Regulator and found that it only gives me 1.3 Volt out and get hot, on the input side I only measure 3.5volt. I have removed the 78L05 and tested the current draw at 0.40mA without USB.

        On the input line of the 78l05 there is 12volt with 78L05 removed.

        I also found that when every thing is connected to PC and I tap on the pcb, sometimes it starts receiving but not for long.

        I can't see any short anywhere, and don't know where to look anymore.

        Thank you

        > From: "Jaco
        > Subject: [softrock40] Re: RXTX ensemble Trouble
        >

        > > Something is seriously wrong here, I have tried to TX when all is running and does seem to tx but with now power out, I have set
        > > my other radio to a frequency and TX from the RXTX, I can hear myself but the meter does not reflect any power out, While TX'ing I
        > > took the board in my hands to see If there could be something ells that I can see and when I touched the 2N2222 heat sink the
        > > audio on the receiver radio become very loud, but still nou output, Will this be part of the same problem I'm having or what ells
        > > could be the problem.
        >
        > This does seem to be a second fault.
        > But you must ignore this until the first is cured.
        > One thing at a time. Get the RX correct first.
        >

        > >> This time it lasted for 41min, it still the same.... I'm starting to think that the Si570 is damaged.
        > >> >

        > The Si570 temperature seems about normal but, yes, it could be faulty.
        >
        > Have you checked the joints on pins 2 and 6 of U1? U1 could be faulty but I have never known one to fail in this way.
        >
        > Make absolutely sure that components and voltages around U1 and U3 are correct and soldered well with any excess around the Si570
        > removed with solder wick.
        > Then maybe it is time to try a replacement Si570.
        > It would be easier to try a new U1 first but I feel that is not so likely.
        >
        > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

      • Jaco Le roux
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 4, 2012
          Hi All,

          I have checked the output to ground on the 5volt regulator with my DMM and got a 10 Ohm reading. I have lifted all the IC's pins connected to the 5v track and still find it to be 10 ohms, If I select continuity on the DMM it beeps and give reading of 10ohm.

          This might be the problem I have with the 5volt that only measure in at 1.3volt, even the input side of the 5volt where it should be 12volt I only measure 3.5volt, I think something is shorting but I can't find where.

          Where can I start....

          Thanks

          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 4, 2012

            > I have checked the output to ground on the 5volt regulator with my DMM and got a 10 Ohm reading. I have lifted all the IC's pins
            > connected to the 5v track and still find it to be 10 ohms, If I select continuity on the DMM it beeps and give reading of 10ohm.
            >
            > This might be the problem I have with the 5volt that only measure in at 1.3volt, even the input side of the 5volt where it should
            > be 12volt I only measure 3.5volt, I think something is shorting but I can't find where.

            Jaco,

            I was wondering if you had used 10 ohms for R61, 62.
            Your measurements do not quite support that but, maybe...
            Check these and the connections where they join to T5 and U10. Maybe a short to ground here.
            Report, I need to think!

            73 Alan G4ZFQ
          • Jaco Le roux
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 5, 2012
              Hi,

              All resistors are checked and is the right values,

              I have the short on the board fixed, but it still doesn't receive, but if I twist the pcb it starts to receive, Now to find where that problem is, I think that it might be one of the Transformers, the only thing I don't know is If I check the continuity of the Transformers all checked out, will remove them and re-solder them.

              Thanks

              Jaco

              > Subject: [softrock40] Re: RXTX ensemble Trouble
              >

              > > I have checked the output to ground on the 5volt regulator with my DMM and got a 10 Ohm reading. I have lifted all the IC's pins
              > > connected to the 5v track and still find it to be 10 ohms, If I select continuity on the DMM it beeps and give reading of 10ohm.
              > >
              > > This might be the problem I have with the 5volt that only measure in at 1.3volt, even the input side of the 5volt where it should
              > > be 12volt I only measure 3.5volt, I think something is shorting but I can't find where.
              > >

              > Jaco,
              >
              > I was wondering if you had used 10 ohms for R61, 62.
              > Your measurements do not quite support that but, maybe...
              > Check these and the connections where they join to T5 and U10. Maybe a short to ground here.
              > Report, I need to think!
              >
              > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

            • Jaco Le roux
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 6, 2012
                Hi Alan,

                All is fine with the resistors, but I have done a test on the IC's.

