Re: RXTX ensemble Trouble

  • Jaco Le roux
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 29, 2012
      Please see attached links for pictures for more info, I am listening a radio station on 6.190mHz and then changed to 80m and it still RX the radio station.

      http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/kEWOUFRozGnb9VvS84fsxt8bIbhBk4QGEXq9KNMHKjF6vBqMYExQ0Q4JZU_p1Z75h-AS1LkKqfmmVl7Np73x3vDlCRFT/ZS6PX/Pic1.png

      http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/kEWOUIkp8XPb9VvS1Oz9O0x1UuMWe2Z-JHCITh5EoURoLn4eGlC9S-9WPoC-SwAnPhfr2qrukDsmClmCiBwqFU_iws3D/ZS6PX/Pic2.png

      Thank you

      73'
      Jaco de ZS6PX

      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 29, 2012
        Subject: [softrock40] RXTX ensemble Trouble

        > What my problem is, is when I do that it does change the center LO but it doesn't change the actual frequency of the stations, the
        > other test was I have change bands from 40m to 80m and all the stations on 40m are still on the waterfall while on 80m it seem to
        > be stuck on 40m, I have tried to disconnect the USB but then when reconnected it doesn't come back,

        You see the HDSDR display change but in fact nothing changes.
        There is a USB or Si570 control problem.
        Check here, <https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/attiny_usb> but it seems you may be connected. In that case check GFGSR's
        Test tab <http://www.pe0fko.nl/CFGSR/> It should have all the fields filled and no error when Get is clicked.

        Most likely a bad joint on pins 7/8 of the Si570.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • Chris Wilson
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 29, 2012

          > Subject: [softrock40] RXTX ensemble Trouble

          >> What my problem is, is when I do that it does change the center LO but it doesn't change the actual frequency of the stations, the
          >> other test was I have change bands from 40m to 80m and all the stations on 40m are still on the waterfall while on 80m it seem to
          >> be stuck on 40m, I have tried to disconnect the USB but then when reconnected it doesn't come back,

          > You see the HDSDR display change but in fact nothing changes.
          > There is a USB or Si570 control problem.
          > Check here, <https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/attiny_usb>
          > but it seems you may be connected. In that case check GFGSR's
          > Test tab <http://www.pe0fko.nl/CFGSR/> It should have all the
          > fields filled and no error when Get is clicked.

          > Most likely a bad joint on pins 7/8 of the Si570.

          > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

          29/10/2012 10:51

          Speaking of HDSDR, should you be able to change main frequency, not
          just LO frequency in the HDSDR display using the mouse? I can only
          change LO, and often after that there are odd anomalies, such as the
          main frequency doesn't track it until I click on the waterfall, or, as
          in this posters case, the USB connection drops.

          Finally, if I try and create a "user" frequency in frequency manager
          and save it the whole application locks up, to the point I need task
          Manager to kill it. Otherwise it's a wonderful SDR app :)

          --
          Best Regards,
          Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 29, 2012
            Hi I have to say, I have made about 52 QSO's with this RXTX, I can't think that there might be a bad joint at pin 7/8, I have re-soldered it just for in case, Still the same problem.

            Download this HDSDR RF Wav file and see what it does.

            https://www.dropbox.com/s/h1ifhjazsc7fsll/HDSDR_20121029_110632Z_6175kHz_RF.wav

            This is really baking my noodle, I believe that there might be a problem with the Si570 or the ATTiny, but now like I said when it happens I can still access the Si570 with CFGSR.

            Test tab on CFGSR:
            Si570 Reg [7:12] ?? RX Power Down ??

            What would be the problem.

            It also might be that something get hot and then stops working but how would one know.

            Thank you

            '73

            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 29, 2012
              Subject: [softrock40] Re: RXTX ensemble Trouble

              > Hi I have to say, I have made about 52 QSO's with this RXTX, I can't think that there might be a bad joint at pin 7/8, I have
              > re-soldered it just for in case, Still the same problem.
              >
              > Test tab on CFGSR:
              > Si570 Reg [7:12] ?? RX Power Down ??

              I do not need to look at your file.
              This is the error message I told you to look for.

