[softrock40] HDSDR

    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 29, 2012
      From: "Chris
      Subject: Re: [softrock40] RXTX ensemble Trouble

      > Speaking of HDSDR, should you be able to change main frequency, not
      > just LO frequency in the HDSDR display using the mouse? I can only
      > change LO,

      Chris,

      You may only tune like that within the range of the LO, consider it fixed.

      But there are several ways of tuning, drag the scale, look at the htm in the program file for keyboard shortcuts. Use the numeric
      keypad.

      and often after that there are odd anomalies, such as the
      > main frequency doesn't track it until I click on the waterfall, or, as

      Hm?

      > in this posters case, the USB connection drops.

      This should never happen.

      > Finally, if I try and create a "user" frequency in frequency manager
      > and save it the whole application locks up, to the point I need task
      > Manager to kill it.

      Well, I've got a dozen User frequencies set and never a problem.

      HDSDR v 2.15 has always worked well for me. Maybe it's something with you, or your setup.

      73 Alan G4ZFQ
    • Glen
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 16, 2013
        Hello,

        My HDSDR works just fine with the Ensemble two on an antenna.

        However, today I hooked it up to the K3 IF output at 8.215Mhz. I went into
        HDSR and changed
        the RF Front End from antenna to IF, and told it to use HRD as the radio
        interface.

        The display DOES show the correct frequency of the K3 and tracks. The
        display shows nothing except
        the normal background noise generated from the Ensemble 2. I unplug the
        Ensemble 2 from the sound
        card, and the noise drops a bit.

        Has anyone done this? Is there a better panadapter program out there that
        works with the Ensemble 2?

        PowerSDR says it works with the softrock 40, but nothing I changed would
        make it work there either,
        not even noise.

        TIA and happy father's day!

        73's

        Glen K4KV
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 16, 2013
          Subject: [softrock40] HDSDR

          > However, today I hooked it up to the K3 IF output at 8.215Mhz. I went into
          > HDSR and changed
          > the RF Front End from antenna to IF, and told it to use HRD as the radio
          > interface.
          >
          > The display DOES show the correct frequency of the K3 and tracks. The
          > display shows nothing except
          > the normal background noise generated from the Ensemble 2. I unplug the
          > Ensemble 2 from the sound
          > card, and the noise drops a bit.

          Glen

          Do you see anything when you just connect the Softrock to the K3 IF and tune it to 8.215MHz? Without any extra settings in HDSDR.
          It should work, HDSDR will just stay at 8.215, not show the true frequency the K3 is tuned to.

          If you do see signals then maybe you did not setup things correctly. <https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/hdsdr-if-pano> shows
          my setup although I've not tried HRD.
          Of course HDSDR is expecting a fixed-tuned SDR. I do not know if the ExtIO may be used. I've always used HDSDR without the DLL and
          set the startup frequency with CFGSR.

          > Has anyone done this? Is there a better panadapter program out there that
          > works with the Ensemble 2?
          >
          > PowerSDR says it works with the softrock 40, but nothing I changed would
          > make it work there either,
          > not even noise.

          Any software should show signals when tuned around 8.215. If it does not it is something wrong with your setup.
          There is an IF version of PSDR but that will not help you now.

          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 17, 2013

            > However, today I hooked it up to the K3 IF output at 8.215Mhz. I went into
            > HDSR and changed
            > the RF Front End from antenna to IF, and told it to use HRD as the radio
            > interface.
            >
            > The display DOES show the correct frequency of the K3 and tracks. The
            > display shows nothing except
            > the normal background noise generated from the Ensemble 2. I unplug the
            > Ensemble 2 from the sound
            > card, and the noise drops a bit.

            Glen

            I said :-"Of course HDSDR is expecting a fixed-tuned SDR. I do not know if the ExtIO may be used. I've always used HDSDR without the
            DLL and set the startup frequency with CFGSR."

            I have now checked, setting "IF-frequency:" in HDSDR should set the Softrock to your chosen centre frequency. No need to do it my
            way.

            73 Alan G4ZFQ
          • Ken Chase
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 16, 2013
              Hi all

              It's been over a year since I've played with the V9 and RXTX. I've installed the lastest CFGSR and HDSDR. I seem to remember HDSDR having a phase 'circle' on the interface to tune the carrier. Has it been replaced with the 'TUNE' changing color with the carrier signal?

              73

              Ken VA3ABN
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 16, 2013

                >It's been over a year since I've played with the V9 and RXTX. I've installed the lastest CFGSR and HDSDR. I seem to remember HDSDR
                >having a phase 'circle' on the interface to tune the carrier. Has it been replaced with the 'TUNE' changing color with the carrier
                >signal?

                Ken,

                No, it's on the Calibration option.

                73 Alan G4ZFQ
              • Ken Chase
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 16, 2013
                  Thanks Allan. I found your link explaining the features in HDSDR.

                  73

                  Ken VA3ABN