Re: [softrock40] Storm

  • Mike WA8BXN
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 29, 2012
      Hi Tim -

      I'm visiting a friend here in Wilmington, DE where there was fear of a
      flooded basement with the forecasts of lots of rain and widespread power
      outages. Drove out from Ohio on Sunday loaded with generators, extension
      cords, backup pump, food and all. Granted, I am not on the coast in sight of
      water, but things so far have not been bad at all. No power outage, basic
      sump pump in basement running intermittently. I guess I mostly brought an
      insurance policy that I suspect will not be needed.

      There certainly will be effects from the storm, but at present the east
      coast still exists.

      Keep things safe for me back in Ohio for when I return!

      73 - Mike WA8BXN/3
    • KQ8M
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 29, 2012

        Hi Mike,

        Well, we do have areas out of power here in Lake County. I just went out to my shed and brought in my lawn mower and snow blower as it is starting to go under. We have winds at 40MPH Steady and gusts to 60 so far but they suspect it will get worse. You should see the news shots from across I90 and the Cleveland water treatment plant. Waves are hitting the shore and shooting across the highway and hitting the plant. lol

        73,

        Tim Herrick, KQ8M

        Charter Member North Coast Contesters

        kq8m@...

        AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org

        I'm visiting a friend here in Wilmington, DE where there was fear of a
        flooded basement with the forecasts of lots of rain and widespread power
        outages. Drove out from Ohio on Sunday loaded with generators, extension
        cords, backup pump, food and all. Granted, I am not on the coast in sight of
        water, but things so far have not been bad at all. No power outage, basic
        sump pump in basement running intermittently. I guess I mostly brought an
        insurance policy that I suspect will not be needed.

        There certainly will be effects from the storm, but at present the east
        coast still exists.

        Keep things safe for me back in Ohio for when I return!

        73 - Mike WA8BXN/3

      • Shirley Márquez Dúlcey
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 29, 2012
          So far all is well here; the power has stayed on and nothing has crashed into my house. Boston didn't get the worst of this storm (the storm track went well to the west of us); people in the central and western parts of the state and on Cape Cod have been hit much harder. News reports have over 350,000 people in Massachusetts without power, including a number of people I know.
        • Rick Simpson
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 29, 2012
            No problems here at 1200' msl in West Virginia. Just on the edge of the snow zone. So far just a quarter inch of sleet with lots of rain and wind. Looks like the generator will just keep holding down the front porch.

            K3IND

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 29, 2012
              So far so good here in N. Jersey (near Elizabeth). Lost power 7 or 8 times but it just comes back on after a few seconds.  In between the power flickers probably down to 50-60V. Happened uncountable times in the last few hours. Wind gusts literally shake the house. You can feel the walls move. Aluminum siding from someones house blew down the street. I know its not from mine: wrong color.  In the morning we'll see what the roof looks like and if all the vhf antennas are intact (HF antenna blew down a few weeks ago in a wind storm). It had been up for 12 years so I guess its time for a new one anyway.

              Hope everyone fares as well as us.

              73,
              Lenny W2BVH

              On 10/29/2012 8:20 PM, KQ8M wrote:

              I hope all of the East Coast members of the lists I am sending this to are safe and have the hatches battened down. We here in North East Ohio have gotten several inches of rain so far and with a long time to go it looks like my shed will be under water and my basement will be flooded. Areas here are already losing power. So far so good here.

              Those on the east coast are bearing the brunt of this I wish them well.