              The ATTiny is not communicating with the Si570.
              Sorry, I repeat, bad soldering is the most likely problem.
              It does not matter how long you have used it. A bad joint can show at any time.

              >like I said when it happens I can still access the Si570 with CFGSR.

              Like I said, you are NOT accessing the Si570.

              73 Alan G4ZFQ

              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 29, 2012
                OK, Let me put it this way, every time I re-solder the Si570 and plug it in it works for a while, So I have done this test,

                I have disconnected everything for about 20min and reconnected it to the PC, It worked again.

                Now, I have found that the Si570 does get hot but not like in very much, Tested temp round about 42 - 45 Degrees C.. (not a good thermometer)

                after 30min...
                I have re-solder the Si570 again with lots of solder and it keep going now for about 30min, but will see if this is going to work...

                Thanks for now.

                73'

                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 29, 2012
                  This time it lasted for 41min, it still the same.... I'm starting to think that the Si570 is damaged.

                  73'

                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 29, 2012
                    Hi Alan,

                    Something is seriously wrong here, I have tried to TX when all is running and does seem to tx but with now power out, I have set my other radio to a frequency and TX from the RXTX, I can hear myself but the meter does not reflect any power out, While TX'ing I took the board in my hands to see If there could be something ells that I can see and when I touched the 2N2222 heat sink the audio on the receiver radio become very loud, but still nou output, Will this be part of the same problem I'm having or what ells could be the problem.

                    Sorry for all the trouble, I just want to enjoy the RXTX as I did before.

                    73'

                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 30, 2012
                      From: "Jaco

                      > Something is seriously wrong here, I have tried to TX when all is running and does seem to tx but with now power out, I have set
                      > my other radio to a frequency and TX from the RXTX, I can hear myself but the meter does not reflect any power out, While TX'ing I
                      > took the board in my hands to see If there could be something ells that I can see and when I touched the 2N2222 heat sink the
                      > audio on the receiver radio become very loud, but still nou output, Will this be part of the same problem I'm having or what ells
                      > could be the problem.

                      This does seem to be a second fault.
                      But you must ignore this until the first is cured.
                      One thing at a time. Get the RX correct first.

                      >> This time it lasted for 41min, it still the same.... I'm starting to think that the Si570 is damaged.
                      >> > OK, Let me put it this way, every time I re-solder the Si570 and plug it in it works for a while, So I have done this test,
                      >> > I have disconnected everything for about 20min and reconnected it to the PC, It worked again.
                      >> > Now, I have found that the Si570 does get hot but not like in very much, Tested temp round about 42 - 45 Degrees C.. (not a
                      >> > good thermometer)

                      The Si570 temperature seems about normal but, yes, it could be faulty.

                      Have you checked the joints on pins 2 and 6 of U1? U1 could be faulty but I have never known one to fail in this way.

                      Make absolutely sure that components and voltages around U1 and U3 are correct and soldered well with any excess around the Si570
                      removed with solder wick.
                      Then maybe it is time to try a replacement Si570.
                      It would be easier to try a new U1 first but I feel that is not so likely.

                      73 Alan G4ZFQ
                    • Jaco Le roux
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 3, 2012
                        Hi Alan,

                        I have had sometime to look at my RXTX, I found that it draws 114mA on the 12volt side with out USB, I have checked the voltage of the 5 volt Regulator and found that it only gives me 1.3 Volt out and get hot, on the input side I only measure 3.5volt. I have removed the 78L05 and tested the current draw at 0.40mA without USB.

                        On the input line of the 78l05 there is 12volt with 78L05 removed.

                        I also found that when every thing is connected to PC and I tap on the pcb, sometimes it starts receiving but not for long.

                        I can't see any short anywhere, and don't know where to look anymore.