                USB & 12volt connected

                U11:
                pin1 = 2.63
                pin2 = 2.54
                pin3 = 2.54
                pin4 = 0
                pin5 = 2.54
                pin6 = 2.54
                pin7 = 2.74
                pin8 = 5.05

                U10
                Pin 8 = 0
                Pins 1 and 15 (PTT OFF) = 0
                Pin 2 (from Divider) = 2.5
                Pin 14 (from Divider) = 2.53 (sometimes I measure 5.05 checked for shorts )
                Pin 7 (to OpAmp) Vdc = 2.54
                Pin 9 (to OpAmp) Vdc = 2.54
                Pin 16 (Vdd) Vdc = 5.05
                Pins 1 and 15 (PTT ON) = 5.05

                U6 & U7 ( This is where I found a problem )

                Left IC, Pin 1 Vdc = 0.3
                Left IC, Pin 2 Vdc = 0.3
                Left IC, Pin 3 Vdc = 0.3
                Left IC, Pin 4 Vdc = 0
                Left IC, Pin 5 Vdc = 0.3
                Left IC, Pin 6 Vdc = 0.3
                Left IC, Pin 7 Vdc = 0.3
                Left IC, Pin 8 Vdc = 5.05
                Right IC, Pin 1 Vdc = 0.3
                Right IC, Pin 2 Vdc = 0.3
                Right IC, Pin 3 Vdc = 0.3
                Right IC, Pin 4 Vdc = 0
                Right IC, Pin 5 Vdc = 0.3
                Right IC, Pin 6 Vdc = 0.3
                Right IC, Pin 7 Vdc = 0.3
                Right IC, Pin 8 Vdc = 5.05

                U8 ( Did check for any dry joints just can't find any, re-soldered the board )

                A: Pin 2 Vdc = 2.55
                B: Pin 14 Vdc = 2.50
                C: Pin 7 (R30 hairpin) Vdc = 2.02
                D: Pin 9 (R31 hairpin) Vdc = 2.02
                E: Pin 13 (R25 hairpin) Vdc = (Starts at 2volt then decrease, voltage increase if PCB get's twisted)
                F: Pin 10 (R26 hairpin) Vdc = (Starts at 2volt then decrease, voltage increase if PCB get's twisted)
                G: Pin 12 (R27 hairpin) Vdc = (Starts at 2volt then decrease, voltage increase if PCB get's twisted)
                H: Pin 11 (R28 hairpin) Vdc = (Starts at 2volt then decrease, voltage increase if PCB get's twisted)

                U5

                At U5

                R13 hairpin (wrt regular ground) Vdc = 2.51
                R14 hairpin (wrt regular ground) Vdc = 5.05

                Pin 1 (blue point) Vdc = 5.05
                Pin 2 (yellow point) Vdc = 2.48
                Pin 3 (yellow point) Vdc = 2.52
                Pin 4 (blue point) Vdc = 5.05
                Pin 5 (yellow point) Vdc = 2.5
                Pin 6 (yellow point) Vdc = 2.54 (sometimes 5.05, twist PCB then voltage back to 2.54)
                Pin 7 (regular ground) Vdc = 0
                Pin 8 (yellow point) Vdc = 2.55
                Pin9 (yellow point) Vdc = 2.5
                Pin 10 (blue point) Vdc = 5.05
                Pin 11 (yellow point) Vdc = 2.52
                Pin 12 (yellow point) Vdc = 2.54
                Pin 11 (blue point) Vdc = 5.05
                Pin 14 (blue point) Vdc = 5.05

                Si570

                pin1 = 3.28
                pin2 = 3.28
                pin3 = 0
                pin4 = 1.61
                pin5 = 0.3
                pin6 = 3.29
                pin7 = 3.29
                pin8 = 0.930

                This is it, I hope that there is some good answers for this, I'm tiered of searching for the problem, I would just like to get this thing working.

                I have also changed the 5volt regulator due to some problem it had or got, I have measured it of the PCB and got a 12v output for only a second and then it just go to 0volt.

                Thanks for the help this far.