                        Thank you

                        > From: "Jaco
                        > Subject: [softrock40] Re: RXTX ensemble Trouble
                        >

                        > > Something is seriously wrong here, I have tried to TX when all is running and does seem to tx but with now power out, I have set
                        > > my other radio to a frequency and TX from the RXTX, I can hear myself but the meter does not reflect any power out, While TX'ing I
                        > > took the board in my hands to see If there could be something ells that I can see and when I touched the 2N2222 heat sink the
                        > > audio on the receiver radio become very loud, but still nou output, Will this be part of the same problem I'm having or what ells
                        > > could be the problem.
                        >
                        > This does seem to be a second fault.
                        > But you must ignore this until the first is cured.
                        > One thing at a time. Get the RX correct first.
                        >

                        > >> This time it lasted for 41min, it still the same.... I'm starting to think that the Si570 is damaged.
                        > >> >

                        > The Si570 temperature seems about normal but, yes, it could be faulty.
                        >
                        > Have you checked the joints on pins 2 and 6 of U1? U1 could be faulty but I have never known one to fail in this way.
                        >
                        > Make absolutely sure that components and voltages around U1 and U3 are correct and soldered well with any excess around the Si570
                        > removed with solder wick.
                        > Then maybe it is time to try a replacement Si570.
                        > It would be easier to try a new U1 first but I feel that is not so likely.
                        >
                        > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                      • Jaco Le roux
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 4, 2012
                          Hi All,

                          I have checked the output to ground on the 5volt regulator with my DMM and got a 10 Ohm reading. I have lifted all the IC's pins connected to the 5v track and still find it to be 10 ohms, If I select continuity on the DMM it beeps and give reading of 10ohm.

                          This might be the problem I have with the 5volt that only measure in at 1.3volt, even the input side of the 5volt where it should be 12volt I only measure 3.5volt, I think something is shorting but I can't find where.

                          Where can I start....

                          Thanks

                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 4, 2012

                            > I have checked the output to ground on the 5volt regulator with my DMM and got a 10 Ohm reading. I have lifted all the IC's pins
                            > connected to the 5v track and still find it to be 10 ohms, If I select continuity on the DMM it beeps and give reading of 10ohm.
                            >
                            > This might be the problem I have with the 5volt that only measure in at 1.3volt, even the input side of the 5volt where it should
                            > be 12volt I only measure 3.5volt, I think something is shorting but I can't find where.

                            Jaco,

                            I was wondering if you had used 10 ohms for R61, 62.
                            Your measurements do not quite support that but, maybe...
                            Check these and the connections where they join to T5 and U10. Maybe a short to ground here.
                            Report, I need to think!

                            73 Alan G4ZFQ
                          • Jaco Le roux
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 5, 2012
                              Hi,

                              All resistors are checked and is the right values,

                              I have the short on the board fixed, but it still doesn't receive, but if I twist the pcb it starts to receive, Now to find where that problem is, I think that it might be one of the Transformers, the only thing I don't know is If I check the continuity of the Transformers all checked out, will remove them and re-solder them.

                              Thanks

                              Jaco

                              > Subject: [softrock40] Re: RXTX ensemble Trouble
                              >

                              > > I have checked the output to ground on the 5volt regulator with my DMM and got a 10 Ohm reading. I have lifted all the IC's pins
                              > > connected to the 5v track and still find it to be 10 ohms, If I select continuity on the DMM it beeps and give reading of 10ohm.
                              > >
                              > > This might be the problem I have with the 5volt that only measure in at 1.3volt, even the input side of the 5volt where it should
                              > > be 12volt I only measure 3.5volt, I think something is shorting but I can't find where.
                              > >

                              > Jaco,
                              >
                              > I was wondering if you had used 10 ohms for R61, 62.
                              > Your measurements do not quite support that but, maybe...
                              > Check these and the connections where they join to T5 and U10. Maybe a short to ground here.
                              > Report, I need to think!
                              >
                              > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                            • Jaco Le roux
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 6, 2012
                                Hi Alan,

                                All is fine with the resistors, but I have done a test on the IC's.

                                USB & 12volt connected

                                U11:
                                pin1 = 2.63
                                pin2 = 2.54
                                pin3 = 2.54
                                pin4 = 0
                                pin5 = 2.54
                                pin6 = 2.54
                                pin7 = 2.74
                                pin8 = 5.05

                                U10
                                Pin 8 = 0
                                Pins 1 and 15 (PTT OFF) = 0
                                Pin 2 (from Divider) = 2.5
                                Pin 14 (from Divider) = 2.53 (sometimes I measure 5.05 checked for shorts )
                                Pin 7 (to OpAmp) Vdc = 2.54
                                Pin 9 (to OpAmp) Vdc = 2.54
                                Pin 16 (Vdd) Vdc = 5.05
                                Pins 1 and 15 (PTT ON) = 5.05

                                U6 & U7 ( This is where I found a problem )

                                Left IC, Pin 1 Vdc = 0.3
                                Left IC, Pin 2 Vdc = 0.3
                                Left IC, Pin 3 Vdc = 0.3
                                Left IC, Pin 4 Vdc = 0
                                Left IC, Pin 5 Vdc = 0.3
                                Left IC, Pin 6 Vdc = 0.3
                                Left IC, Pin 7 Vdc = 0.3
                                Left IC, Pin 8 Vdc = 5.05
                                Right IC, Pin 1 Vdc = 0.3
                                Right IC, Pin 2 Vdc = 0.3
                                Right IC, Pin 3 Vdc = 0.3
                                Right IC, Pin 4 Vdc = 0
                                Right IC, Pin 5 Vdc = 0.3
                                Right IC, Pin 6 Vdc = 0.3
                                Right IC, Pin 7 Vdc = 0.3
                                Right IC, Pin 8 Vdc = 5.05

                                U8 ( Did check for any dry joints just can't find any, re-soldered the board )

                                A: Pin 2 Vdc = 2.55
                                B: Pin 14 Vdc = 2.50
                                C: Pin 7 (R30 hairpin) Vdc = 2.02
                                D: Pin 9 (R31 hairpin) Vdc = 2.02
                                E: Pin 13 (R25 hairpin) Vdc = (Starts at 2volt then decrease, voltage increase if PCB get's twisted)
                                F: Pin 10 (R26 hairpin) Vdc = (Starts at 2volt then decrease, voltage increase if PCB get's twisted)
                                G: Pin 12 (R27 hairpin) Vdc = (Starts at 2volt then decrease, voltage increase if PCB get's twisted)
                                H: Pin 11 (R28 hairpin) Vdc = (Starts at 2volt then decrease, voltage increase if PCB get's twisted)

                                U5

                                At U5

                                R13 hairpin (wrt regular ground) Vdc = 2.51
                                R14 hairpin (wrt regular ground) Vdc = 5.05

                                Pin 1 (blue point) Vdc = 5.05
                                Pin 2 (yellow point) Vdc = 2.48
                                Pin 3 (yellow point) Vdc = 2.52
                                Pin 4 (blue point) Vdc = 5.05
                                Pin 5 (yellow point) Vdc = 2.5
                                Pin 6 (yellow point) Vdc = 2.54 (sometimes 5.05, twist PCB then voltage back to 2.54)
                                Pin 7 (regular ground) Vdc = 0
                                Pin 8 (yellow point) Vdc = 2.55
                                Pin9 (yellow point) Vdc = 2.5
                                Pin 10 (blue point) Vdc = 5.05
                                Pin 11 (yellow point) Vdc = 2.52
                                Pin 12 (yellow point) Vdc = 2.54
                                Pin 11 (blue point) Vdc = 5.05
                                Pin 14 (blue point) Vdc = 5.05

                                Si570

                                pin1 = 3.28
                                pin2 = 3.28
                                pin3 = 0
                                pin4 = 1.61
                                pin5 = 0.3
                                pin6 = 3.29
                                pin7 = 3.29
                                pin8 = 0.930

                                This is it, I hope that there is some good answers for this, I'm tiered of searching for the problem, I would just like to get this thing working.

                                I have also changed the 5volt regulator due to some problem it had or got, I have measured it of the PCB and got a 12v output for only a second and then it just go to 0volt.

                                Thanks for the help this far.

                                73' Jaco de ZS6PX

                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 7, 2012

                                  Jaco,

                                  Lots of figures!
                                  The trouble when twisting the board seems to be something around U5 or U10. Somewhere around the QSD 1 line there must be a bad
                                  joint, maybe a crack in a track. Or maybe something shorting, even a whisker of PCB material like we've seen on other boards
                                  recently but only connecting intermittently.
                                  You do not mention pin U5 12, that is connected to pin 6.