                73' Jaco de ZS6PX

                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 7, 2012

                  Jaco,

                  Lots of figures!
                  The trouble when twisting the board seems to be something around U5 or U10. Somewhere around the QSD 1 line there must be a bad
                  joint, maybe a crack in a track. Or maybe something shorting, even a whisker of PCB material like we've seen on other boards
                  recently but only connecting intermittently.
                  You do not mention pin U5 12, that is connected to pin 6.

                  The U8 voltage change, I'm not sure. The voltage on those pins is fed through from pins 7,9 when it is clocking. So it may be
                  associated with whatever the above fault turns out to be.

                  With U6 and 7, the votages on pins 3 and 5 all come from the divider R21/R22.
                  So for them to be wrong the resistors could be of wrong value.
                  Possible faulty IC, raise each pin one by one, see if R21 hairpin goes to 2V5.
                  Possible faulty capacitors, C58, 59, 10.
                  The voltage here will affect all others on the ICs so must be correct.

                  Yes, it is annoying when things go wrong. But maybe one day you will be like me, disappointed when something works first time. What
                  do I do next?? This is where you begin to learn things.

                  73 Alan G4ZFQ

                • Jaco Le roux
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 8, 2012
                    Hi Alan,

                    OMG, Something happened and now I have found that the two FTS3253 IC has blown, I have tested it on board with my DMM and receive a full continuity on the meter so I have removed the two 3253's and tested it again.

                    Pins shorting on one of them, pin 8 to pin 14 and the other one pin 8 to pin 14 & 15.

                    Now my problem is that there aren't any suppliers locally for this IC's... Darn...

                    I think That I will have to order another Kit form Tony and maybe ask him if he could in someway add some extra parts in that one. It is just to expensive to only ship a few parts for the other side.

                    Thank you for all the help and hopefully I will get it fix when I receive some new parts...

                    73'
                    Jaco de ZS6PX

> [...]
                    > > D: Pin 9 (R31 hairpin) Vdc = 2.02
                    > > E: Pin 13 (R25 hairpin) Vdc = (Starts at 2volt then decrease, voltage increase if PCB get's twisted)
                    > > F: Pin 10 (R26 hairpin) Vdc = (Starts at 2volt then decrease, voltage increase if PCB get's twisted)
                    > > G: Pin 12 (R27 hairpin) Vdc = (Starts at 2volt then decrease, voltage increase if PCB get's twisted)
                    > > H: Pin 11 (R28 hairpin) Vdc = (Starts at 2volt then decrease, voltage increase if PCB get's twisted)
                    > >
                    > > U5
                    > >
                    > > At U5
                    > >
                    > > R13 hairpin (wrt regular ground) Vdc = 2.51
                    > > R14 hairpin (wrt regular ground) Vdc = 5.05
                    > >
                    > > Pin 1 (blue point) Vdc = 5.05
                    > > Pin 2 (yellow point) Vdc = 2.48
                    > > Pin 3 (yellow point) Vdc = 2.52
                    > > Pin 4 (blue point) Vdc = 5.05
                    > > Pin 5 (yellow point) Vdc = 2.5
                    > > Pin 6 (yellow point) Vdc = 2.54 (sometimes 5.05, twist PCB then voltage back to 2.54)

                  • cbayona.cb
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 8, 2012
                      <
                      http://www.thepartsplace.k5nwa.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=56

                      Small store but I carry that part.

                      At 04:09 AM 11/8/2012, you wrote:
                      >Hi Alan,
                      >
                      >OMG, Something happened and now I have found that the two FTS3253 IC
                      >has blown, I have tested it on board with my DMM and receive a full
                      >continuity on the meter so I have removed the two 3253's and tested it again.
                      >
                      >Pins shorting on one of them, pin 8 to pin 14 and the other one pin
                      >8 to pin 14 & 15.
                      >
                      >Now my problem is that there aren't any suppliers locally for this
                      >IC's... Darn...
                      >
                      >I think That I will have to order another Kit form Tony and maybe
                      >ask him if he could in someway add some extra parts in that one. It
                      >is just to expensive to only ship a few parts for the other side.
                      >
                      >Thank you for all the help and hopefully I will get it fix when I
                      >receive some new parts...
                      >
                      >73'
                      >Jaco de ZS6PX
                      >
                      >SNIP