                                  The U8 voltage change, I'm not sure. The voltage on those pins is fed through from pins 7,9 when it is clocking. So it may be
                                  associated with whatever the above fault turns out to be.

                                  With U6 and 7, the votages on pins 3 and 5 all come from the divider R21/R22.
                                  So for them to be wrong the resistors could be of wrong value.
                                  Possible faulty IC, raise each pin one by one, see if R21 hairpin goes to 2V5.
                                  Possible faulty capacitors, C58, 59, 10.
                                  The voltage here will affect all others on the ICs so must be correct.

                                  Yes, it is annoying when things go wrong. But maybe one day you will be like me, disappointed when something works first time. What
                                  do I do next?? This is where you begin to learn things.

                                  73 Alan G4ZFQ

                                • Jaco Le roux
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 8, 2012
                                    Hi Alan,

                                    OMG, Something happened and now I have found that the two FTS3253 IC has blown, I have tested it on board with my DMM and receive a full continuity on the meter so I have removed the two 3253's and tested it again.

                                    Pins shorting on one of them, pin 8 to pin 14 and the other one pin 8 to pin 14 & 15.

                                    Now my problem is that there aren't any suppliers locally for this IC's... Darn...

                                    I think That I will have to order another Kit form Tony and maybe ask him if he could in someway add some extra parts in that one. It is just to expensive to only ship a few parts for the other side.

                                    Thank you for all the help and hopefully I will get it fix when I receive some new parts...

                                    73'
                                    Jaco de ZS6PX

> [...]
                                    > > D: Pin 9 (R31 hairpin) Vdc = 2.02
                                    > > E: Pin 13 (R25 hairpin) Vdc = (Starts at 2volt then decrease, voltage increase if PCB get's twisted)
                                    > > F: Pin 10 (R26 hairpin) Vdc = (Starts at 2volt then decrease, voltage increase if PCB get's twisted)
                                    > > G: Pin 12 (R27 hairpin) Vdc = (Starts at 2volt then decrease, voltage increase if PCB get's twisted)
                                    > > H: Pin 11 (R28 hairpin) Vdc = (Starts at 2volt then decrease, voltage increase if PCB get's twisted)
                                    > >
                                    > > U5
                                    > >
                                    > > At U5
                                    > >
                                    > > R13 hairpin (wrt regular ground) Vdc = 2.51
                                    > > R14 hairpin (wrt regular ground) Vdc = 5.05
                                    > >
                                    > > Pin 1 (blue point) Vdc = 5.05
                                    > > Pin 2 (yellow point) Vdc = 2.48
                                    > > Pin 3 (yellow point) Vdc = 2.52
                                    > > Pin 4 (blue point) Vdc = 5.05
                                    > > Pin 5 (yellow point) Vdc = 2.5
                                    > > Pin 6 (yellow point) Vdc = 2.54 (sometimes 5.05, twist PCB then voltage back to 2.54)

                                  • cbayona.cb
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Nov 8, 2012
                                      <
                                      http://www.thepartsplace.k5nwa.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=56

                                      Small store but I carry that part.

                                      At 04:09 AM 11/8/2012, you wrote:
                                      >Hi Alan,
                                      >
                                      >OMG, Something happened and now I have found that the two FTS3253 IC
                                      >has blown, I have tested it on board with my DMM and receive a full
                                      >continuity on the meter so I have removed the two 3253's and tested it again.
                                      >
                                      >Pins shorting on one of them, pin 8 to pin 14 and the other one pin
                                      >8 to pin 14 & 15.
                                      >
                                      >Now my problem is that there aren't any suppliers locally for this
                                      >IC's... Darn...
                                      >
                                      >I think That I will have to order another Kit form Tony and maybe
                                      >ask him if he could in someway add some extra parts in that one. It
                                      >is just to expensive to only ship a few parts for the other side.
                                      >
                                      >Thank you for all the help and hopefully I will get it fix when I
                                      >receive some new parts...
                                      >
                                      >73'
                                      >Jaco de ZS6PX
                                      >
                                      >SNIP